Olympus E-Systems: Full Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie_ng81

May 26, 2004
Singapore
Dudes,

I think iv seen the word full frame somewhere before on the specs.

Are all the oly cameras really Full Frame? like the canon 5D?

ernie_ng81 said:
Dudes,

I think iv seen the word full frame somewhere before on the specs.

Are all the oly cameras really Full Frame? like the canon 5D?

They are full frame in that the lenses are designed for the sensor size so no magnification factor. The Canon 5D is full frame as in 35mm film size. I think the sensor is larger than the one on the E-systems.

KCLow said:
They are full frame in that the lenses are designed for the sensor size so no magnification factor. The Canon 5D is full frame as in 35mm film size. I think the sensor is larger than the one on the E-systems.

Hmm... so is it that the full frame sensors on the oly e-systems make them one up from the rest of the cameras? other than the canon 5d?

It's a whole diff 'format'...

just like our lenses. Our 14mm is still 14mm (not 28mm!), but it gives an equivalent field of view to a 28mm lens on a full frame 35mm SLR camera....

So for a 4/3 camera, which is designed to have a 4/3 inch sized sensor, the E-system camera with its 4/3 inch sized sensor is full frame.

For a 35mm format camera, which was designed for 35mm sized film, the 5D which has a 35mm size sensor is full frame.
For a 35mm format camera, which has an APS size sensor(smaller than full-frame and slightly bigger than 4/3) the angle of view captured by the sensor is reduced by a factor. And the equivalant FOV would be the focal lengh x crop factor.

Its probably referring to the full-frame transfer Kodak CCD as opposed to an Interline Transfer CCD used in other DSLRs.

Full Frame format and Full Frame Transfer CCD refer to 2 different things.

Why this term Full Frame format always appear is because, on some camera system, you don't really get the 'actual' frame of what the lenses are designed to project, at least the older legacy lenses, especially those good and expensive ones. So, some people would actually prefer full frame format to leverage the existing lenses.

As for the E-system, usually people talk about Full Frame transfer CCD rather than Full Frame format, because, all current 4/3 lenses are designed for this very format. There's not much issue on whether it's Full Frame format or not.

So, for Full Frame Transfer CCD, you may refer to the link provided my mikefellh above.

ykkok said:
Full Frame format and Full Frame Transfer CCD refer to 2 different things.

Why this term Full Frame format always appear is because, on some camera system, you don't really get the 'actual' frame of what the lenses are designed to project, at least the older legacy lenses, especially those good and expensive ones. So, some people would actually prefer full frame format to leverage the existing lenses.

As for the E-system, usually people talk about Full Frame transfer CCD rather than Full Frame format, because, all current 4/3 lenses are designed for this very format. There's not much issue on whether it's Full Frame format or not.

So, for Full Frame Transfer CCD, you may refer to the link provided my mikefellh above.

So, could I say then that the Olympus E-system's Full Frame Transfer CCD would make it better than the other DSLRs in respect to a sharper all rounded image?

ernie_ng81 said:
So, could I say then that the Olympus E-system's Full Frame Transfer CCD would make it better than the other DSLRs in respect to a sharper all rounded image?

all i can say is it is sharp edge to edge with zuiko lenses. cant comment about the rest of the 4/3 partners except cheaper sigma.

ernie_ng81 said:

Hi Ernie,

IMO, the FFT CCD technology supplies Olympus' image processing circuitry with an information rich base image whose digital signals are high in quality & dynamic range.

Cheers

ernie_ng81 said:

I am not too sure about the FF Transfer CCD giving you a sharper image or dynamic range but it is a known fact that Olympus makes the very best 'made-for-digital' lenses in the market and reviews have shown that Digital Zuiko lenses deliver the sharpest images, edge to edge, for their respective FOV and price range. :)

ernie_ng81 said:

Full Frame Transfer (FFT) CCD doesn't really translate to sharper images, but it does allow a sensor with the same pixel size comparing to non-FFT CCD to capture more info (lights) relatively. This provide better dynamic range/latitude where details in deeper shadow and bright higlights are better maintained.

With more information, coupled with Olympus processing circuitory and those good Zuiko Digital glasses, the E-System is capable of producing very detailed, punchy and film/slide like images.

Status
Not open for further replies.