Olympus e500 worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alentino

Aug 9, 2005
Hi all,
is e500 worth buying? i'm thinking of getting a not so expensive DSLR and i wonder if this is the camera that's value for money. Thanks.

I will say that the E-500 dual kit lens package is the MOST value for money DSLR you can buy. The optics can't be beat at this price and the dust removal feature is simply brilliant, no maintaineance headaches whatsoever. And oh, the image quality is very very good and the highres 2.5" LCD is the best you can find on any entry level DSLR.

Alentino said:
Hi all,
is e500 worth buying? i'm thinking of getting a not so expensive DSLR and i wonder if this is the camera that's value for money. Thanks.

If you mean cheap and good, the E-500 is highly recommended.

agreed! For DSLR class, E-500 is definitely worth getting. but, just beware of the further investment you'll be lured into... :) but, that is a fact if you go for DSLR, you'll definitely buy a couple of other lenses ...

Without a doubt, the kit lens that comes with the E-500 are reasons enough to part with your money... not to mention the body is something of a joy to use. If you have not experienced dust on sensors, you might not know the joy of having a E-Series camera.

I highly recommend the E-500, though I am using the E-300. (I love the weird shape of it). The E-330 is out and its the perfect camera for those who shoots a lot of waist level images. But considering I bought the E-300 at less than half the price of the new E-330, I should not be complaining. HK camera stores has this nice habit of stock clearing when a model is obselete. Sweet deals happen. My E-300 costs me slightly over S$800. With the 14-45mm kit lens. Bought a 35mm macro as well on the same day together with some loose bits of gears.

plastic said:
Without a doubt, the kit lens that comes with the E-500 are reasons enough to part with your money... not to mention the body is something of a joy to use. If you have not experienced dust on sensors, you might not know the joy of having a E-Series camera.

I highly recommend the E-500, though I am using the E-300. (I love the weird shape of it). The E-330 is out and its the perfect camera for those who shoots a lot of waist level images. But considering I bought the E-300 at less than half the price of the new E-330, I should not be complaining. HK camera stores has this nice habit of stock clearing when a model is obselete. Sweet deals happen. My E-300 costs me slightly over S$800. With the 14-45mm kit lens. Bought a 35mm macro as well on the same day together with some loose bits of gears.

SO CHEAP!! i wud have gotten one myself if i were in HK. :devil: is it a brand new set or 2nd hand? if i have the chance to visit HK, i will PM u for recommendation of shops. :devil: how's the price of lenses over there? mainly ZD 50mm & ZD 150mm. :devil:

Hi people,
thanks for the input. I guess i'll get e500 after selling of my C7070 wide zoom. I can't afford to keep both though i would love to, and i'm also planning to take up photography courses. They only allow SLRs and not prosumer cams don't they?

nightpiper said:
SO CHEAP!! i wud have gotten one myself if i were in HK. :devil: is it a brand new set or 2nd hand? if i have the chance to visit HK, i will PM u for recommendation of shops. :devil: how's the price of lenses over there? mainly ZD 50mm & ZD 150mm. :devil:

I bought it brand new. This is the mentality of the shops in HK. When something new is coming, the consumers will definitely not buy the old stuff and they "lay-long" everything. But the lenses are holding their prices... in fact when I compared the prices with Singapore, they are of the same price but there are conflicting prices, some lenses are cheaper, while some are more expensive... must do a little more window shopping... I am afterall new to the Olympus family.

Alentino said:
Hi people,
thanks for the input. I guess i'll get e500 after selling of my C7070 wide zoom. I can't afford to keep both though i would love to, and i'm also planning to take up photography courses. They only allow SLRs and not prosumer cams don't they?

I think SLRs are better learning tools... but the techniques are still the same. What you learn on SLRs can be applied to prosumer cameras, but only if the prosumers have similar functions.

I see :) So do you think i should sell off the C7070 wide zoom and buy e500? I'm still kinda undecided....

Alentino said:
I see :) So do you think i should sell off the C7070 wide zoom and buy e500? I'm still kinda undecided....

I think you should if you can afford it. You will find the image quality, speed of operation, focus speed, negligible shutter lag, etc so much better. You will lose the live preview and tiltable LCD though. You can stick with the still rather excellent kit lenses until your skills improve. :)

Alentino said:

Why not keep it as back up and get the E500?

If it is really a case of no money and die die have to sell then do it.

The C7070WZ is quite a good cam too!

ernie_ng81 said:
Why not keep it as back up and get the E500?

If it is really a case of no money and die die have to sell then do it.

The C7070WZ is quite a good cam too!

That is a good advise. I agree too. If money is not that tight, then keep a backup camera. You will never know when you will need it.

actually, i always wanted to convince my wife to allow me to have a P&S or Prosumer Type as a "backup" camera. 'cos i find it more versatile. i remembered someone said before, different attires for different occassions... on my normal working days, very often i actually spot nice subject to take but, I wish i have my camera with me... smaller P&S will be handy for such occassions. Can't affort to carry my lovely e-500 to work everyday! :(

shchow said:
Can't affort to carry my lovely e-500 to work everyday! :(

You will somehow find that right bag... it happened to me... much to the horror of my dealers... the only downer is that I am still trying to find a good strap to lessen the load when I get the few lenses that I have been eyeing...

shchow said:
Can't affort to carry my lovely e-500 to work everyday! :(

Heheheh... I carry my E-1 to work everyday. :D

shchow said:
:thumbsup: you good ah...!

using Lowepro Computraker? :)

No, just stuff it into my Timberland sling bag. If you see a guy carrying a sling bag in office wear and shooting with the E-1 around Tanjong Pagar or Holland Village area, that is me. It is such a rugged camera body that I don't have any worries bringing it anywhere in any condition. Ironically, the E-500 is my travel and walk-around camera. :bsmilie:

Hi guys! i m new ard here but i must agree i wun give up my Olympus for anything else. Its a great DSLR (especially 4 those tight in their pockets). I would recommend keeping the C7070WZ and get the e-500... Still trying to save enough to get the e-500 and a wide angle lens (7-14mm)... Anywhere I can get those lenses real cheap? Got a good offer from CP 4 e-500... 14-45mm kit for $1400 (1 mth ago)

The e500 is now going for $1580 at CP with the 14-45 and 40-150.

Status
Not open for further replies.