Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 Lens + E-PL3 body

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
ET-M4518__M.jpg

Beautifully designed and affordably priced, this lens makes a sensational addition to any enthusiast’s camera kit. Thanks to its fast aperture, the high-power prime lens is absolutely ideal for capturing people in portraits shot that really stand out, with beautiful background blur and vivid contrasts. It is also compatible for movie-making as well, allowing users to shoot top-quality films with extremely fast focusing. On top of all this, it looks good too - packaged in a compact body with a subtle metal-like exterior and complete with interchangeable decoration rings to perfectly match the colour of different PEN cameras.

• Large aperture for a nice depth of field effect
  • Ideal for portrait photography
  • Superb price-performance ratio
  • Sleek metal-like exterior design
  • Interchangeable decoration rings
  • High-speed AF with MSC technology
Focal Length
Focal length 45 mm
Focal length (equiv. 35mm) 90 mm
Lens Construction
Lens configuration 9 lenses / 8 groups
E-HR elements 2
Lens mechanism Inner focus with screw drive mechanism
Angle of view 27 °
Closest focusing distance 0.5 m
Maximum image magnification 0.11 x (Micro Four Thirds) / 0.22 x (35mm format)
Aperture
Number of aperture blades 7 Circular aperture diaphragm for natural background blurring
Maximum aperture 1:1.8
Minimum aperture 1:22
Dimensions
Filter diameter 37 mm
Dimensions 56 mm Ø, 46 mm
Weight 116 g

Weekend is strictly family day for me. The main subject i get to shoot is my prince and princess.

45mm f1.8

P7020105.jpg

P7030131.jpg

P7030191.jpg

The JPEG compression does not make justices to the sharpness of the lens

Full Size.

P7030191-1.jpg

P7020095.jpg

I just picked up the 45mm f1.8 from simon this afternoon

will post ISO tests and F-stop tests (paired with the E-PL3 against a static target set-up with constant light ) this evening when i get home...

sounds great. looking forward to it. btw, does the E-PL3 and E-P3 share the same sensor?

Apologies.... been busy with helping my daughter with her maths homework this evening before i could start uploading any images at all (man, I COULD NOT figure out a few of these questions myself meant for 11 year olds LOL !!) I either got more stupid or kids these days are getting smarter...

OK lets get down to it ..... lets begin with the f-stop tests for the 45/1.8 .... mounted onto a E-PL3 with
ISO at a constant ISO 320
AWB
Constant source of overhead indoor flourescent light
Camera set on a flat book
Camera delayed shutter timer set at 2sec to keep everything still
File saved at LOW '4'
Check the EXIF info for more if you want to know more

f1.8
f1_8.jpg

f2.8
f2_8.jpg

ff3.5
f3_51.jpg

f4.5
f4_51.jpg

f5.6
f5_61.jpg

Last edited:
ISO tests

Again static set up with indoor flourescent lighting
Constant f4.5
Self Timer set at 2sec
Camera/Lens set on a book top

ISO 200
iso2004.jpg

ISO 320
iso320.jpg

ISO 400
iso4003.jpg

ISO 640
iso6401.jpg

ISO 800
iso8007.jpg

The 45mm f1.8 comes in an all-metal body with an all-metal lens mount ..... like its 12mm sister, it reeks of build quality

The lens hood however is polycarbonate (plastic) and is a BAYONET mount (unlike the hood for the 12mm which uses a screw cam )

The 45mm DOES NOT come with a manual/auto ring unlike the 12mm nor is there any indication/button/switch on its barrels that it can be used in manual focus mode ....... BUT it IS ABLE to be focussed manually ..... you'll have to hop into the Menu and switch from AF/AF-C to MF

Below the 45mm mounted on a E-PL3 body side-by-side the 12mm mounted on a E-P3 body nestling in a canvas Domke F3X
pair1.jpg

The 45mm sports a very nice all-metal lens mount
4531.jpg

For a 90mm f1.8 equivalent ...... it is TINY and LIGHT (if you've ever held an 85mm/f1.8 prime from N or C before)
4515.jpg

4521.jpg

With its lens hood reversed in a stowed away position I have YET to see a smaller camera/lens 85/100mm prime lens f2.8 or faster combination THIS compact
epl33.jpg

with the lens hood off its barely the same size profile as a larger PnS super zoom
epl31.jpg

with the hood mounted and LCD screen flipped all out its just a touch longer than my pen
epl32.jpg

the E-PL3 does NOT sport a touchscreen but its swiveling LCD screen, sweet shutter button + intelligent ergonomics keeps it on a close par with its E-P3 sister
epl34.jpg

The E-PL3 has a VERY smart and convenient landing patch for the thumb
Love the way the video shooting, magnifying and fn buittons are placed
I'd dedicate the Fn button for AEL but thats just me
The 'OK' button gives quick access to most major functions
The Menu button brings you to other functions and welcomes you to the sport of Menu Diving

epl35.jpg

Last edited:
Can you comment on how visible the flip-up screen is on the EPL3 in outdoor conditions, preferably including bright light? If you've ever used a Nex, I'd be interested in a comparison of those screens. I'm an m43 shooter who bought a Nex primarily for that screen, which is a wonderful tool for street shooting. And the screen is incredible in outdoor conditions. If the EPL3 screen is even close to that, I'm gonna be at the front of the line for that camera. With its fast AF and all of the m43 lenses I already have, I'd love to sell the Nex and move back to m43 for that type oof shooting.

Thanks,

-Ray

is this gonna be released anytime soon?