Olympus C-5050Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midnight

For those of you who have not seen the latest news on DPReview, it seems that there is a leaked press release from Olympus stating that they will be unveiling the C-5050Z at Photokina 2002. It appears to be essentially a five megapixel update of the C-x040 line, with a f/1.8-f/2.6 35-105mm equivalent zoom lens and (finally) a tilting LCD screen. Other notable improvements include a flash hotshoe and support for CompactFlash as well as the new xD format. More info on DPReview below:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=3225382
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0208/02081802olyc5050zpr.asp

Same body quality as an E-10/20. :cool:

Yup. I'm pretty impressed how far Olympus has been able to make incremental improvements to their Camedia body designs since the original C-2000Z. They've certainly come a long way.

However, it looks like many people are very skeptical of the probable image quality from such a tiny 5MP sensor grid... Well, only time (and samples) will tell, I suppose.

Well it's opposite for me. I like this traditional and 'mature' look. I don't like those fancy fancy space shutter types. :)

But one thing I didn't like about the C2020 was the battery compartment: the door was TOO tight. You'd need both hands to force close it. And one of the springs broken finally. Don't know whether all Cx0x0 with similar build are the same.

Luckily C2100 is different.

but the 5050 looks bigger, esp the right side...
somehow looks like a cp5000 to me... but I like big grips... 8)

I think it looks professional, and the hotshoe and a tilting LCD are great plusses! If I were looking for a low zoom camera, this would be among the top in the list.

does it have long batt life? been out of touch with oly cams...

Originally posted by denizenx
does it have long batt life? been out of touch with oly cams...

would think so. the previous few cameras all have pretty decent battery life.

It doesnt speak much of its NR abilities leh. How? Wait like my 2040 so noisy then jia lat already.

It has got EXCELLENT battery life!

beats like this?
BUY buy BUY buy BUY buy BUY buy...
be still your buying heart... oops beating heart I mean.. ;)

ad in Sunday's ST says it costs $1499

Could you kindly justify your claims?
Originally posted by TSC
It has got EXCELLENT battery life!

My sister owned the Olympus C-5050Z. Battery life is as follows:-
4 new "Energizer Max" alkaline batteries :- ave 1hr of continuos usage (50% shoots with flash), reading to CF card, LCD viewing.

Originally posted by MingGuan
4 new "Energizer Max" alkaline batteries :- ave 1hr of continuos usage (50% shoots with flash), reading to CF card, LCD viewing. [/B]

Okay, call me shallow... (and I have no experience whatsoever in the line of Cx0x0 cameras of Olympus) ... but 1 hour of continuous usage with LCD viewing and flash on a freakin set of ALKALINES is pretty amazing to me. :p

So is this kinda behavious normal for these cams? I can't even think of using alkalines on an E-10... :D

:cry: :cry:

wanted to buy 5050, but till day, can only find user comments, no review or good photos yet ..

Justify? I tell u, I have used a Fuji 40i and the 2 NiMH batteries dun last more than a day with my usage. I switched to G1 and I found that its lithium batteries could last me a week before I needed to recharge it. With the 5050, I have been using Li CRV5 batteries since I bought it at Xitec. And this has included the extra usage because of fiddling around with it while looking thru the manual. And up till today, there is no low battery sign yet. I unreservedly say that the battey life is SUPER EXCELLENT. And this camera got no shutter lag too.

hi tsc, do you have any photo onlines to show??? i am desperate to get another digital cam before i go on holiday and hopefully can get it this week before mi ROM as well :D

I dun know how to post photos on line? Where got webspace? Anyway, I am very happy with my camera. It is not the smallest around, but I think it is the most feature packed.

Status
Not open for further replies.