Olympus EM10 Or Nikon D5300

marle

Jan 14, 2008
Hi guys,

i am choosing between the Olympus EM10 Or Nikon D5300.

My goal is to take quality images and reviews has said the nikon D5300 is a good camera for quality images.

I will mostly be taking architecture, landscapes and street shots.

I was wondering if my pictures are not bigger than A4 Paper sizes, is the EM10 good enough?

Thank you for your comments.

Hi guys,

My goal is to take quality images and reviews has said the nikon D5300 is a good camera for quality images.

I was wondering if my pictures are not bigger than A4 Paper sizes, is the EM10 good enough?

If you are not printing/viewing A4 paper size, even the old generation DSLRs will be sufficient. Both are more than enough.

There are many other things you have to consider besides image quality, like portability, user interface etc. You should try out both cameras before making your decision

Keep in mind: every image size has a viewing distance from which the picture looks good to the viewer. The larger the image, the longer the distance. That also means: certain fine details simply get lost in that distance, viewers will not notice it. Which means: it doesn't matter much which of the two cameras you will use.
On the other hand: a properly exposed image will give a better quality than an underexposed image where exposure got pulled in post processing.
Shoot RAW, do all editing on that and only convert into JPG as last step.

Hi guys, i am choosing between the Olympus EM10 Or Nikon D5300. My goal is to take quality images and reviews has said the nikon D5300 is a good camera for quality images. I will mostly be taking architecture, landscapes and street shots. I was wondering if my pictures are not bigger than A4 Paper sizes, is the EM10 good enough? Thank you for your comments.

Either one more than sufficient meets your needs for quality images. :)

Interested in what the MFT sensor can produce just drop by the Microfourthirds image sharing thread.

Some people pay far too much attention to sensor size for one , frankly even much older cameras can do the jog well.

I think it boils down to the form factor since both camera set up will deliver equally well for your purpose.

Have a feel for yourself. Both are different animals: D

One is mirrorless camera the other is a DSLR. You can't compare apples with oranges. Read about the differences between m43 and APSC and see which one suits your tastes then you're good to go. Both cameras are good but "better" is subjective and only you can answer the question for yourself.

Hi guys,

If well shot, both cameras can print up to A4 easily.

Note that if you're into architecture shots and plan to use tilt-shift lens, the Nikon system will have a better lens selection.
Street shot, the EM10 is a better choice (Quieter/less scary/lighter)
Landscape wise, both has its advantages (D5300 have better long exposure performance, EM10 has a cool Live composite feature)

Both are great value cameras with similar price for the system, and it will boil down to 'taste'.. which feels more comfortable :)

TS... for what you stated, both cameras can do the job just nice. However, do take into consideration of the following,

1) Weigh of the whole setup
2) Size of the whole setup
3) Ergonomic

Do go down to the shop and hold both cameras to see which one you like. Do remember that, while the body of D5300 might not really be that tough to handle, DSLR lenses are not that light, if you choose to upgrade. m4/3 camera though, had pretty small size and light lenses that are of excellent IQ and built.

In the end, it still boils down to your own preferences.