Olympus E-P5 - Hands-On Preview

Another ISO100 jpeg shot, change to B & W, there's 2 spots I cleaned, possibly dust on lens. No sharpness tweak. Olympus 17mm F1.8, NF set to low, F5.6, 60s, 3 stop ND filter.

Hi Res link

Last edited:
Currently in Bali, here's one on the place I staying with a group of 20+ ppl :)

5 shots single row panorama. More to come next few days from Bali.

Sharing some colors of Bali. Some cropping using Picasa, 17mm F1.8, all vivid color mode,

F4.0, 1/13s, ISO400

F4.0, 1/60s, ISO1250

F5.0, 1/160s, ISO200.

F3.2, 1/1250, ISO200.

All with 17mm/1.8

Lock & Lock
F4.5, 1/1000s, ISO200.

colorful tiles
F3.5, 1/125, ISO200

With Olympus 75/1.8
F2.5, 1/1250s, ISO200

Found some time to test out built in timelapse and video function in E-P5. You can set hr, minute, sec. I did 1 or 2 sec. However limitation of 99 frames which is imo very little. the video created in camera is only 10sec. Though there's a hidden function "anti-shock" which can be used to achieve intervalometer function but the in camera video function can't be done. you can choose whether to create the video so the 99 frames are also captured. It takes about 1minute to make the video.
Conclusion: Gimmicky, limiting frames, awfully fun. 1st time family seen this feature in a camera and they found it entertaining.

Sharing a bleak sunrise at Sanur Beach.
[video=youtube;VWtjenOgL3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtjenOgL3k[/video]

And another also this morning.

Busy morning in the pool (Samyang fisheye lens)

[video=youtube;ndXxhYzuLWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndXxhYzuLWs[/video]

Some Bali Safari Park shots to share.

Meerkat, with Olympus mZD 75/1.8 wide open

With Olympus mZD 40-150mm, @120mm, F6.3, 1/400s, ISO200.

Macaw, with Olympus 75/1.8, F2, 1/160s ISO640

Bali Starling/Myna, near to extinction, glad to have seen it. Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8, ISo400, 1/160s.

Another one of this nice blue framed bird. Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8, ISo320, 1/160s.

A few Safari animals, taken while on the tram through a thin (not so clean) glass. The safari here is interesting as some animals can come really close.

Lion, Lioness. Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F2.0, ISO200, 1/320s. Was taking while tram was moving, thought it's gone shot, from the quick preview on EP5 it shows the shot taken was blur due to unstable motion, but actual turns out well, the 5 axis is really good.

Cheetah, Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F2.0, ISO250, 1/160s

Girraffe, Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F2.0, ISO200, 1/1000s

Orang Utan, Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F2.0, ISO200, 1/500s

Tiger, Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F1.8, ISO800, 1/1600s. I accidentally used ISO800.

Can you please check for E-P5:

• If Lumix 40 to 150 Mega-OIS lens is fixed (it has no manual switch to turn the OIS on/off) on to E-P5, once the Olympus body IBIS is turned off, will the Lumix 40 to 150 automatically turn on and use the lens OIS?
Apparently some lenses have no switch but if you use a Panasonic Lumix camera body, there is a way to turn the OIS on or off within the camera menu. So this may be a case of protectionism although Olympus and Panasonic share the MFT stage.

• If above (for Lumix Mega OIS lens) is not true, then will it be true for the Lumix Power-OIS lens without manual OIS switch?

• Whether the E-P5 has focus peaking when used with manual legacy lens on adapter; and if so, does it give outline of the object within the picture frame, that you wish to be in focus. Can you change the colour tone of that focus peak indication from white to yellow or red?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you please check for E-P5:

• If Lumix 40 to 150 Mega-OIS lens is fixed (it has no manual switch to turn the OIS on/off) on to E-P5, once the Olympus body IBIS is turned off, will the Lumix 40 to 150 automatically turn on and use the lens OIS?
Apparently some lenses have no switch but if you use a Panasonic Lumix camera body, there is a way to turn the OIS on or off within the camera menu. So this may be a case of protectionism although Olympus and Panasonic share the MFT stage.

• If above (for Lumix Mega OIS lens) is not true, then will it be true for the Lumix Power-OIS lens without manual OIS switch?

• Whether the E-P5 has focus peaking when used with manual legacy lens on adapter; and if so, does it give outline of the object within the picture frame, that you wish to be in focus. Can you change the colour tone of that focus peak indication from white to yellow or red?

Thanks.

Hi Ricohflex,

<EDIT after converse with Olympus product manager>
There's a new setting from E-PL5 and also E-P5,
Lens I.S. Priority If [On] is selected, priority is given to the lens function operation when using a lens with an image stabilization function. If you turn off "Lens I.S. Priority" setting , you can still choose 5 axis IBIS on/off from it super control panel. I shall test Panasonic 12-35 that has a OIS switch and see if software will override the switch position.

E-P5 post #23 & #24 should answer your question on focus peak which is Yes, Yes, No (Black or white)

Last edited:
Thanks wonglp, for finding out.

A friend bought the Lumix MFT 40-150 and realised he cannot use the lens OIS on his E-P3.

Perhaps in future Olympus can issue a firmware update for the E-P3 where the menu option to turn lens OIS is added?

I presume the E-P5 feature of lens OIS control and Focus Peaking will be included in the new OMD2 (or EM6).

Maybe they will introduce OMD2 some time before the 1 November - start of the peak holiday gift buying season leading to Christmas.

Thanks wonglp, for finding out.

A friend bought the Lumix MFT 40-150 and realised he cannot use the lens OIS on his E-P3.

Perhaps in future Olympus can issue a firmware update for the E-P3 where the menu option to turn lens OIS is added?

I presume the E-P5 feature of lens OIS control and Focus Peaking will be included in the new OMD2 (or EM6).

Maybe they will introduce OMD2 some time before the 1 November - start of the peak holiday gift buying season leading to Christmas.

Hope so :)

Some art filters in Bali, E-P5 didn't have any new art filters from before, personally, would like to see "bleach bypass" :)

Grainy B& W, with 17mm/1.8 ISO 200. F5, 1/500s

Keyline, ISO200 F7.1, 1/1000s. There's minimal shutter lag, this shot was framed with motorcycle on left and the minimal lag allows the composition to be captured.

Dramatic Tone, ISO200, F6.3, 1/1000s

If shoot in RAW format, one can choose the art filter to be used on the pictures with Olympus software.

The AF spot can be chosen to be even smaller than the standard 7 x 5 AF squares. (Apologise for the hasty handphone shot)

What this means is an accurate AF for tricky situations like the below using tele primes with shallow depth of field:
With Olympus 75/1.8 lens, focus on red beads.

Right eye focus. With Olympus 75/1.8.

Pigeon eye focus. With Olympus 75/1.8

Wonglp, excellent image from 75mm F1.8, really really poisonous lens.
Great bokeh on second pic, greate IQ on 3rd pic.
One day, i must try this lens.

Wonglp, excellent image from 75mm F1.8, really really poisonous lens.
Great bokeh on second pic, greate IQ on 3rd pic.
One day, i must try this lens.

thanks speedtest, when i get the ep5 production set, i will organize a m43 outing and will bring this lens too. do join if you can:)

here's the same shot #3 cropped

& another of same lens wide open, ISO 100. 1/3200s.

There's a new 5 axis IBIS (in body image stabilizer) mode known as S-IS-auto, landscape panning IS. The camera detects the panning direction and applies the appropriate image stabilization. admittedly, I'm not good at panning shots, with this mode, I was able to get some panning shots right, at least it seemed so after turning it on, hit rate was better.

Had a solo trip to penelokan to shoot the sunrise. Here's some shots to share.

With Olympus 17mm F1.8, F9.0, ISO100, 110s. Sunrise @ Penelokan Kintamani. Overseeing Mt Abang.

With Panasonic 7-14, ISO100, F7.1. 1/160s. Lift the shadows a little.

With Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8. ISO100, 1/125s.

With Olympus 75/1.8, F1.8. ISO100, 1/100s.

Today's the last day for the E-P5 pre-order which comes with additional freebies of $100 accessories voucher, and if you are olympus e-club member, you get the metal hood for 17mm/1.8 for free (worth $88). You can also sign up for e-club member for $50.

Couple more from the sunrise shot

With 17mm F1.8, 3 shot pano stitched. Mt Batur sunrise from Penelokan

With mZD 40-150 F4-5.6mm lens. 5 shots pano stitched. Mt Abang from Penelokan

Last edited: