Olympus Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

togu

Jul 11, 2002
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Hi all,

I'm currently using an E10 and was thinking of getting a flash to take some indoor shots. Que had recommended 2 flash to use:

* Vivitar 285HV
* Suntax 9000DT

Was wondering which flash will give a better performance? :dunno:

* togu waits for Que's reply... :p

Er... I can't afford a FL-40, so that's definitely out. :cry:

Originally posted by togu
[BEr... I can't afford a FL-40, so that's definitely out. :cry: [/B]

I am with you pal , but there is no any other way .
I have just forget the story about getting a flash ,and now i am feeling better . :D

* togu waits for Que's reply... :p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hee... of course i would reply. ;)

the vivitar definitely has better performance. if you can find a sunpak 383 around in singapore (same price as the vivitar -- but not as big, in terms of body), that's even better -- at least you can bounce *and* swivel the flash!

the guy selling the fl-40 sure has a good deal going on. not bidding on it though.

if you want swivel capability, you could consider Metz 32Z-1(~$170) too. At 85mm zoom, it's as powerful as the Sunpak Super 383 (which can't zoom). It's smaller as well. Compared to the Vivitar 285HV, it's weaker by a bit.

Originally posted by SianZronG
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=193911#post193911

Here.... the FL40 and the calbe and the bracket for only $380... it's cheap.... VERY cheap..

Heh, thanks for the info, I saw that posting actually. But for $380, I'll rather get a new third party external flash. :) I'm targetting for a flash which cost between $200 - $250

I have not recover from the pain after getting that E10. :(

Originally posted by Que Lynn

hee... of course i would reply.

the vivitar definitely has better performance. if you can find a sunpak 383 around in singapore (same price as the vivitar -- but not as big, in terms of body), that's even better -- at least you can bounce *and* swivel the flash!

Thanks for the reply! :)

if you want swivel capability, you could consider Metz 32Z-1(~$170) too. At 85mm zoom

Hrm.....now I need to compare more flash, it's all Que and Mpenza's fault. :cry:

Heh, Just Kidding! :p

Guess I might just visit Peninsula this afternoon and take a look at the Vivitar, Sunpak (if i can find it :dunno: ) and Metz flash. I'm just working around that area anyway.

Thanks for all the help!! :gbounce:

Originally posted by syncmaster

I am with you pal , but there is no any other way .
I have just forget the story about getting a flash ,and now i am feeling better . :D

I can't ! I have not even started my story!! :cry:

:p

newbie here :)

may i know what other flash is compatible with Olympus 730UZ other than the FL-40? tks.

Originally posted by rncw
newbie here :)

may i know what other flash is compatible with Olympus 730UZ other than the FL-40? tks.

Heh, welcome to the party! :angel:

I had just collected some infos for myself,

1. Vivitar 285HV
2. Sunpak 383
3. Metz 32Z
4. Suntax 9000DT

But I'm not sure if these flashs are suitable for the 730UZ, wait for the experts advice. :p

May the force be with you.
:bsmilie:

Heh, welcome to the party! :angel:

I had just collected some infos for myself,

1. Vivitar 285HV
2. Sunpak 383
3. Metz 32Z
4. Suntax 9000DT

But I'm not sure if these flashs are suitable for the 730UZ, wait for the experts advice. :p

May the force be with you.
:bsmilie:

some how the above few have becum a standard manual flash for non TTL users like us :D

But I'm not sure if these flashs are suitable for the 730UZ,

The 730UZ lacks both a hotshoe and a PC-Sync output. Thus only slave flashes can be used with it.

The only way to use those flashes mentioned with the 730UZ would be to fit them on a slave hotshoe and use the internal flash to trigger.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

The 730UZ lacks both a hotshoe and a PC-Sync output. Thus only slave flashes can be used with it.

The only way to use those flashes mentioned with the 730UZ would be to fit them on a slave hotshoe and use the internal flash to trigger.

OiC... didn't know the 730 don't have external sync flash capabilites... :D

Damn,

Just came back from CP, they are not carrying Vivitar and Sunpak. The Metz 32Z was selling at $200 (Best Price) and they are like

"Why don't you get the Fl-40? Easier....blah blah"
"How much?"
"$665 (Best Price)"
"Wah!!!! :what: "

They are real nice people tho, but I just can't bear with my $600 :cry:

By the way, there's another shop which was selling the Vivitar 285HV, but he was telling me that for digital cameras, I can't use the traditional 285HV. I'm confused...any clues? :confused:

Syncmaster, I can start writing about my "story" now. :cry:

=By the way, there's another shop which was selling the Vivitar 285HV, but he was telling me that for digital cameras, I can't use the traditional 285HV. I'm confused...any clues? :confused:

Your E10 has a hotshoe. The Vivitar285HV will work fine on it.

By the way, there's another shop which was selling the Vivitar 285HV, but he was telling me that for digital cameras, I can't use the traditional 285HV.

Let me guess... Fotoguide?

One of the guys there told me the same thing. :p

Anyway, I do have a 285HV, and I do use it. I also have a Sunpak 383, which I use more often.

In case you ask why so many flashes - it's because when they're off my E10's hotshoe, they're on my lightstands, under silver umbrellas. :D

One thing to be wary about when buying the 285HV, gotta make sure it's not an "older model". This flash has been around for years, and the older versions of this same model may have higher trigger voltages unsuitable for use with digitals (like the E10).

Originally posted by Zerstorer
No, you're thinking of the C-720UZ. The new C-730UZ does indeed once again have the Olympus proprietary flash connector, as well as a lot of the other 'goodies' from the C-700UZ that were left out in the C-720UZ.

Just came back from CP, they are not carrying Vivitar and Sunpak. The Metz 32Z was selling at $200 (Best Price) and they are like "Why don't you get the Fl-40? Easier....blah blah"
If you don't wish to part with the cash required to get a TTL flash for your Olympus E-10, I heartily agree with the recommendation that the Vivitar 285HV and Sunpak Super 383 Auto are by far the best non-dedicated flashguns in terms of bang-for-buck and versatility. I have a Sunpak 383 myself, but they're extremely hard to find in Singapore, so I'd definitely go with the Vivitar unit if I were you. Just my two pennies' worth. :)

In case you ask why so many flashes - it's because when they're off my E10's hotshoe, they're on my lightstands, under silver umbrellas.

* togu drools... ;p

You are right! That's the shop! Hrm, how am I able to tell the difference between the new and old models? Any hints?

I have a Sunpak 383 myself, but they're extremely hard to find in Singapore

Ok, so the conclusions is, I should go for a Vivitar 285HV, or Sunpak 383(only if I can find it). Cheers.... :gbounce:

Another reason for not getting the FL-40 is, I'm still pretty new to photography, doesn't really want to spend too much on expensive equipements. I'll rather spend the cash on getting more batteries and save up the rest :rolleyes:

Another reason for not getting the FL-40 is, I'm still pretty new to photography, doesn't really want to spend too much on expensive equipements. I'll rather spend the cash on getting more batteries and save up the rest :rolleyes:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another plus about going for the non-dedicated flashguns is that you'll probably learn more about flash photography technique that way compared to using a TTL flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.