Olympus E500 or FZ18? New here, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobermann

Jan 23, 2008
Hi All

Ok, heres my background - i travel often, love to take lots of pics.. can take hundreds of pics of places i visit, people, landscape etc. Also, i show dogs, and wanna take better pics of my dogs, shows etc [http://sgdobermann.tripod.com]

i been using point and shoot lately.. until it kept getting busted. i do enjoy taking pics, but loved the compactness and convenience of the basic compact digital cameras. i was last using a samsung i5, and it is giving me problems now.

so, am thinking of moving up.. to a better camara, and also one which i can travel with. yes, i know i cant put a dslr or anything bigger than a compact in my pocket, but i can sacrifice some convenience for better hassle free pic taking..

i guess i can still carry a small bag with the camera inside?

so, now i have to decide fast... between a 2nd hand, but excellent condition E500 with the 14mm lens for abt $500.. or how abt a brand new Panasonic FZ18? was even considering the canon ixus 860i.... then thought perhaps best to 'move' up to a better camera?

what would u guys suggest, advise?>

for travelling about, taking all kinds of pics, dog pics, and even learning more on taking pics and using a good camara.. for now, i dont wanna invest in the more expensive Nikon, Canon etc. and also want something thats light and decent sized to carry aorund..

Thanks for any advise, great to join this forum.

Regards

anyone?

1 is a prosumer & the other is a DSLR.

You may want to read this first.

thanks, i read it today... so now its about image quality, more options, and more generalised usage for me.. i reckon both about the same sized, so both require a bag to travel with... and both aorund the same area of price...

but i have not used either before

so what would be the better choice? i am going more towards the E500....

thanks

i guess you have to ask yourself some questions...

Weight, Size, portability, storage, maintenance, quality and colour...

As a summary, the DSLR will give you better "quality" pictures and colour reproduction due to the sensor... but you might need time to adapt to the functions and settings... and you might find yourself getting fustrated in getting the right setting for the shot...

of course using a dslr will open up a whole new world of customisation... you'll look for flash and such... lens... :)

so what do u need?

well... i went for the E500 and so far, i like it.. the pics taken are really really good, espcially at night!

and i went to courts just now to handle the FZ18, and it wasnt that much smaller, in fact, i think mit was less conveneient to travel with. the e500 - i can separate the body and lens, and it is easier to transport than the fully assembled and bulky FZ18.

also i like the feel of the E500... more solid and robust

and i also checked out the Ixus860i... man, it wa sno fight.. i just dont wanna get another compact again

okie. so far so good... now i gotta figure out all the functions etc! going to download the advanced manual.. hopefully its online

will update and post here my new adventure into the photography world

cheers

And the virus has spread :bsmilie:

Have fun with your new toy!:thumbsup:

Try to keep within ISO400 if you want manageable "noise free" pictures :) although it will still be better than most P&S

well... i went for the E500 and so far, i like it.. the pics taken are really really good, espcially at night!

and i went to courts just now to handle the FZ18, and it wasnt that much smaller, in fact, i think mit was less conveneient to travel with. the e500 - i can separate the body and lens, and it is easier to transport than the fully assembled and bulky FZ18.

and i also checked out the Ixus860i... man, it wa sno fight.. i just dont wanna get another compact again

okie. so far so good... now i gotta figure out all the functions etc! going to download the advanced manual.. hopefully its online

cheers

Why E500 and not E510? I owned E500 and love it very much:p

hi guys.

i have a good condition e-500 (full set, with twin kit lens) selling.
and a couple of prime lens, and flash, photographer bag to sell.
all in good condition. link below:

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=346389

let me know if you are keen in any of the item. thanks. :)

cheers

You'll find that there are several advantages to the E-500, including better dynamic range. The quality of the other lenses will impress you also.

Be sure to try everything that the E-500 can do. If you do a lot of night shooting, you'll probably want an external Metz or Olympus flash.

i got the e500 plus the lens at $500. thats why i was deciding. and its a great buy, better than buying the prosumer or compact, at least for me. i am happy for now.

i do notice that focusing is slow.... esp when using the flash. is this normal? i am using auto for now, trying to find the advanced manual - may have to download [but its 200 over pages,, how to print out??]

also got to find a bad, maybe the Lowepro Apex120

and CF card - does the speed really matteR? i will get a 4gb card

batery - do i need a spare? i will be outdoors all da witht eh camera, can take maybe up to 200 over shots maybe.. sghould last rite? then i recharge every nite [ me going travelling soon]

neck strap - where to get? what kind?

tripod - need a small type, easy to carry when travellng all day

thought will use a backpack for my stuff, maps, etc.. and also put camera bag inside plus small tripod

but yes.. virus spread already....

where to get the HWM Digital Phtography guide? Kinokuniya?

ok, gotta go now.. wanna take pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.