Olympus E-M1X vs Panasonic S1

tommyk

Jun 10, 2013
Singapore
Just taking a quick survey - if you are given a free purchase,
Would you buy E-M1X ($4500) or S1 ($3500)? (You won't get $1000 back if you choose S1:)

For full frame I will rather go with the more established Canon/Nikon/Sony rather than the Leica L-mount.

Also the mirrorless S1 is heavier than most FF bodies, which is ridiculous.

So I will choose the E-M1X.

Some one has done the comparison.
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DC-S1-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1X
As always, based on individual point of view and personal like + dislike. YMMV.
One look at the article photo and you get this impression. The EM1X sensor is smaller and yet the camera body is bigger and heavier.
If you like the particular look of photos from Leica lenses that the S1 can use, then it is a deciding factor.
But to be fair to Olympus, that is each individual's personal choice.
Have heard from a friend that EM1X has long battery life, has a 2x crop factor (meaning long telephoto), is weather proof, has high speed sequential shooting, has hybrid phase and contrast detect autofocus, has dual UHS-II slots - all of which makes it good to use in bird shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: An drew
I would rather go with the S1 because the future of the mount is more certain, but I would wait until the second generation arrives. At the moment, Nikon Z6 is also one I would consider because the lens mount is so different that it will be better into the future than the others.

The E-M1x would be useful, but I would prefer to go with the Panasonic G9, if I'm sticking with micro Four-Thirds.

I think there is a big possibility Olympus will make an announcement soon on E-1MX; either another round of huge discount, or.......