Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subhuman

Jun 21, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Olympus C730/40 Vs Canon A70 Vs Nikon CP3100

Which one would you get if the price is not the factor (meaning they will cost the same)....?!~:dunno:

Surely I will not buy a CP3100. No manual features at all.
Among C730 and A 70 I feel it is a very subjective decision. YOU must decide if you need 10x zoom or not. Other than the zoom I guess both are failry similar.
Shastri
(Hope i got the camera specs right) In case you did not know, you can go to www.dpreview.com and choose buying guide>side by side to compare features.

hhahaa... I can't decide between the C-730/400 or A70. The hot pixels problem with Olympus cameras is bothering me alot although the 10X optical zoom will come in really handy.

On the other hand, Canon A70 seems to have all the functions that I would need BUT the brand has been known to produce stuff that spoilts easily. I know, coz I have a Canon printer and scanner...

So I am abit hesitant to buy the Canon.

Was hoping to get more advices here...

Looks like Nikon CP3100 is out of the picture!!! :D

What other Nikon cameras have functions like A70 and cost how much?

If cost were not a factor, then C-740 as I'm a zoom freak. Never underestimate the power of 10x zoom! :eek:

Originally posted by the_tick
If cost were not a factor, then C-740 as I'm a zoom freak. Never underestimate the power of 10x zoom! :eek:
...and never overestimate the stability of your hands with 10x zoom;)
Hey just kidding. A 10x is great but you will need a tripod if you really want to use all the 10x.
As far ar NIKON prosumers, I am not aware of any modles. The nearest model that comes to mind is a CP5700 but that i think sells at around 1800 SGD.
I dont see why you must be afraid of hot pixels as long as you dont shoot thunderbolts or path of stars in the sky as earth rotates.
Fot most cases you will never need an exposure of over a couple of seconds.
Anybody can correct me if i am wrong. I am a verynewbie myself. Just speaking like a pro to show off:D

If these are the choices, then my pick would be C-740UZ... ;)

C730UZ...

Because...

Supports both SM and xD cards
Live Histogram
Super Macro Mode...min focusing distance of 3cm
Supports external flash
10x Optical Zoom
Electronic View Finder
Record Movie with Sound (compared to 740)

:)

The hot pixels problem with Olympus cameras is bothering me alot although the 10X optical zoom will come in really handy.

Hot pixels in Olympus cameras? I did a test yesterday and there were zero hot/dead pixels for my C750UZ.

Originally posted by subhuman
WHAT actually are hot pixels??? Hehehe..

also i understand Olympus DC has major noise problems... what's the cause of this?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7791

Because I am actually very tempted by C-730 if the Olympus promo for only $599.00 actually happens.

What is a hot pixel!!?? Ok you can either follow the first link on the post you have in your message or you might read on;)
As all electronic devices, the CCDs used in digicams also have what is called a leakage current. And when you expose the CCD to light or just keep in on for a few seconds, the leakage from some pixel or the other will be so great enough that it tells the picture processor that there is a brigh pixel. When a lot of pixles exhibit this phenoenon, your picture will be full of 'stars'. This is called hot pixel problem.
It is not exactly a defect but rather a shortcoming of digital cams.
That is the reason you will not find exposures as 4Hrs etc. on digicams which you can find on film cams. Most consumer digicams have a maximum exposure of a few seconds.
Now that we know this, it is not really difficult to remove those 'stars' with post-processing.

Considering the noise problem, ALL digital cameras have some amount of noise at higher ISO settings. Increasing the ISO setting is actually amplifying the CCD signals more and more. The more yu amplify, the more you distort the singnal and hence you have noise. This is smilar to te noise you hear when you hear at maximum volume of your 1980's tape recorder. More the amplification, more noise.
Noise IS an inssue with most consumer digicams but I am not really sure if Oly or canon or whoever else is better in this issue.
Can some experts comment on this?

Very informative!!

Really big headache... Canon A70 is like the popular choice. tried and tested.

But Olympus C730/740 is... well... I don't know... nothing much been said abt these cameras except for their 10X optical zoom.

How?! How?!

Originally posted by shas3n
...and never overestimate the stability of your hands with 10x zoom;)
Hey just kidding. A 10x is great but you will need a tripod if you really want to use all the 10x.

That's why manual mode is very important. 10x zoom, 1/400 shutter speed and lots of light, I don't need no stinking tripod ;p Really steady hands can get by with a 1/100 shutter speed. :angel:

Originally posted by subhuman
But Olympus C730/740 is... well... I don't know... nothing much been said abt these cameras except for their 10X optical zoom.

How?! How?!

Didn't I stated about the pros of the C730UZ? Here they are again... :)

Supports both SM and xD cards
Live Histogram
Super Macro Mode...min focusing distance of 3cm
Supports external flash
10x Optical Zoom (30x with Digital Zoom; 38mm to 1140mm)
Electronic View Finder (WYSIWYG)
Record Movie with Sound (compared to 740)
Noise Reduction Function

how abt the quality of the pictures taken? which one gives better clarirty given the same situtation?

Using bigger glasses that can support 10x zoom and has a super macro capability of close focusnig up to 3cm, you decide whether the lens quality is good. Furthermore, Olympus has been very specilised in the field of optics.

For picture quality, you have to look around at the different picture galleries to decide for yourself. :)

so anyone got galleries to show?

i understand there are alot of complaints about taking indoor shots with Olympus. White balance stuff and the noise levels...

OT: Since C730UZ is using electronic viewfinder, will I be able to view my object clearly under low light conditions?

I think Canon A70 is a good buy for normal usage. Dun compare with scanner or printer. Canon produce good digicams. :D ;)

Actually quite pissed just now. went to the canon service center at funan to get my scanner fixed and the salesperson was like very "not happy" to help me. And trust me, I am not a difficult customer and I don't put on those airs.

And they are charging me $40 for service charge!!! I also went to Epson today to fix my printer (yes... everything breaks down at the same time, just wait till u hear abt my burner) and they didn't even charge me anything. In fact, the service were rather good. And there were WATER while I wait.

If I'm ever gonna get a Canon digicam, I have to know the after sales service is good. But going by today, I am definitely deducting points....

Now if only Nikon CP 4300 is on offer....

Status
Not open for further replies.