Olympus E-620 vs Pentax K-x vs Sony SLT-A33

hitendra

Aug 21, 2010
Folks

Any views on the above? :dunno: All three are in my budget, so $$ not a problem

My personal view and maybe I am expecting to get shot by Oly users, but I wouldn't get the E620. Maybe it's just my own experience with it, but I cannot stand the slow focusing. At times when I am forced to use my colleague's cam, event shots and such, I more often than not will miss my shot (by a lot!) before it has focused. :dunno:

In a couple of months, it will change to Pentax K-r vs Sony SLT A55 :bsmilie:

Jusy my opinion:

Olympus, No comments ...Pentax KX/KR = Good features for the money ! ...Sony SLT A33/A55 = Solid features for abit more money !

Last edited:
E620: Uses the 4/3 sensor, which is smaller and offers less DR and highi ISO performance than a larger APS-C sensor.
Pentax K-X: Good cam, though I've always been annoyed by the lack of visible focus points in the VF.
A33: So far, looks to be a better overall camera.

@Ghostfit - I agree... SLT-A55 expected in mid-Sep, but no news of K-r release dates yet :( ... if the K-r has the auto-focus indicator in the viewfinder and priced near the K-x, then I think its a no-brainer...

@Rashkae - on dpreview.com, i evaluated the standard studio setup between slt-a55and k-x, and i thought k-x was as good as the slt-a55 and in some cases better (see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page15.asp, and choose k-x as one of the cams to compare) - you feel any different?

SLT-A33 is an EVF camera. This in itself has its pros and cons.
Spec wise, being the newest camera of the listed, it benefits for latest improvements.
Very heavy application of noise reduction if based on the A55.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page16.asp

Kx is still a good camera now, esp if you can't wait.
If you can wait, then you should get something better than it in the K-r.

@Ghostfit - I agree... SLT-A55 expected in mid-Sep, but no news of K-r release dates yet :( ... if the K-r has the auto-focus indicator in the viewfinder and priced near the K-x, then I think its a no-brainer...

@Rashkae - on dpreview.com, i evaluated the standard studio setup between slt-a55and k-x, and i thought k-x was as good as the slt-a55 and in some cases better (see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page15.asp, and choose k-x as one of the cams to compare) - you feel any different?

Yes, the Kx has pretty high DR, as good or maybe even better than the A55 ...but the A55 has many other features which leaves the Kx miles behind ...eg: I know we all don't need video on a DSLR(yeah, right) but the A55 has (at least for me) narrowed the gap between cameras and videocams. Handheld HDR is another area where the Sony is better as well as the panaroma thingy. Remains to be seen how useful the Multi shots NR and handheld twilight feature is.

I think it would be more fair to compare the Kr instead to the new Alphas.

But then again, we have not heard or seen what Canon and Nikon has up their sleeves ! :devil:

Folks

Any views on the above? :dunno: All three are in my budget, so $$ not a problem

1 aps-c, 1 micro 4/3, and one no-optical-VF camera..

before we have any views, please make up your mind what you are looking for, i would not lump these 3 together based on anything else except perhaps price range (rough one at that).

It really depends on what you need.

Like what bro night86mare mentioned, all 3 cameras have different characteristics.
But overall, they are all very capable cameras, just depends on your preferences and usage.

I think its pretty much k-x vs A33 as the best sub $1k camera now. Both cameras are extremely good.

K-x is an excellent camera for its price $7xx.

A33 has much more features, (sweep pano is damn fun, and the video and 7fps) but it'll cost more.

It really depends on how much u wish to pay. Cheaper price vs more features.

I think most importantly is to go down to the shop and try these cameras yourself. Some cameras are good in technical specs but not good in handling. Pick the one that gives you the best handling feeling because you will hold it many times on hand to shoot.

Reminds me of buying a tripod ! :bsmilie:

Choose 2 of the 3 options below !

1) Cheap
2) In a hurry
3) Great features

If you want Cheap and In a Hurry, get the Kx
If you want Cheap and New features, wait and get the A33

If you want Great features and In a hurry, get the Kx first then sell me 1/2 price when the A33 become available !!! :sweatsm:

Forgot to ask also. Why E-620 instead of micro four third? For the four third series, generally the in thing is smaller, pocketable (or so they say - never managed to fit GF1 with pancake into my pocket), etc. Is it because Oly's's PD autofocus is still faster than Oly's micro four third CD autofocusing systems?

The K-X is great, but for a little extra, the extra benefits of the A55 are more attractive to me.

the k-x has been the best "under $1000 DSLR" for quite a while already.

But this time, I think the k-x has finally meet its match in the A33.

Abit more pricy, but with better features.

@wildcat - actually i dont like the looks of the oly 4/3 :p i know it has lot of fans, but sorry, i am not one of them

it was also very interesting to see ghostfit's views.. the thing is, while i am not in a hurry, very often we get into "paralysis by analysis" mode, and never end up buying.. so i do want to make a call and start clicking

and why these 3 - well... purely because of price..my view is that all these 3 will do a good job..

however, interestingly, no one commented on things like availability of lenses (vendor and 3rd patry), experience of shooting in various situations (street, landscape, macro, night etc.) - i know we can't comment on slt-a33 yet... maybe after comex

however, interestingly, no one commented on things like availability of lenses (vendor and 3rd patry), experience of shooting in various situations (street, landscape, macro, night etc.) - i know we can't comment on slt-a33 yet... maybe after comex

For both quite available, but from what I've seen it's easier to find Sony-mount lenses then the Pentax ones.

As for street, landscape, macro, night - all this depends more on lenses. But for street and macro photography, the tilting LCD and fast AF liveview on the Sonys is something else.

For both quite available, but from what I've seen it's easier to find Sony-mount lenses then the Pentax ones.

As for street, landscape, macro, night - all this depends more on lenses. But for street and macro photography, the tilting LCD and fast AF liveview on the Sonys is something else.
Any idea when the new models will hit the Sony stores for demo?

what i know is that the slt-a33 is being launched in comex - which is next week anyway... just few more days

the slt-a55 doesn't have a date yet - supposedly "end-sep" .. however, the sony website has details only for the slt-a33 right now

and is the pentax k-r a real deal???? it just seems to be some rumour started by some spanish guy who claims to work for pentax

what i know is that the slt-a33 is being launched in comex - which is next week anyway... just few more days

the slt-a55 doesn't have a date yet - supposedly "end-sep" .. however, the sony website has details only for the slt-a33 right now

and is the pentax k-r a real deal???? it just seems to be some rumour started by some spanish guy who claims to work for pentax

As mentioned A33 is an EVF camera. Since COMDEX will have it, go have a look 1st. Go try it out to see if you like this type of viewfinder. Test out the user interface and features.
While it is a good camera with great specs and wonderful new features, somehow Sony opted to do very heavy NR for high ISO. Here are sample photos :

ISO1600
A33 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA33/FULLRES/AA33INBI01600.HTM
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI01600.HTM

ISO3200
A33 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA33/FULLRES/AA33INBI06400.HTM
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI06400.HTM

All cameras are good enough to do street, landscape, macro, night etc.
Lens availability is good enough for Pentax if you go to the shops that sell them (esp. Manly, OP, SLRR, MSColor). Else, you can always place and order through the listed shops and they will get it from the distributor Emjay.

K-r, well... No one knows if its really going to be called Kr :), but Pentax is certainly launching 2 models in Photokina. The 'entry' level is supposed to be known earlier in early Sept.

Last edited: