Olympus E-300 800 & 1600 as 'boost'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mug326

Jun 19, 2004
Khatib
Hi Hi,

JUst like to find out from users of the E-300 who've tried the 'boost'. Is there really a very grainy outcome? I was reading some reviews and they said tt it's quite a problem.

I'm thinking of switching to DSLR and have been reading about this great camera. But I do have a concern when occasions I need to increase the ASA and not use the flash.

Have not personally tried it but tried the D70 with 1600 which is still acceptable.

Love to hear any comments

:)

It depends very much on your resolutions that u want to view or print.
If you want to print it at the largest 3264x2448, then it's definitely grainy, especially at those darker areas.
But if u'll resize the whole photo to 800x600 and below, I would say it's still alright.

personally, i dun find it that noisy at 1600... only in dark areas with lotsa shadows it becomes real noisy....

iso 1600 samples....no NR....

2.jpg

1.jpg

it was pretty dark, had to use iso1600 to get decent handholdable speed....

for this kind of enviroment 1600 is not a problem, but if u wanna shoot a stage performance with 1600... then..... .... .... ...

if you run it through some noise removal software, it will be ok.

hammer_400 said:
personally, i dun find it that noisy at 1600... only in dark areas with lotsa shadows it becomes real noisy....

iso 1600 samples....no NR....

it was pretty dark, had to use iso1600 to get decent handholdable speed....

for this kind of enviroment 1600 is not a problem, but if u wanna shoot a stage performance with 1600... then..... .... .... ...

Good work at 1600, something wrong with your cam man, send it to OLY as its taking good pics at such high iso hehe :devil:

Keep shooting...

1600 is ALOT noiser than 800...

ed9119 said:
what about noise at iso800?

fairly low and certainly good enough for printing.

u guys ain't seen nothing yet. :sticktong

try using an ISO 800 film & u can be pretty sure ur pics have contracted some kind of measles. :bsmilie: this ISO 1600 from Oly is really nothing in comparison. :) very useable indeed!!

i think all those reviews have really over blown the noise issue in DSLR. how many reviewers r really photographers themselves? i only find luminous landscape of some credibility, others like ken rockwell really make me laugh. :bsmilie:

By itself, I believe the noise is acceptable, especially when compared to most non-DSLR digicams. But compared to some other DSLRs, the performance isn't as good. It might not be that big a concern though, cos you'll only be using it occassionally. Below's the relevant comparison from DPReview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse300/page26.asp

nightpiper said:
u guys ain't seen nothing yet. :sticktong

try using an ISO 800 film & u can be pretty sure ur pics have contracted some kind of measles. :bsmilie: this ISO 1600 from Oly is really nothing in comparison. :) very useable indeed!!

i think all those reviews have really over blown the noise issue in DSLR. how many reviewers r really photographers themselves? i only find luminous landscape of some credibility, others like ken rockwell really make me laugh. :bsmilie:

Noise in SLR's is more fine grainier, electronic noise gives all kinds of coloured dots. Using fast 800 films like kodak supra or fuji superia would have surely changed your view point on SLR noise.

well, i have tried the Fuji Superia 800 once 2 yrs ago & kodak 1000 & 1600 film long long time ago (also once). never touched them again. :sweatsm: the "measles" is just too much to accept unless really really really must use it for very specific purpose.

however i do like the newest Kodak HD 200 films, very nice colour & fine grain me finds.

forgot to mention that hammer_400 lemurs shots r pretty & clearly displayed the noise at 1600 as a non-issue very useable range. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mpenza said:
By itself, I believe the noise is acceptable, especially when compared to most non-DSLR digicams. But compared to some other DSLRs, the performance isn't as good. It might not be that big a concern though, cos you'll only be using it occassionally. Below's the relevant comparison from DPReview:

agree the noise is acceptable by itself. :) & yes, totally agree that only use high ISO occasionally. i have not even touched the 1600 on my E1. only twice on the 800 range. actually personal craving, looking forward to ISO 50, i m a low ISO guy both on film & digital. :D

it seems like with the new digital era, people r looking at just noise as the main determining factor to judge a DSLR. juz like reading MTF charts only to conclude the fate of a lens. kind of sad, really, to only look at juz 1 side of an equation for answer.

mpenza said:

agreed... but oly seems to have minimal NR on their images. they still hold thier color and sharpness very well even at iso 1600, granted in dim conditions like 1/30s iso 1600 @f4, the noise will prob eat away the details, otherwise thier images seem to hold onto the DR/sharpness/color.
the d7d/d70/*stD etc all use the same sony sensor but give quite diff noise profiles, but they all make some trade-up some where. the d7d for example seems to give very little color noise, the noise appears is mainly monochromatic. like using PS to gaussian blur the lightness channels in lab mode.
all in all, i think the oly sensor is not inferior in high iso, now if only they implement something like on the d2x ---> selectable NR amounts, it may help change pple's perception of oly and noise.

Me too, I'm also craving for ISO 50, and I'm not saying that the Oly ISO 100 is noisy (but perfectly clean), it's just that, lower than 100 ISO is sometime very useful in broad daylight.

I think most DSLR users should know the benefit.

Thanks guys for so many imputs.

Took a look at the comparison chart and I'm pretty impressed with the Canon. But I must agree that the Oly did very well on the macro. Saw many of yr photos.

I've shot b4 with ASA 800 on films and the nosie is ok. But have been hesitating to switch due to the WB of Dig cams and the noise. Maybe I've not played ard much with PS to see how I can cut them down.

Have been using a lot of digital cams ... Pan Z20, Canon A70, 80, 95 as well as the 10D and D70. All borrowed ones lah.

The price of the E-300 with the dual lens kit is very attractive. Last asked price is $1650 at AP.

Tempting :bigeyes: ;p

Thanks so much again for sharing :angel:

mug326 said:
The price of the E-300 with the dual lens kit is very attractive. Last asked price is $1650 at AP.

BUY LAH!! :devil: :devil:

mug326 said:

think you can get the E-300 cheaper at MS Color, check them out

Hi Users of E-300 and E-1,

What other brands of flashes do you use other than the FL-40? Can share your experiences? I plan to use the flash more for wedding shots.

Thanks again!

:)

hey, got ur e-300 yet?

the fl40 is an old model... the current oly lineup is the, fl-20, fl-36 and fl50.

the fl-36 can be used with the e-300's built in flash, so u can bounce the fl-36 and use the built in flash as fill.... some flashes like the metz-54 have two burners for this purpose... the fl-50 is larger more powerful and has faster recyling rates and can fit external batery packs...

i think metz also has ttl adaptors so u can use thier units on the e-1 and e-300 with full ttl capabilities....

on the u can also use the normal 'auto' flashes with thyristor, like sunpak, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.