Olympus Live Composite Function

Olympus EM10 + Panasonic 7-14mm, 3.2sec, for about 3min. Reversed GND. Single shot Raw

Olympus EM10 + Panasonic 7-14mm, 0.8sec , for about 5min. Soft Edge GND, Single Shot Raw

Live Composite almost 2 hours (4s exposure between sunset and moonrise), 7-14 f4 @ f5.6. Exposure dialed down in LR. Really fun mode to have!
Star trails over Christchurch by Riz4n, on Flickr​

Just a couple more :)

Nice work microboy, last shot though a tad underexposed from my hp. Keep the NZ shots coming :)

Last edited:
Nice work microboy, last shot though a tad underexposed from my hp. Keep the NZ shots coming :)

Thanks for input. Yes it is underexposed through my hp too. My laptop is a bit too bright I guess. Will look into it.

Hi Mr Wong,

I will try to take this shot again tomorrow morning (previous time failed) with the 7-14 F2.8.

Can confirm this was done without any ND ?

Thanks

With 9-18mm, 1/2sec, F9.0 @ 9mm

Hi Mr Wong,

I will try to take this shot again tomorrow morning (previous time failed) with the 7-14 F2.8.

Can confirm this was done without any ND ?

Thanks

No filter, confirmed. But once the sun rises it will be hard to use LC.

Hi Mr Wong,

I did not manage to wake up early in the morning, was wondering if the effect will be the same if I do it during sunset instead of sunrise ?

Thanks

With 9-18mm, 1/2sec, F9.0 @ 9mm

Hi Mr Wong,

I did not manage to wake up early in the morning, was wondering if the effect will be the same if I do it during sunset instead of sunrise ?

Thanks

Hypothetically sunrise should be better with the colours and leading lines, the light trails might be nicer in evenings when it's busier though. There are times I would shoot opposite from sunrise/set direction to capture a different lighting or feel. Achieving same effect doesn't mean achieving same feel in a picture, rather how you want a shot to appeal to audience. But who knows, photography is many a times a journey of exploratory and experimentation for me, perhaps you can try it too and let us know?

Hypothetically sunrise should be better with the colours and leading lines, the light trails might be nicer in evenings when it's busier though. There are times I would shoot opposite from sunrise/set direction to capture a different lighting or feel. Achieving same effect doesn't mean achieving same feel in a picture, rather how you want a shot to appeal to audience. But who knows, photography is many a times a journey of exploratory and experimentation for me, perhaps you can try it too and let us know?
Ok thanks, Mr Wong ...

My lousy 3 Live Composite Pictures coming up ... :embrass::bsmilie:

Ok my 2nd try at Live Composite at sunset ...

Pic 04

Pic 11

Pic 06

Last edited:
Ok my 2nd try at Live Composite at sunset ...

Pic 04

Pic 11

Pic 06

Oh seems like they building some sound barriers already. Better shoot there fast :) good work keep it coming. If you wait out a little longer on last shot, the trails will become more apparent. I might try other angles from other block some other day. Thanks for sharing

Oh seems like they building some sound barriers already. Better shoot there fast :)
My sentiment exactly ... when I saw the steel frames ... it was like both bad news and good news ... bad news is it's gonna spoil the shot ... good news is at least still can take for now ...

I think in a week or two, cannot see the highway liao ..

good work keep it coming. If you wait out a little longer on last shot, the trails will become more apparent.
Ok will try again over the weekend ...

I might try other angles from other block some other day. Thanks for sharing
Yeah but so far other blocks not so nice ... maybe another location all together ...

Thanks for your tips ...

Mr Wong,

I have been wanting to ask you ... it seemed this Live Composite is like doing a long exposure ... the end product is almost identical ?

I also did a long exposure but when I came back to my desktop iMac, I cannot figure out which is done using Live Composite and which is done using long exposure ...

Thanks

Mr Wong,

I have been wanting to ask you ... it seemed this Live Composite is like doing a long exposure ... the end product is almost identical ?

I also did a long exposure but when I came back to my desktop iMac, I cannot figure out which is done using Live Composite and which is done using long exposure ...

Thanks

Had a few examples earlier in this thread showing patchy cloud motions which if you do a single shot of long exposure that matches live composite total time, the result will be different and nicer. There are also other elements apart from clouds as well.

But say if you shoot laser show with a single long exposure shot of few minutes you hardly see much of laser, vs using short timings of few seconds in live composite to stack for few minutes.

Had a few examples earlier in this thread showing patchy cloud motions which if you do a single shot of long exposure that matches live composite total time, the result will be different and nicer. There are also other elements apart from clouds as well.

Yes, can I say that sometimes a single long exposure is better if you wanna achieve the light burst/flare ... ?

Btw is this ok ?

But say if you shoot laser show with a single long exposure shot of few minutes you hardly see much of laser, vs using short timings of few seconds in live composite to stack for few minutes.

Yes, laser like this need live composite:

But is this overdo and too busy liao ?

But if the duration is too long, I find that some parts are over-expose especially at the lighting at the buildings in the background ...

Thanks

Last edited: