Olympus E10

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweakmax

Feb 3, 2002
Visit site
Saw the ad on the Olympus E10 offer $1699/- , wonder should I buy it and sell my Canon G2. Any comments?

Heard that it is really a solid camera though specs may not look so impressive on paper. If you are comfortable with the optical zoom of g2 then u shld get it. :devil:

it's a little heavy no doubt. but the weight does add a little stability.

i like it because of it's manual zoom and very SLR-like features. and it takes GRRRREAT pictures. zoom and focusing is very fast. shutter lag is only 60ms - that's SLR speed.

only problem is it's slow write speed. it takes 3fps but up to a max of 4 frames. so if you intend to take some tennis action and hold down at the shutter, at SHQ, expect to wait something 30 seconds for the buffer to flush.

rOCh

Originally posted by rochkoh
i like it because of it's manual zoom and very SLR-like features. and it takes GRRRREAT pictures. zoom and focusing is very fast. shutter lag is only 60ms - that's SLR speed.
That's because the E-10 is an SLR camera... :D just not with interchangeable lenses....

It's a great camera! ;)

But you have to make sure you'll be able to live with its quirks and slowness in image previewing and writing speed. Oh and the noise at its higher iso levels.

It's excellent for studio work. The colors are real (and you have to ask yourself if you can live with the "realness" because some people will find that to be "flat").

It has a great fast and sharp lens. The grip and build is great.

Oh and yeah, it IS a DSLR, without interchangeable lenses. I guess the term is "DZLR".

:p

it's a little heavy no doubt. but the weight does add a little stability.

only problem is it's slow write speed. it takes 3fps but up to a max of 4 frames. so if you intend to take some tennis action and hold down at the shutter, at SHQ, expect to wait something 30 seconds for the buffer to flush.

rOCh

Hi Roch

What do u mean by manual zoom?? HOw is it different from the zoom in a normal prosumer digital camera?

Originally posted by Que Lynn
It's a great camera! ;)

But you have to make sure you'll be able to live with its quirks and slowness in image previewing and writing speed. Oh and the noise at its higher iso levels.

It's excellent for studio work. The colors are real (and you have to ask yourself if you can live with the "realness" because some people will find that to be "flat").

Oh and yeah, it IS a DSLR, without interchangeable lenses. I guess the term is "DZLR".

Have you used an E20? How does it compare with E10 in terms of response times.

Originally posted by Que Lynn
It's a great camera! ;)

Hi Que Lynn, I believe E10/E20 are highly-rated DSLRs, but I'm really puzzled by the 1/640s top shutter speed. Is it a major problem? 1/1000s on my previous s602z was a little limiting for me already especially under bright sunlight.

Hey Falcon,

Most prosumer DCs, like say the 717, zoom by pressing the (+) or the (-) buttons. These are the (Single Tree) or (Three Trees) icon on other DCs. So there's a slight lag time to zoom and to focus. ie. if you want to zoom from 35mm to 130mm, you've got to press and hold onto the (+)/(Single Tree) button and the len moves.

You zoom an E10/E20 by turning the barrel of the lens. Much like you would for an SLR. I reckon it's a question of preferrence, and i'd very much prefer turning the barrel of the lens. It's faster for me. ;)

hope this helps!

regards,
rOCh

Originally posted by Falcon

Hi Roch

What do u mean by manual zoom?? HOw is it different from the zoom in a normal prosumer digital camera?

Originally posted by Tweek
Hi Que Lynn, I believe E10/E20 are highly-rated DSLRs, but I'm really puzzled by the 1/640s top shutter speed. Is it a major problem? 1/1000s on my previous s602z was a little limiting for me already especially under bright sunlight.

That depends. I don't regularly shoot sports or any hyper-action activity, so it's been enough for me so far. :p

Anyway, for when it's really bright outdoors and I want to open the apertures really wide, I have my polarizer and ND filter.

It's a low max shutter speed, but I read somewhere that it can sync flashes up to that max speed also. :p

can anyone explain what is meant by slow writing speed.
lets say, i took a picture via the viewfinder, and i do nto need to view in on the LCD. can i just continue shooting?

Originally posted by street
can anyone explain what is meant by slow writing speed.
lets say, i took a picture via the viewfinder, and i do nto need to view in on the LCD. can i just continue shooting?

when a picture is taken, it has to be transfer from the CCD to the memory storage. so during that writing time, you cannot do anything on your cam...depends on the size of the pics your take, smaller pics = less wriring time

Originally posted by Jester
when a picture is taken, it has to be transfer from the CCD to the memory storage. so during that writing time, you cannot do anything on your cam...

actually, you *can* continue shooting up until you fill up the four-shot buffer. so as long as your buffer isn't full, you can take your next shot even when the image is being written to your card. there are specific things you won't be able to do, like access the menus or bring up a preview of your shot manually (you can set an automatic preview though, and that will come up even while the image is being written).

maddog: sorry, haven't used an E20... :(

Hey Falcon,

Most prosumer DCs, like say the 717, zoom by pressing the (+) or the (-) buttons. These are the (Single Tree) or (Three Trees) icon on other DCs. So there's a slight lag time to zoom and to focus. ie. if you want to zoom from 35mm to 130mm, you've got to press and hold onto the (+)/(Single Tree) button and the len moves.

You zoom an E10/E20 by turning the barrel of the lens. Much like you would for an SLR. I reckon it's a question of preferrence, and i'd very much prefer turning the barrel of the lens. It's faster for me. ;)

hope this helps!

regards,
rOCh

Tks for your info. i think I get what u mean. I have tried mega's pro90 b4. I think it has manual zoom too. I found it quite tough to use then.

Tks for your info. i think I get what u mean. I have tried mega's pro90 b4. I think it has manual zoom too. I found it quite tough to use then.

no no...Pro90 IS does not have manual zoom ring...the only prosumer digicams that has that are the Dimage 5/7/7i/7hi.

Originally posted by Tweek

no no...Pro90 IS does not have manual zoom ring...the only prosumer digicams that has that are the Dimage 5/7/7i/7hi.

Blur liao. I thought u need to turn to zoom in and out in pro90is also. :dunno:

Blur liao. I thought u need to turn to zoom in and out in pro90is also. :dunno:

for pro90is, it is a fly-by-wire zoom ring. when you turn the ring, it sends an electrical signal to the chip in the cam to start zooming. When we talk about a manual or mechanical zoom ring, when you turn the ring you are mechanically shifting the positions of the lens elements inside. Thus the speed of zooming is actually dependent on how fast you turn the ring. Mechanical zoom ring will give a faster response (not subjected to any lag), and better feel and control. Try a SLR one day and you will know how it feels. ;)

Yay....

E10P is defintely a good deal, with it's nice full metal body and mechanical zoom ring. I personally like the EVF where you can still make your composition even when the camera is off. (a bit dark tho :( ). The 1kg weight does add on to your load, but as what's mention earlier, it does helps in stability.

The write speed wasn't that slow as mentioned, I find it acceptable. With it's easy access buttons everywhere, you can configure your settings in a breeze. As for the slow shutter speed mentioned, I guess unless you are gonna take sports, else that shouldn't be a problem to most. (In fact, none of the digital cams are really good at taking sport shots, go for a SLR with big big zoom lens :confused: )

THe only ugly thing is the big ugly black info box on your lcd screen, but since I compose most of the pics through the EVF, again, that's acceptable.

Personally, I felt that E10 is definitely a better buy then the E20, which cost $2600+ with features comparable to a 5700 only. I might as well topped up another few hundred bucks for a digital slr.

Que, have you attended the free course yet? Perhaps we can attend together. :gbounce: And, just a personal question, any clue what external flash is usable beside the $660 Fl-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.