Olympus DiMage 7Hi or Nikon 5700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horus

Oct 23, 2002
Northern Singapore
*argh...dunno which one to get ...which do you think is a better choice? the nikon 5700 or the Minolta Dimage 7Hi?

heard 7Hi has lots of noise but Nikon's autofocus sucks. but are battery guzzlers but with 5700 one def needs an extra battery pack.

Can anyone offer some insights? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Di7Hi has not that much more noise compared with the 5700 .... reasons why is bec in the D7 there is little img processing to reduce the noise ... read the DP Review forums I think its clearly stated there :)

An extremely content Di7i user, but wishing for a EOS1Ds:)

Read DPReview. Noise is not an issue. For me, that's true.

I don't think noise is any big problem. It's probably over emphasized cos there're no other major failings of the camera.

5700 clips its highlights... probably due to some sharpening or NR algo... it's quite obvious... saw it in some CSer's zoo shots of the white tigers.. it's like a neon streak

so everyone recommends the 7Hi huh? any other 7hi users out there who can give me some reassurance? ;)

brought up in a generation of canon and nikon...not used minolta before but believe it could be a solid product at that price range. any strong opinions? :p

if it sounds good most likely will head on to get it this weekend and go for shoots liao! yoo hoo! btw are there telephoto lens add ons and polar filters for the camera readily available? most of the shots i take will be nature and macros. love wildlife :D

Originally posted by Jester
is there stock for 5700??? heard its hard to get...

Not in Harvey Norman, Best, Safe, Courts superstore.
Not in John 3:16, Cathay Photo, Photoguide, Fuji World...
Not found in the Peninsula Plaza, Funan, Peninsula Shopping Centre, Raffles City, Marina Square.....

Get an E10! :p

Originally posted by Horus
... btw are there telephoto lens add ons and polar filters for the camera readily available? most of the shots i take will be nature and macros. love wildlife :D

Get an E10 + the Big Mama!! 600mm shots + body building... 2 in 1...:bsmilie:

Horus, I am a 5700 and I say u better go for the 7HI if u like faster focusing to enable u to shoot your wildlife shots!

However, unlike Nikon, there are not much accessories for the 7HI, but maybe there are 3rd party ones.

I shoot basically landscape and find the 5700 a wonderful DC, esp now that I have telecon lens for it. Not with wildlife shots though even I tried it recently, u basically need the animal to "pose" for u if u r using the 5700.

Overall, each of the DC has its strength and weakness, as there is yet to be a "perfect" prosumer DC. Yes, the noise is an issue with the 7HI and no it is not becos there are no better criticism to level against it. It is a problem when u compare it with the 5700 at ISO 100.

As a 5700 user, the only weakness is the slow focusing so don't believe other criticism levelled against it. As for battery consumption, all DCs are equally guilty.

As for the strength of the 7HI, it is overall a serious contender with 28-200mm lens, good enough for most type of photography. Also, I like the 64MB buffer and on-screen grid, this is something that 5700 does not have.

As for macro shots, u better go for 5000 as it is really solid for macro!

I don't think I have to tell u, u have to make up yr own mind as to what to get, but gd luck.

*argh...decided on getting minolta. BUT... ;(

out of stock at John 3:16 and AP (tearing hair)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

its coming on Tues but John selling more ex leh $1820 for camera alone!

any last comments ? :eek:

i dun mean to alarm u

i know nothing about the minolta. A friend of mine who has it says his camera always hangs ... but i dunno if its just his camera.

ya thats the whole problem with going digital - there is no perfect digital camera.

I know how u feel - me agonising over G2 or fuji 602. Then the thot of sticking with Nikon CP 5000 / 5700 (since i already got nikon SB28) would creep in hehehe :p it never ends does it?

:what:
EXACTLY!!! aww man...spent many sleepless nites agonising over wat i should get .. then ... DUH.

esp me being a gemini, *hehe...shifted one full round.

5700 --> F717 --> olym 730UZ --> G3 --> 5700 finally settle for Di7Hi. then found out it's Sold OUT! after a week long of conflict....:bheart:

actuali non of the cameras are good imho best to get at least Nikon D100 or EOS D60. but no $$ leh ;p

so u intend to get the S602?

*argh...decided on getting minolta. BUT... ;(

out of stock at John 3:16 and AP (tearing hair)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

its coming on Tues but John selling more ex leh $1820 for camera alone!

any last comments ? :eek:

it happened in US also, the price of dimage 7hi has gone up. to0 sellable?

btw, check with a few guys in minolta section, they got lobang(discount) maybe...........

:what:
EXACTLY!!! aww man...spent many sleepless nites agonising over wat i should get .. then ... DUH.

esp me being a gemini, *hehe...shifted one full round.

5700 --> F717 --> olym 730UZ --> G3 --> 5700 finally settle for Di7Hi. then found out it's Sold OUT! after a week long of conflict....:bheart:

actuali non of the cameras are good imho best to get at least Nikon D100 or EOS D60. but no $$ leh ;p

so u intend to get the S602?

i dunno about the gemini thing - but being the perfectionist ie i just want everything in ONE camera to be right .. well at least right for me.

Well DSLR's are way too expensive - the price of that can buy me a prosumer camera & a computer (dun have that yet either)

actually the G3 would have been perfect except that its zoom is still kinda limiting compared to the 602.

I was almost sold on the idea of the 602 until someone posted about it having banding problems - whatever that means - seem to hear quite abit of cons for the 602.

Well, am going to sentosa with Wolfgang & the rest tomorrow. Will take a look at the 602 - if the grip doesn't feel right then that might just swing me back to the G2/3 camp again.

Status
Not open for further replies.