Olympus 5060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent... Cheer for 5060... Olympus, a clear winner...

ed9119 said:
Dinesh used to own the G3 and just bought the 5060 last week..... he's confident that the shutter lag on the 5060 is shorter than the G5's

I had a go at the 5060 at Cathay today too and the lag did seem lesser. I own a G5.

i just spent some time fooling around with Dinesh's 5060 and must say that its one sweet camera

controls and functions of course different from my G5 and not used to the Oly flip out screen.....but quick to get used to it.

shutter lag was faster than my G5 and i could tell the difference

i especially liked the AEL exposure lock

the best thing I liked about the 5060

1. built in lens thread (but 40.5mm hard to find....get a step up like 40.5 to 46 )
2. the built in grid lines on the LCD are GREAT help
3. bigger capacity battery
4. takes 2 types of memory cards the CF and X-something
5. all black
6. very sharp ED lens

the only thing I didnt like was its boxy shape.... should be able to get used to it after a while

Regarding the step-up adapter. Anyone know where can I buy the step-up from 40.5 to 52mm?

The inner lens thread is 40.5mm and there is an outer thread for mounting the lens adaptor.

1) Anyone knows what is the diameter for the outer thread on the 5060?
2) Also what is the diameter of the the CLA-7 lens adaptor for mounting filters?

For me, the coolest thing about the 5060 is the quality of the LCD screen, and the ability to show highlights/shadows areas!!

so from what u guys say ... seems getting the 5060 is a wiser choice huh? hmm ... any advise?

A lot of the step up rings can be had cheaply in Singapore. Only if you can't find it then go that way.

for sure....search around...let me know where I can get my hands on one..... I hope you have more luck than I locating it. I traded 2 away recently (40.5-46) (one to Greg and one to Dinesh) and have only 2 left for my Russian lenses.....so am still on lookout for a couple more

step up ring is the way to go.....even the Hoya ones (40.5mm filters) are so expensive (about same price as a 72mm sized filter) Its the bulk of filters in the 40+mm thru the 50+mm sizes that are affordable because those are the most in demand and manufactured.

ed9119 said:
step up ring is the way to go.....even the Hoya ones (40.5mm filters) are so expensive (about same price as a 72mm sized filter) Its the bulk of filters in the 40+mm thru the 50+mm sizes that are affordable because those are the most in demand and manufactured.

Personally I see it as the Lens protector and maybe the cir pol should be the same size as the lens filter thread as they are used very often. But since this is a wide angle lens, stacking filter could well means vignetting, and bigger filters might be needed anyway.

The review on the C5060 is just out in www.imaging-resource.com. The lens is quite sharp from corner to corner, and chromatic aberration is relatively low as well. Color is accurate and appropriately saturated, if not a little less vibrant than that of the previous 5050. Really(!) excellent low-light performance, with great color balance and very low noise, even without Noise Reduction enabled. Optical distortion on the C-5060 was a little higher than average at the wide-angle end, where I measured approximately 1.0 percent barrel distortion. The telephoto end is virtually distortion-free. Chromatic aberration is fairly low. The C-5060 shows really excellent battery life, among the best in its class. I am tempted to buy it but putting it on hold now till other new cams with similar features come out in the market.

ed9119 said:
for sure....search around...let me know where I can get my hands on one..... I hope you have more luck than I locating it. I traded 2 away recently (40.5-46) (one to Greg and one to Dinesh) and have only 2 left for my Russian lenses.....so am still on lookout for a couple more

40.5 was standard filter size for many famous names in the OLD days, such as Minolta, Ricoh, or even Carl Zeiss. So if you are lucky, you could find them in the used camera shop for a song. I got a set of 6 color filters (Y, G, YG, Or, Blue, Red) made by Zeiss Ikon Stutgart for $50 recently and could not be more happy with the result. So, look around...

Guys is the U/W casing of 5060 out? where can i get it?

kalf said:
Guys is the U/W casing of 5060 out? where can i get it?
Dun think the U/W casing is out yet. In fact, most shops still dun stock up 5060 accessories...

Have you gotten the polarising filter? (assuming yes) I was quoted $60 for it...did you managed to get it cheaper?

What's the price of the BLM-1 batt? It has good endurance but would be more comfortable with a spare. Excellent photos & ergonomics. Bought in KL for RM2250. Using a 40.5mm Digi-Optic UV filter for protection.

RM2250 is much cheaper that SIN price! Here its about S$1150 - S$1250. I'm surprised that its so much cheaper in Malaysia.

BLM-1 is about S$120 - S$140 depending on the shop. The B-HLD20 which goes for under S$200 is a really cool accessory.

Sree

Sree, you have the quote for the B-HLD20 and the wide-angle conversion lens? Apparently, you seems to have the most accessories for 5060 here. :p

After lugging my Nikon SLR for the last 15 years, I decided to go to Digital Prosumer and thus after getting my 5060, I bought a few accessories as well. Hee..Hee..Hee

Prices are based on quotations from the usual sources:

B-HLD20 b/w $180-$200
CLA-7 b/w $38 - $45
WCON 0.7C b/w $220 - $240

Sree - Thanks for the pricing. I'm lucky to have got that price for the 5060. I too was lugging around an F90x & eos50 for many years & many other Nikon SLRs. It's a relieve to use a DC for 2 yrs now. I have a Casio QV-3500 which needs servicing.

Thanks Sree! :D but i guess the availability of those accessories is limited i guess since it's new.
Just curious, have read up about the focusing lag at night due to low light. Have you encounter problem with it? And saw posting about the shutter lag when taking "action" shot like sports or fast moving object due to the f stop. Any comments from you, the early adapter of 5060?

Pardon me for my idiot questions, i know nothing about controls in SLR. Terms like f-stop, shutter, aperture and stuff confuse me as always. Trying to learn. Correct me if my question is phased wrongly. :p

Lastly, thanks for the time and effort spent on advicing me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.