Olympus C700 Noisy shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
the extent to whether a camera can make it, depends a lot on the person who controls it.

personal opinion

yours seems to have adnormal noise problem.

Originally posted by maddog
Simply can't make it camera for night shots. So get the 2100UZ instead. ;)

C700

for nightshots, 2100uz is not much better. It boils down to understanding your camera. Azone has had much success with nightshots taken by his C700UZ, and he got useful tips for that at his website. Check it out and check out his gallery too.

If you're not familiar with the camera, even a D60 cannot do wonders for you.

wow personal attack... ;(

my friend took this camera to the Olympus service center at River Valley. the technician said that this model suffers from low noise tolerance.

so please show me decent night shots from this camera if u have any...

Firstly, that was not a personal attack, sorry if you took it to be one. Just want to open your perspective up a bit, cos c700 is capable of nice night shots, it depends on how well you know it.

Some samples from Azone's gallery (sorry azone, a direct link)
n012_std.jpg

n001_std.jpg

n026_std.jpg

Or you can check out my niteshots gallery at http://www.weekai.com , tho mine are not as nice as azone's I think.

Azone also had some tips for nightshots by C700uz at his website:

1. Set Sharpness to HIGH
2. Set Contrast to NORMAL/HIGH
3. Set ISO to 100
4. Off the camera when not taking any pictures to cool it down (reduce noise/hotpixels)
5. Avoid previewing pictures too often to prevent heating of camera (reduce noise/hotpixels)
6. Tripod is a must when taking pictures with/without optical zoom
7. Recommended to use Timer mode to eliminate the slightest shaking of camera when pressing the shutter button
8. Avoid using more than 2 seconds of exposure, where noise/hotpixels will be obvious

And yes, I agree that C700uz has more serious noise problems than other DCs, but when used properly, it has a lot of potential for very good shots. If you have the time, check out zhapchit's galleries too.

Btw, this is not an attempt to fight between C700 and C2100. Just wanna give a little more credit to C700, cos it's not as bad as you think it is.

Looks like I need to kick some ass so let me post shots from the two cameras:

relax brother...I'm not here to fight with you, nor trying to put down any camera. Like what I said in my previous post, I just want to show you what the c700uz can do.

Go easy on your perception of my posts, and go easy on your replies too. Thanks very much.

By the way, just somemore things to share: You guys know the website, www.dcresource.com right? I always find the sample shots there to be quite lacking in standard. For every camera review, Jeff Keller (the reviewer) will include a nightshot. And until now I haven't seen any nice night shots from any camera he reviewed. Most of the time, it's because of bad composition, inappropriate exposure, etc......

But that doesn't mean those cameras can't produce good night shots. So my point is, one really needs to have a good understanding of cameras in general, and better still, have a deeper understanding of the camera he is using. That will make a difference in the quality of the pictures taken.

Maddog, this is not meant to be a personal attack again. Give me a D30 and I may produce shots meant for the rubbish bin as well. Just want to share my opinions on the importance of knowing one's camera.

Nice shots.. So there is hope for this camera. Aiyah I'm not taking the posts seriously.. Just trying to act cute.... I will retake the shots with my friend's c700 at labrador park again with the recommended night shot settings.

:angel:

Yes, relax everyone. We are here to discuss not to fight. Glad to see the right spirit flowing out of this thread. Keep it up everyone. Let's not make anyone vomit blood huh! ;)

Nice shots.. So there is hope for this camera. Aiyah I'm not taking the posts seriously.. Just trying to act cute.... I will retake the shots with my friend's c700 at labrador park again with the recommended night shot settings.

:angel:

No probs. ;) Got one more tip that azone left out: using the one-touch WB on the C700uz can result in whitish and natural-looking nightshots, compared to auto WB which makes the nightshots reddish.

Hope you'll have success for your subsequent test shots. Cheers.

I agree C700uz has noise.. but not till the stage like what you post as samples. I think the person who did that must have let the camera boil to high temperature before taking those pic. ;p

Agree....those shots, especially the last few, are almost quite exaggerating (as in the noise levels) Think the digicam must be very hot at the time liao :D

I will always try to turn off my digicam in between while taking night shots. I think turning off the LCD screen does helps a bit too, anyone can confirm on this?

Otherwise, can try to use a larger aperture if u can, to avoid longer shuttle speed.....

Try taking a look at my night shots gallery if you have time :) I also have problem with noises too and I switch to F7.0 and above aperture and problem is more or less solve.

Hope this helps......

P.S: I'm new to all this too!

Originally posted by Blitz
Agree....those shots, especially the last few, are almost quite exaggerating (as in the noise levels) Think the digicam must be very hot at the time liao :D

I will always try to turn off my digicam in between while taking night shots. I think turning off the LCD screen does helps a bit too, anyone can confirm on this?

Otherwise, can try to use a larger aperture if u can, to avoid longer shuttle speed.....

Try taking a look at my night shots gallery if you have time :) I also have problem with noises too and I switch to F7.0 and above aperture and problem is more or less solve.

Hope this helps......

P.S: I'm new to all this too!

Heh.. I saw ur website and we have some similar shots...
Check this out..
Chinatown

Status
Not open for further replies.