Olympus EM10 vs Ricoh GR V

Ted100

Nov 17, 2014
Singapore
Hi all

I'm upgrading from a Fuji F30 to something better. I had my heart set on the Oly EM10 (probably with the 25mm f1.8) but recently started looking at the Ricoh GR V.

Photos will mostly be for the family, we had a baby recently so wanted better quality photos in lowlight and indoors.

I chose the EM10 because of the availability of fast lens, IBIS and face detect. Fast lens was one of my requirements, but the IBIS and face detect was huge plus for when someone else (i.e. the wife) uses the camera - kind of a guarantee that I will get decently clear shots.

Also considering the Ricoh GR because of the size and photo quality. With reality hitting me (didn't realise babies required a logistics team for diapers, food & toys when we leave the house), having a smaller camera makes sense. Not fussed with the fixed 28mm lens (I was pretty impressed with photo quality on the reviews I read) but lack of stabilisation and face detect could be an issue when other people use the camera. Plus since the GR V is a slightly older model, I'm wondering if there will be GR VI coming soon.

Realise that EM10 vs Ricoh GR V isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I'd still like to hear some opinions from the folks here.

Cheers!

It's gonna be a hard to compare thing , not because one is totally better than the other but these are 2 very different cameras.

For one , if u don't even need interchangeable lenses, then there's plenty of fixed lenses cameras to choose from the RX100M3 to X100S to even the Leica X.

For interchangeable lenses, the EM10 is gonna be a superb choice ; strengths are already given by u too ;)

One thing I can say is , even u plan on shooting kids, fast and accurate AF is something MFT excels in.

I'm not sure which model is GR V. Only know GRD IV, & GR. I do have GR & EM10 and use it different purposes.

You did summarize yourself well on the difference, GR is a fantastic camera for street, snaps and even landscape but lowlight the focusing can be a bit troublesome, for indoor kids quite tough. When I'm doing street GR would be what I reach out, though the Panasonic LX100 is coming into the picture as well. I would agree with Keith Em10 maybe a better choice for you for the AF and lens change flexibility.

Thanks guys. Probably should have updated this - I bought the EM10 in the end, with the 25mm lens. So far loving it but need to get used to carrying a bulkier camera. I don't like the strap that came with the camera, so top on my list of things to get is a better sling strap and a camera case.

Will probably get a dry cabinet later, but haven't done enough research to buy yet.

Will probably get a dry cabinet later, but haven't done enough research to buy yet.
Don't delay for too long. Dry cabinet are not rocket size. Select the size, don't get mislead by 'analog' or 'digital' (dry air is the same) and just get it.

Don't delay for too long. Dry cabinet are not rocket size. Select the size, don't get mislead by 'analog' or 'digital' (dry air is the same) and just get it.

Sure, did a quick google and I think I will get the basic DB-036N model for now.

Another question. I just picked up my free 45mm lens and I notice the blue protective stickers around the lens. For some reason, there wasn't any blue stickers on the 25mm lens I bought.

Don't want to sound paranoid, but was I sold a returned or second hand unit?

Another question. I just picked up my free 45mm lens and I notice the blue protective stickers around the lens. For some reason, there wasn't any blue stickers on the 25mm lens I bought.
Can't comment on that, Canon does not put any stickers on any lenses.
Stickers are a transport protection, meant to be taken off before usage. Some of them are so flimsy (to avoid sticky residue) that they come off easily when someone unpacks the camera. Unless you find serious hints that this camera has been used, or any malfunction, I wouldn't waste sleep over it. You got the warranty to cover malfunction or material / production errors.

Sure, did a quick google and I think I will get the basic DB-036N model for now.

You can call their hotline to clarify.

Sure, did a quick google and I think I will get the basic DB-036N model for now. Another question. I just picked up my free 45mm lens and I notice the blue protective stickers around the lens. For some reason, there wasn't any blue stickers on the 25mm lens I bought. Don't want to sound paranoid, but was I sold a returned or second hand unit?

My memory serves me right , there was blue stickers around the 25/1.8 when I bought it. 45/1.8 sure have as I just unwrapped one today lol.

Anyway , u do have warranty so u have the peace of mind.

I just checked my 45mm F1.8 lens and it also has the blue sticker around.

It is normal for Olympus lens to come with blue protective sheet, nothing to worry about. As for the 25mm... was it the panasonic one or the Olympus one, if it is the panasonic one, then... yeah, it didn't have any blue protective sheet. If it is the Oly one, there might be.

I bought an oly 25mm recently, no blue protective sheet as well

All, thanks for the replies.

I called up Olympus and they confirmed that the 25mm lens does not come with the blue protective sticker.

I'm pretty much set now, only need a dry cabinet for storage and better strap.

All, thanks for the replies.

I called up Olympus and they confirmed that the 25mm lens does not come with the blue protective sticker.

I'm pretty much set now, only need a dry cabinet for storage and better strap.

Buy a bigger cabinet for future purchase =) 50L above and depend on your budget too

Buy a bigger cabinet for future purchase =) 50L above and depend on your budget too

My main problem is actually space. I have a small area on the TV bench but the 50l will be just a little too big. There's a baby in the house so everything needs to be elevated from curious fingers.

My main problem is actually space. I have a small area on the TV bench but the 50l will be just a little too big. There's a baby in the house so everything needs to be elevated from curious fingers.

Can always lock the cabinet door... I believe most cabinets (if not all) comes with a locking mechanism.

Can always lock the cabinet door...

Yup, I did think about that, even putting on those child locks. Still, my preference is to keep it away rather than make it a challenge for the baby to open or break =)

Newbie question (doh) but is there a place to order the cabinets online and get free delivery as well? I think I have seen $128 as the most common price for the DB036N.

Also, is it better to keep the cabinet in a constant external temperature environment (living room where temp will be warmer) or where it is colder (bedroom with a/c but only switched on at nights so temp will fluctuate between daytime and night time)?

Newbie question (doh) but is there a place to order the cabinets online and get free delivery as well? I think I have seen $128 as the most common price for the DB036N.

I think for DigiCabi, only those 50L and above have free delivery. 036 have to cash and carry. And If I'm not mistaken, all shops should be selling the same price for DigiCabi.

Also, is it better to keep the cabinet in a constant external temperature environment (living room where temp will be warmer) or where it is colder (bedroom with a/c but only switched on at nights so temp will fluctuate between daytime and night time)?
Temperature is not relevant for storing. What matter is relative humidity.
Of course, when you switch on the aircon the inside RH reading will drop because both aircons work together in lowering the RH. During daytime the RH inside the cabinet is controlled by the cabinet unit.