Olympus E-410

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cullen

Dec 24, 2006
;) Hi guys, Wanted to start on dslr. was considering on the olympus E-410. Any suggestion or opinion? Would like to seek opinion from all the seniors CSer... Thx...;)

Hey, i think its a value for money DSLR!

Why don't you check out the four thirds thread...

;) Hi guys, Wanted to start on dslr. was considering on the olympus E-410. Any suggestion or opinion? Would like to seek opinion from all the seniors CSer... Thx...;)

The E510 is better value at $200 more. The 510 has a better grip apart from IS.

The E-510 is better, bigger and heavier than the E-410. But...

Sensor is similar, image quality is equal and all the optical and flash equipment for future expansion is the same for both. Both have not only optical VF but also Live View which I think everybody finds useful now and then. I think the main difference is the lack of IS in E-410. The IS is very good but it seems that it only works with digital lenses. The pop-up flash is a bit more powerful in E-510. Also the battery is not the same, the E-410 uses a special one, while the E-510 uses the same as every other E-system camera from the E-1 up uses.

All in all, I think you would be very happy with the E-410, but find out all the details before you buy the camera. Read the manual for example, if it is awailable for download. I think the E-410 is the best value for the money within the same price range. If you get the dual lens kit you are fit for most occasions. The kit lenses are very good compared to other brands kit lenses.

On the other hand, who am I to say anything about the E-410 or the E-510? :dunno: I do not have any of them, so my words are noting else than spreading on what I have heard. I only have the E-500 dual kit + ZD 50mm f2.0 macro + several old OM lenses and eqipment + FL-50 + 5 other flashes + two big bags filled with some other stuff. I am not even a pro, so take my words with a grain of salt.

go down to the camera store and have a feel for the camera, i find that handling and ergonomics is an important consideration, especially for small cameras. try out both the E410 and E510, as well as other brands/models. that will help in your decision.

go down to the camera store and have a feel for the camera, i find that handling and ergonomics is an important consideration, especially for small cameras. try out both the E410 and E510, as well as other brands/models. that will help in your decision.
Yes, good advise. Only a very few people are crazy enough to buy a camera without ever having held in their hands. I am one of them. I just trusted the reports about the E-500 ergonomics.

I guess, ergonomicwise the main difference between the E-410 and the E-510 is in the size and weight, while the difference between Oly and non-Oly may be huge in handling, which can be very difficult to see and compare in a shop unless you want to have a look at a specific issue. But yes, it may not hurt to feel some other brand, unless a person is convinced he/she wants one specific brand for some reason.

I went to Harvey Norman at Funan to feel the cameras.

And I agree with Tetrode: the E510 feels a lot better. Without a grip, I almost always feel the E410 is slipping out of my hand. The sensor-stabilisation on the E510 works remarkably well too.

But it's just MHO. Potential buyers should try out the cameras themselves.

woot... thx guys... thx or the advice...

The new Olympus has live pre-view screens. Very attracted to it myself, but havent taken the plunge. Colleagues who are pro Nikon/Canon of course advised their own favourites with a variety of lenses. Asked myself, will I use so many lenses?

The new Olympus has live pre-view screens. Very attracted to it myself, but havent taken the plunge. Colleagues who are pro Nikon/Canon of course advised their own favourites with a variety of lenses. Asked myself, will I use so many lenses?

coz... in future u need good lens to provide great image quality not only catch the moments ;p ...Olympus new generation like E410 and E510 are best choice at this moments, if new flash system come out too ....:bigeyes:

... if new flash system come out too ....:bigeyes:
What's wrong with the FL-50? :dunno:

The only problem I have with it is that (non existing) stupid battery check function. No warning, suddenly two buttons start flashing and that's it. Flash is dead until new batteries are inserted. That is really a :thumbsd: .

Actually many other flash tat came out then (around 2002 or 2003?) also dun have battery indicator...

Actually many other flash tat came out then (around 2002 or 2003?) also dun have battery indicator...
Yes, that's OK but what I think is stupid that instead of flashing the LEDs the display could at least display "LOW BATTERY" or something. When the flashing of LEDs start the display shows everything as before, so I got worried when I saw that the first time, thinking, "Oh NO, my brand new flash already broken!"

Lucky I could "mend" it with a fresh set of batteries, but I really got worried, looked in the manual but found nothing. Maybe I missed it, but according to me, that information should be very easy to find in any manual, and anyway, the display is there, the flash is not usable, use the display to tell the poor user.

The manual did say lah... you must have missed it... page 43...

The manual did say lah... you must have missed it... page 43...
Yes, it may be so. But I have to admit, I did not read the manual the first time. It is just a flash isn't it? Insert batteries put it on the camera and shoot. When the LEDs starteded flashing I got worried, looked in the manual but could not find anything. I guess I was too nervous. However it is, since there is enough power it should be displayed on LCD in clear text.

Just my 5c.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.