Olympus E-510 vs. Canon EOS 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiLLy-LucifeR

Jun 3, 2007
Yishun
willy-lucifer.deviantart.com
Hi all,

i'm planning to get an entry level DSLR soon, but can't seem to make up my mind between these 2 particular models. so i thought it'd be best to heed some advice/opinion from the experts and the experienced here.

many thanks in advance! :D

cheers.

Don't just look at the specifications of the bodies and such, browse through the complete systems and accessories available to you once you buy into the system and factor them in.

Samuel

If you are not in a hurry, I suggest that you wait for the upcoming E-520 which is an improved E-510. The E-520 should have better dynamic range compared to E-510. :)

First thing, you'll want to handle the two bodies. Canon's controls are very different from those of most brands, so you will either love or hate them. Newcomers can usually use either since they have no experience.

As has been said, the Olympus E-520 will be available soon, so you'll want to wait for that, especially if you're accustomed to using a point and shoot compact camera.

Maybe you would like to try out both the cams to see which you prefer and feels more comfortable with. Do note the lay out of the functions & menu as well as the ergonomics. You may want to open your options to Pentax & Sony as well.

These 2 are very different beasts. I dont want to compare but for my personal preferance I'd get the Canon due to its lower noise, better wb, contrast and much larger choice in lenses. Not to mention image quality. It's up to you to consider, keep in mind future upgrade of lenses, flashes etc these 2 brands offer, etc.

I had the same problem previously. In the end I chose the 450D, as I'm more comfortable with Canon. Been using their cameras since sec sch days.

The E510 is also a very good camera, and the in-body IS is a very useful feature. It's a more robust camera - nicer to hold, and the only con I could think of is its limited dynamic range, and higher noise.

I had the same problem previously. In the end I chose the 450D, as I'm more comfortable with Canon. Been using their cameras since sec sch days.

The E510 is also a very good camera, and the in-body IS is a very useful feature. It's a more robust camera - nicer to hold, and the only con I could think of is its limited dynamic range, and higher noise.

That's a good reason to get the E-520, which has a different sensor, among other things, and has improved on the dynamic range and noise.

.... what noise?

sigh... Drop by the shops and feel for yourself. The best advise is "Choose the system". Buying the camera with a lens is just the start of it...

You will eventually look at getting more lense and flash and other little gadgets. Look for the price range, compare the quality of the lens, and of course look at the pictures taken by the various cameras taken here. You'll be surprise how well some kit lens can perform.

Have fun choosing!

One of the reason why i got 450D was cos it is lighter and love the hand grip. This is my first SLR, so u can say that the features and handling functions wasnt top of my list then ;P

U really need to try out both cameras yourself to get a feel of what you prefer, I've always been a Canon EOS user, switched to other makes briefly, but still went back to Canon eventually cos of various reasons...

Suggestion - if u feel "pai-seh" about trying out cameras at the shops, u can go to Courts Megastore at Tampines, they seem to have a good display of DSLR, including the 2 that you are interested.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.