Olympus 150-400mm

[ Production will continue at the facility in Dong Nai province, Vietnam, where imaging products have been manufactured since 2008. ]
UnQuote

Since the 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1. 25x IS Pro lens is made to order and the original stock has been according to Olympus claims "sold out".
New lens must be made if anyone places an order. Made Where? See above. They say. Not I say.
[/QUOTE]

The Vietnam factory has been operating since 2008 so a core number of it's workers would have been trained in Olympus Japan if I know of Japanese way they are very meticulous in terms of quality control. So regardless if 150-400 pro is made in vietnam I'm confident of it's quality. Remember when Rollei germany open a factory in Chai Chee sg. They did similar in recruiting locals. I applied for a position but was not selected..haha. Such was their selection process.

I would have guess the machines that grind the special ed, super ed lenses and the aspherical types would already be transfered to the vietnam factory and the workers would have recieved the relevant training. At the very least if the workers are not that skilled which I doubt then olympus would simply import the lenses from japan and the factory would just be an assembly and testing operation.
That is if the manufacturing tolerances are maintained for the lens barrel assemblies. It's technically a no brainer in terms of making a 150-400 pro lens.

That said 150- 400 pro with the EM1X can hold it's own with the fullframe competition given olympus superiority in their 5 axis image stabalisation plus given it's pioneering headstart in IBIS technology.

Why do you keep harping on where a lens or camera is made in? So PLEASE @ricohflex, ENOUGH of all your irrelevant postings. Go buy your SONY, Canon, Leica or Hasselblad.

Olympus news release 4 January 2021

[ Production will continue at the facility in Dong Nai province, Vietnam, where imaging products have been manufactured since 2008. ]
UnQuote

Since the 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1. 25x IS Pro lens is made to order and the original stock has been according to Olympus claims "sold out".
New lens must be made if anyone places an order. Made Where? See above. They say. Not I say.

When 150-400mm news/review were launched. There were no official statement saying this lens will be definitely made in Japan. Even B&H mentioned that.

It was the same person here kept “attacking” the fact the company or the reviewers have something to hide where it was made.

And the person has no intent of buying or contribute any useful info for the m43 community/users.

Just wanna whack and whack.

Sad.

Talking about being outdated. Ricohflex replied to the post which is posted in 2018 LOL!

Hope clubsnap will give him the highest honour when m43 is really dead. LOL.
Trying very hard to prove his point..salute ..lol

Last edited:
Anyway, everybody is entitled to their opinions.. lol

Back to the topic of this lens, anybody went to test drive this lens. I went to try the lens at TK Foto today and I am impressed.

Unlike a few shooters here, I cannot justify the ownership of such fine glass. I won't even tempt my self into touching it least I succumb to the temptation to own it.

It just reminds me of the back then 35-100/2, 150/2, 300/2 and that 90-250/2.8. It's just see from a far but no touch or even try.

Anyway, everybody is entitled to their opinions.. lol

Back to the topic of this lens, anybody went to test drive this lens. I went to try the lens at TK Foto today and I am impressed.

It really depends on how much you are into the hobby.

Just found out my friend, besides having the Sony 600mm F4, also have a Canon 600mm F4, each of which cost more than US$12K!

My brother spent $4000 for a pair of speaker cables for his Hifi and I tried very hard to tell the difference between the previous $800 cable.
It is really difficult, maybe 5 to 10% difference, but he is so pleased with it and has a big smile on his face.

Depending on your personal standards, I have met a few photographers who say there is not much difference between F4 and F2.8 lenses and most of the time, they prefer not to shoot at F2.8 anyway. Sometimes F2.8 lenses may costs you about 1.5x more. Whether these Fine glass prices can be justify is really subjective :)

Unlike a few shooters here, I cannot justify the ownership of such fine glass. I won't even tempt my self into touching it least I succumb to the temptation to own it.

It just reminds me of the back then 35-100/2, 150/2, 300/2 and that 90-250/2.8. It's just see from a far but no touch or even try.

That's why I mention I cannot justify the ownership. I am not into birding nor am I into sports. The occasional Motorsports that I do, that 40-140 is already sufficient. And my lousy entry level photography that OLD 50-500 works just great. (at least it's MiJ)

Having said that., I may look for that should I retire and take up photography seriously.

Think I mentioned before, I have met a photographer who owns that 300 and 90-250. So if he is still using Oly, I won't be surprise he will get that 150-400.

On that audio, I still cannot understand those who pay $$$$ per meter for cables in a car audio set. For a sound proof room, maybe. If one is playing back ANALOG audio, then I guess it's worth all that $$$$$. Nothing wrong with digital music unless you get those noloss compression, I think spending a fortune on the system defeats the purpose. BUT I am a tat tone deaf so it make no difference. :)

It really depends on how much you are into the hobby.

Just found out my friend, besides having the Sony 600mm F4, also have a Canon 600mm F4, each of which cost more than US$12K!

My brother spent $4000 for a pair of speaker cables for his Hifi and I tried very hard to tell the difference between the previous $800 cable.
It is really difficult, maybe 5 to 10% difference, but he is so pleased with it and has a big smile on his face.

Depending on your personal standards, I have met a few photographers who say there is not much difference between F4 and F2.8 lenses and most of the time, they prefer not to shoot at F2.8 anyway. Sometimes F2.8 lenses may costs you about 1.5x more. Whether these Fine glass prices can be justify is really subjective :)

It's all about seeking perfection, where money is no longer the greatest concern.
Just like those who keep proposing Full Frame is the defacto standard.

But, at times we need to be practical.
To me, M43 offer a more practical size, weight and price.
The 150-400 is NOT the best telephoto lenses available, but it does fit in somewhere
for photographers who want something lighter and slightly cheaper. And the
150-400 offer a reach of 800mm without a external tele-converter at an aperture F4.5
or even up 1000mm with the built in tele-converter.

It is unfortunate we have someone here who choose not to acknowledge any of its benefits
but dig or something not of concern to most photographers of the country of manufacture.

Ohhh...heard MS color have a demo unit of that 150-400.

Anyone upgrading from the Oly 100-400? Can I book your unit?