Olympus image stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryokane

Aug 9, 2009
I am wondering if i should off or on the stabilizer? Would the picture be sharper without the image stabilizer? I usually try to be as steady as possible and take several shots just in case one of them gets blurred. Does other camera you use also have image stabilizers with focal length?

I don't get your question,how can an image stabilizer,invented to help get you a shake free picture make your picture shakey,if that's what you're asking,sharpness most likely is either out of focus or soft,but assuming that you're talking about shakey images,IS is there to help you get a shake free image in low light,if you train yourself to shoot at slow shutter speeds without IS,if you use IS,you can go even slower

I am refering if will the picture be out of focus?

Out of focus and camera shake are two different things.

Auto focus takes care of the focusing.

Image Stabilizer takes care of the camera shake.

Last edited:
Well, it supposed to help get sharper images when handheld, even at high speeds.

But with a tripod, where movement is miniscule, it is recommended that you turn off IS, because with a camera on a tripod, IS may activate and move during the exposure and will cause an image that is not optimally sharp.

From Canon USA spokesman:
"The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system's detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation.

When there's not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic 'feedback loop,' somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we're all familiar with."

as Diavonex already explained,camera shake and out of couse images are 2 different thing,as clubgrit has also further explained about using IS,so long story cut short,if your pictures always seem blur,just send back to service center for check,lens may have a problem,or camera,but IS does not affect focusing accuracy

Try changing to Centre Weighted Focusing and see if things improve. Keep IS on.

is there even such a thing? Are you referring to the center AF point?

I actually meant Center AF and not Center Weighted AF. Thank you for highlighting the error.

I think it's better to manually set the focus on the object which grid box you want to focus rather than letting the camera let by itself which point it will itself focus. The camera doesn't seem to run auto focus by face detection. But rather by a single point of focus. centre af doesn't always work as the object you want to shoot might not be in the centre of the picture

......centre af doesn't always work as the object you want to shoot might not be in the centre of the picture

You can lock focus on subject and then recompose your picture.

i think there is a face detection,but need to turn it on and in live view

Hmm...I think lock on would be more like selecting the focus point box you want to focus on. Ya. there is face detection but i am saying the face detection doesn't flow the focus point. Face detection is face detection and focus point is focus point. And face detection doesn't work as well as the other cameras. Quite a lot of times it has failed to detect a face as a face.

Status
Not open for further replies.