Olympus E-330 at PMA 2006 (with samples)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite dissappointed. Olympus basically said that the new sensor is "comparable" to the kodak FFT sensor in terms of image quality :( I think they changed the sensor so that it can be called a NEW sensor.

So no improvements on AF, image quality. Just a rotating LCD.... It is pretty dissapointing.

Well, take a look at the ISO 1600 images, I suppose they are on track, delivering some improvements on controlling noise.

Basically, FFT CCDs requires mechanical shutter. It's not possible for live preview. So, they need to change. It's too early to judge the quality FFT vs LiveMOS yet.

quote from the PMA show preview:

Olympus E330 SLR camera - Scene modes - Whether photographers want to go it alone and give free reign to their creative impulses in full manual mode, make use of the semi-manual aperture or shutter priority options, or prefer the convenience of automatic shooting, the Olympus E330 caters for every user. On top of the four exposure modes, 20 pre-defined scene modes and 7 creative modes are available to suit most situations. These include modes for Nature Macro and xD-Panorama shooting as well as two underwater modes and an Anti-blur option. The special Live View Boost function is particularly helpful for framing in low light as it significantly improves contrast and brightness of the view on the LCD.

whats this anti blur option? anyone? is it referring to the mirror lock up?

the high ISO looks good. but i won't be using it much. ;p definitely an improvement over the older FFT sensor, but i will still shoot primarily on ISO 100, not a big deal to me.

the only 2 step backwards compared to the E300 is 1 memory custom WB vs 3 & a DC input. why did they do away with these 2? anyway, the E330 looks like a very worthy successor to the E300, now comes with HQ 1:2.7 jpg compression selection. YIPPEE!! :lovegrin:

lastly i have to ask: "WHY STILL USB 1.1 ???!!" what year is it now? still USB 1.1 speed.... ggeezzz...

hammer_400 said:

yo hammer, juz peeped thru those images & personally, find the texture feel is not there compared to the FFT sensors. i guess its still too early to tell. but one thing for sure, my Avatar pic looks better (buah pai seh) than their Apostle image. :bsmilie: shot on negative in 2001 using Tokina lens.

yanyewkay said:
all at ISO 100 only? :( not a fair review. I want to see HIGH ISO samples.

usb1.1? you transfer images from the camera? I usually remove the storage card to get my pics

I've posted some ISO 1600 shots in my first post, click on the second URL.

chainsmoker said:
Its so similar to the fuji 9500 prosumer. Which the 9500 is better in many aspects.

It was said that Oly would say/announce something about the new E-X during PMA 2006. But nothing yet, it has clearly shaken the 4/3 users confidence.

I think they will announce soon, but they are concentrating on the bread-n-butter market.

I don't really blame for not enough Pro gears but rather myself for not enough Cash, Strength nor Skills to justify those items like the fast f2.0 lenses.

chainsmoker said:
Well inorder for ppl to spend on their fast lens, which is price higher in Sg. ( theres no duties taxed on electronics in Sg. btw ).
Shouldnt we have a body thats atleast matchable, instead of the lenses outresolving the sensor.

If u have any insider info. most'd appreciate if u can share. If not, try not to mislead.

well... oly did say that they will mention somethin @ PMA which is 26th feb ...

i guess we will have to wait n see.....

Well, this is just a speculation and something that most Olympus folks talked about - some annoucement in PMA 2006.

Personally, I find that Olympus is advancing very fast. Within 18-months, 3 bodies - E-300, E-500 and E-330. Also, 4 new lenses : 8mm, 35mm, 35-100mm and 90-250mm.

It's a tough game for Olympus to really launch something from the ground up. I remember, last seasons, people complained about lack of lenses, lack of budget macro and many more. I can see Olympus is quite fast on track to fill up these gaps.

Come on, just give them some time.

e330.JPG

e3302.JPG

chainsmoker said:
Its so similar to the fuji 9500 prosumer. Which the 9500 is better in many aspects.

It was said that Oly would say/announce something about the new E-X during PMA 2006. But nothing yet, it has clearly shaken the 4/3 users confidence.

shaken not stirred? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

on the contrary, with the introduction of the E500 & now the E330, i have a lot more confidence with Oly. i can see they r doing alot of work & heading that direction aggressively. i liked the uniqueness they maintained too, the dust buster.

here's what i found consistantly in DSLR (bodies only) across the market:

Low noise throughout the range of models ---> Canon
Good colour & dust shaker in whole range of models ---> Oly
Vibration reduction in the whole range ---> KM
Good colour ---> Fuji

thats all i can think of, if there's something else i missed from other brands thats consistant, pls add on.

with improvement & innovation, i really can't ask for more. :thumbsup: now when is the E330 hitting our shores?

BUY LAH!!

nightpiper said:
shaken not stirred? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

on the contrary, with the introduction of the E500 & now the E330, i have a lot more confidence with Oly. i can see they r doing alot of work & heading that direction aggressively. i liked the uniqueness they maintained too, the dust buster.

here's what i found consistantly in DSLR (bodies only) across the market:

Low noise throughout the range of models ---> Canon
Good colour & dust shaker in whole range of models ---> Oly
Vibration reduction in the whole range ---> KM
Good colour ---> Fuji

thats all i can think of, if there's something else i missed from other brands thats consistant, pls add on.

with improvement & innovation, i really can't ask for more. :thumbsup: now when is the E330 hitting our shores?

BUY LAH!!

Sori for being so negative, i have always tried to be unbias. 1 thing im glad, i bought the e500.

Status
Not open for further replies.