Olympus Live Composite Function

Hey Errz, I updated my firmware to Ver 1.4 and the Live Time function is there !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=736808323052570

a video on how it works. damn cool feature. why can't they put it into EM1. Can it be added by firmware update?

actually Spidey89 did one for me while I shot, but still haven't seen it yet haha. knock knock Spidey?:bsmilie:
Yes, knock knock Spidey :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hey Errz, I updated my firmware to Ver 1.4 and the Live Time function is there !

Live composite is a function that allows composites of images made at fixed intervals into 1 image to minimize overexposure or hot pixels one might find when doing long exposures

Live Time is a function akin to allowing his user to see his Long exposure forming gradually as time elapses (you can set this in the menu, read the manual) to allow for easier management of long exposure shots.

Live Time and Live Composite works differently.

Oopss my bad ... read wrongly ...

Live composite is a function that allows composites of images made at fixed intervals into 1 image to minimize overexposure or hot pixels one might find when doing long exposures

Live Time is a function akin to allowing his user to see his Long exposure forming gradually as time elapses (you can set this in the menu, read the manual) to allow for easier management of long exposure shots.

Thanks Keith, will try again after the first "disaster" ... Hahaha

Last edited:

Hi guys.. can confirm whether the new firmware for the E-M1 has the similar feature of "live composite" as the E-M10??

Hi guys.. can confirm whether the new firmware for the E-M1 has the similar feature of "live composite" as the E-M10??

I think in order to confirm, we have to wait for the actual news to be released by Olympus. If im not wrong, should be within the this/next week

Just a bit more to wait :) no one can confirm until the firmware update is officially released.

I believe and have faith that Olympus works hard at giving value to those who stick with the brand.

During live composite shooting, a first base shot will be taken. . How to I expose this 1st shot properly? My lI've composite shots are usually under exposed due to the 1st shot as I'm not able to set shutter speed.
Thanks

During live composite shooting, a first base shot will be taken. . How to I expose this 1st shot properly? My lI've composite shots are usually under exposed due to the 1st shot as I'm not able to set shutter speed.
Thanks

In live composite mode, there's a exposure meter, which will change when you change the speed. You can start off with 0EV. One thing to note is the brightness of your LCD may also trick you as well, but you can see from histogram which will appear after your first shot to help you gauge. If the situation is really tricky, I would just shoot using Aperture Mode to see which settings works best (Aperture & Speed) and set it in Live composite. Hope this helps.

In live composite mode, there's a exposure meter, which will change when you change the speed. You can start off with 0EV. One thing to note is the brightness of your LCD may also trick you as well, but you can see from histogram which will appear after your first shot to help you gauge. If the situation is really tricky, I would just shoot using Aperture Mode to see which settings works best (Aperture & Speed) and set it in Live composite. Hope this helps.

Thanks Wong. Cos i cannot adjust the shutter speed in live composite mode (adjusting shutter speed will take it out of live comp mode). Just realised that pressing menu in live comp mode will take me to the settings which allows me to set the shutter speed.
Thanks alot!

Thanks Wong. Cos i cannot adjust the shutter speed in live composite mode (adjusting shutter speed will take it out of live comp mode). Just realised that pressing menu in live comp mode will take me to the settings which allows me to set the shutter speed.
Thanks alot!

Welcome, glad you figure it out. Have fun with it.

Sharing one done last week while with an overseas friend showing him the laser show (good excuse for me to shoot as well ;p), about 20min composite of 5secs, almost 200shots stacked into 1. Just showing the possibility of having the entire laser show into 1 single shot, that's how useful this function can be. I probably should have underexposed a little more.