Olympus E-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaotic

Feb 14, 2002
Olympus E-1 is here finally!!!

Just when I thought at last here comes an affordable DSLR, it's priced at $2199US! Grr! And look at the lens prices! $7999 for 300mm!!!!!

14 - 54 mm F2.8 - F3.5 lens $599
50 - 200 mm F2.8 - 3.5 lens $1199
50 mm F2.0 1:2 Macro lens $599
300 mm F2.8 Super Telephoto $7999
TC14 1.4X Teleconverter $549
FL-50 Flash and Accessories $499
Power Battery Holder Set $549

http://www.dcresource.com

Since this is a totally new format, you'll need to start your lens collection from scratch.

hmmm so much for their much touted Universal Mount... :rolleyes:

and i still think it looks like a E20 on steroids... :D

At this price.. think it'll have a very hard time competing with 10D, D100 and S2 Pro... :(

but it's x 2 for normal 35mm perspective so the 300mm is actually 600mm in normal 35mm perspective ... 600mm F 2.8 for 7999US! what a deal! :rbounce: :eek:

Originally posted by chaotic
but it's x 2 for normal 35mm perspective so the 300mm is actually 600mm in normal 35mm perspective ... 600mm F 2.8 for 7999US! what a deal! :rbounce: :eek:
yes, but conversely, there's no real wide angle for the E1. their widest lens (the 14 - 54 mm F2.8 - F3.5) would be only a 28-108mm zoom.

unless Oly already took that FLM factor into account when designing the lenses...

E 11 - 22 mm, F2.8 - F3.5 zoom (21 - 44 mm) (available by end 2003)

This is the wide angle answer.

E 11 - 22 mm, F2.8 - F3.5 zoom (21 - 44 mm) (available by end 2003)

This is the wide angle answer.
ahhh ok ok... well let's see if any Oly enthusiasts forks out the cash for this.

the "consumer D-SLR, due sometime next year" sounds more promising to me...

Intrigued as to how good the quality will be with the 300 f/2.8 and 1.4x TC, giving a focal length of 840mm @ f/4 ... great for birders I would imagine.

And those prices are probably going to come down a lot given enough market feedback and sentiments. I just cannot see the 300 f/2.8 retailing for more than what you would pay for the equivalent Nikon or Canon lenses.

Could be a nice sales/marketing move - announce the availabilty at $xxx then sit back and watch as online forums explode with indignified posts as to where Olympus can shove those lenses/cameras/accessories, then listen carefully to those few sane voices that say "Yes, but I would only buy it if it was $yyy ..." and adjust accordingly.

Originally posted by Darren
Could be a nice sales/marketing move - announce the availabilty at $xxx then sit back and watch as online forums explode with indignified posts as to where Olympus can shove those lenses/cameras/accessories, then listen carefully to those few sane voices that say "Yes, but I would only buy it if it was $yyy ..." and adjust accordingly.

Hmm.. so how much would one be willing to fork out for the E-1?? ;)

it will be good if it cost $100. ;p :vhappy:

Gulp....I think I'll stay with my trusty C-2100UZ for the time being. :sweat:

the design looks very solid.....

It is stated therer that this camera is not suppose to fight with 10D,D100 in terms of pricing but against D1x and 1Ds. Looks interesting.. but there seems to be very little lens available... esp those for poor people :p

Originally posted by Jayan
Gulp....I think I'll stay with my trusty C-2100UZ for the time being. :sweat:
yah. way too ex even for the body itself

uzi still the best for us

it's not going to turn into a minolta rd175 with its vectis lenses right? gosh...

no matter wat it's time to wait... always the first of a new series is going to be kinda crappy.... buggy and stuff.... so let's sit for E-2 :D

Originally posted by SianZronG
no matter wat it's time to wait... always the first of a new series is going to be kinda crappy.... buggy and stuff.... so let's sit for E-2 :D

LOL the e20 wasn't that much different from the e10 right?

anyway the specs are quite good, but hope kodak is using their old series of ccds vs the new buggy cmos+firmware LOL...

Olympus E-1 is here finally!!!

Just when I thought at last here comes an affordable DSLR, it's priced at $2199US! Grr! And look at the lens prices! $7999 for 300mm!!!!!

14 - 54 mm F2.8 - F3.5 lens $599
50 - 200 mm F2.8 - 3.5 lens $1199
50 mm F2.0 1:2 Macro lens $599
300 mm F2.8 Super Telephoto $7999
TC14 1.4X Teleconverter $549
FL-50 Flash and Accessories $499
Power Battery Holder Set $549

http://www.dcresource.com

Careful: Those are just the prelim MSRPs. Take them with a pinch of salt.

One thing of note is this: each lens is professional class quality - that is, they are "equivalent" to or better than the top of the range from the current crop of SLR manufacturers. They'll each exceed the performance of all the lower end lenses (e.g., Nikon's 24-85 AF-S) that so many current DLSR owners tend to up with because the "Pro" series of their SLR brand might be financially out of reach for them.

One of the key lens features, is the fact that they each have near constant aperture performance at pretty wide starting apertures - all zooms 2.8/3.5. That's only half a stop diff between wider/shorter end and longer end of the zoom focal length. And then, inch for inch, weight for weight, they are smaller and lighter than anything equivalent (if there are) from the current dSLR manufacturers. I say "if there is" because I doubt you'd find any equivalent lenses out there for the current APS sized sensor cameras, as yet, in terms of either focal length or aperture. E.g.,

14 - 54 mm F2.8 - F3.5 lens (28-108mm f2.8-3.5 FOV equiv)
50 - 200 mm F2.8 - 3.5 lens (100-400mm f2.8-3.5 FOV equiv)

I think you will discover that the prices will be much more attractive at the time of the actual launch. :dent:

Status
Not open for further replies.