Olympus EM-5

gormless

Sep 13, 2006
Hi,
I have a 4 year old EM-5 MkI which I have used fairly lightly.

A few months back, the shutter just refused to open after I took some shots. I went down to the Olympus service centre and they said that Olympus does not produce parts for that model anymore and that I would have to get a new body.

Is there any where that may do a third party repair for my shutter? Is this really the end of my EM-5?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Hi,
I have a 4 year old EM-5 MkI which I have used fairly lightly.

A few months back, the shutter just refused to open after I took some shots. I went down to the Olympus service centre and they said that Olympus does not produce parts for that model anymore and that I would have to get a new body.

Is there any where that may do a third party repair for my shutter? Is this really the end of my EM-5?

Thanks so much for the advice.

interesting, what was your shutter count?

if new parts aren't available, you will have to search for refurbished parts, or buy a used EM-5 as a replacement.

I recall there was a member who did repairs, cant remember if he did oly though. sorry I forgot his nick, maybe someone else can help with contact.

Hi, thanks for getting back!

I don't know my shutter count but I'm not a heavy user. I used it mainly on holidays, of which there have been few of late. I don't think it's more than 8K.

I wonder if it's worth while to get a refurbished part and then get it repaired, as opposed to just getting a second hand/new body.

Rather wary of Olympus now actually. Used to be a Canon user before mirrorless came out.

Second hand EM5 going for 350-400 here in CS

Hi, thanks for getting back!

I don't know my shutter count but I'm not a heavy user. I used it mainly on holidays, of which there have been few of late. I don't think it's more than 8K.

I wonder if it's worth while to get a refurbished part and then get it repaired, as opposed to just getting a second hand/new body.

Rather wary of Olympus now actually. Used to be a Canon user before mirrorless came out.

Depends on your olympus lens investments and whether you sell everything, and change brand/type, over just replacing the body.

For what its worth, I've come across EM5 with 20-30k shutter count, and still working. Lemons exist everywhere, I guess.

Yeah, I have quite a few lenses covering a wide range, so I suppose selling it off could prove to be quite troublesome.

I'll definitely have to have a think about it. If the repair were to only cost about $200, I may be tempted to just repair it, but I'm less keen on getting a second hand body.

Do let me know if you know someone who can help repair this shutter problem! Thanks!!

Yeah, I have quite a few lenses covering a wide range, so I suppose selling it off could prove to be quite troublesome.

I'll definitely have to have a think about it. If the repair were to only cost about $200, I may be tempted to just repair it, but I'm less keen on getting a second hand body.

Do let me know if you know someone who can help repair this shutter problem! Thanks!!

You can try and contact CSer Fatigue - see if he can help repair