Olympus DC external flash solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
After doing some research and considerations, plus lots of help from ckiang and KC (thanks guys!!), finally bought the following:

Vivitar 285HV Flash, $140 from Fotoguide (last piece)

Olympus PC Flash Cable FL-CB04, $88 from Alan Photo

went to AP first to look for the Vivitar, but no stock, so bought the cable FL-CB03 (as I remembered from the manual). Went around SLS looking for the Vivitar but all no stock. Then went to CP, found that they don't carry Vivitar flash, so went to Fotoguide. Found the Vivitar there, but the cable didn't fit the PC socket. Then realised I bought the wrong cable (5-pin plug and male X plug).

After that, went back to CP, asked to see the olympus flash bracket to check if the the cable I bought can fit. But no, the flash bracket only accepts 5-pin plug too. And it costs $120 by the way! So went all the way back to AP again, check the cables there, then realised FL-CB04 is the correct one. Got it changed 1- for-1. And that's the end of my adventure! The combination works flawlessly with my C700uz but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it properly with my EOS300.

So, for any olympus users who may get the cable for external flash next time, remember to get the FL-CB04 if you want to connect the cord directly to the flash. Get the FL-CB01 if you want to connect the cord to the flash bracket FL-BK01.

By the way, would like to say sorry to KC for disrupting his movie with my smses for help. :embrass:

Now I just need a flash bracket, a cheap 3rd party one. Any to recommend and where to buy?

Some test shots at about 2m:

Internal Flash, ISO100, F3.5, 1/80s
sP4063548.jpg

Vivitar 285HV Direct Flash, ISO100, F3.5, 1/250s (-1 compensation)
sP4063554.jpg

Vivitar 285HV Card-Bounced Flash, ISO100, F3.5, 1/250s (no compensation)
sP4063551.jpg

Vivitar 285HV Ceiling-Bounced Flash, ISO100, F3.5, 1/250s (+1 compensation)
sP4063555.jpg

u're welcome :)

Cathay Photo has some flash brackets for sale. You might want to look at them.

btw, did you check the trigger voltage? The EOS 30 might be quite sensitive.

Originally posted by mpenza
btw, did you check the trigger voltage? The EOS 30 might be quite sensitive.

nope, don't have a multimeter. But I tried it with the EOS 300 (not 30) and it worked lor...just that the Av/Tv/P/M modes I'm still not sure how to use them for external flash.

Hi Tweek

You have the same set up as mine ... (see my avatar).

Good choice! Wise guys think alike!

Originally posted by HOCL
Hi Tweek

You have the same set up as mine ... (see my avatar).

Good choice! Wise guys think alike!

yep :) Made this choice after recommendations from KC, who based it on your setup actually.

try to use a reflector for the test shot ... the effect will be better than just bounce from the ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.