Oly SLRs- e1 + e300

Status
Not open for further replies.

softvoice

Nov 28, 2004
Hi

The following threads shows the power of fast lenses.

I currently own a D70 + 80-400VR lens and an assortment
of other lenses and I pre-ordered the E-300 at the sitex show
- hopefully I stand a chance to get it for free!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=11247331

One interesting note is that in iraq, a lot of
journalists use the E1 because of the weather
proofing - can use in rain and dust ..

the E-300 has the same weather proofing features
and looking at all the HANDHELD shots using an
F2.0 lens, it would blow away all Canon IS and Nikon VR
lenses..

A friend of mine has the SG$12,000 300mm F2.8 Zuiko Prime
He can take shots with 1 hand and beat my D70+ 80-400VR
anytime.. the focus on the Oly E1 is also so fast that I did
not believe it.. its very much faster than my D70 AFS.

I understand that the new Nikons next feb may feature
an antidust system too. But it is the weather proofing
that I am truly interested in.

I think anyone daring to use the E1 and E-300 in the rain would
be maximizing the usage. I surely wont bring out my D70
in the rain today .

I think anyone wanting to concentrate on wildlife can surely
use the Oly E systems to its max.. the f2.0 150MM + 1.4 TC is actually
440 MM.

If you STACK the TC, you should get over 600 MM at F3.5 approx.
and that would be cheaper than an F2.8 300MM .

Once I get the 300, I'll give it a good run and if so I may clear out
all my Nikon stuff.

The 150MM is around SG$3661..

Softvoice

softvoice said:
One interesting note is that in iraq, a lot of
journalists use the E1 because of the weather
proofing - can use in rain and dust ..

lenses..

I think anyone daring to use the E1 and E-300 in the rain would
be maximizing the usage. I surely wont bring out my D70
in the rain today .

1. In Iraq? Interesting (if true). Where did you read that from?

2. E-300 weatherproof? False.

3. The D70 and the VR lens combo is a very weak one to compare against an E-1 with a 300/2.8. Better to compare say a D2H with the VR lens or a 400mm Nikkor.

4. If you use your camera in the rain, you might get raindrops on the front of the lens :bsmilie:

Hi,

I think you've got your math all wrong. 600mm f3.5 with stacked TCs? 300/2.8 12k Oly versus your 80-400VR? Thus beating it? No offence intended, but you really need to do some homework.

Hello Softvoice,

Just to clarify, the E300 isn't weather-proof & neither are the consumer line of lenses 14-45 & 40-150mm that are introduced alongside. The lack of weather-proofing is to keep the E300 kit competitive with the 300D & D70 since consumers are price-sensitive in the entry level DSLR segment of the market. Of course that doesn't make the E300 any less durable or solidly constructed :)

You may also wish to know that E1 autofocus performance is boosted with the expensive but equally weather-proofed HLD2 Power Battery holder. On it's own, the E1 autofocus is accurate but not necessarily very fast but no problem for day-to-day shots when lighting is good. Others may have different experiences though.

But it is heartwarming to hear of competitive performance with the major brands.

Not sure if it's verified but I read that the 150mm intro was delayed to incorporate faster focusing motors for even better focus response.

The 300mm & 150mm are highly desirable lenses :)

Cheers,

i hate to burst your bubble, but there was an article in newsweek earlier this year which asked what the journalist brought, almost all were using 1d series bodies. Only a few with leicas and nikons. Certainly no mention of the E1 at all. I think it is fair to say that the canon's weather proofing system has been around longer than the E1 itself. As to focus speeds, having tested the E1 when it was first launched, i certainly didn't find it faster than my D1H(at that time) and a 300mm f2.8 AFI not to say the AFS. And i am definitely sure my canon 1d with my 400mm is faster than my D1H. So i don't know where u're coming from. Your 80-400 is a gear driven lens and will definitely be slow on your D70 becos the D70 motor itself is not as powerful. Try it on a F5 and see the difference, or a D1X /D2H for that matter.

2100 said:
Hi,

I think you've got your math all wrong. 600mm f3.5 with stacked TCs? 300/2.8 12k Oly versus your 80-400VR? Thus beating it? No offence intended, but you really need to do some homework.

Hmm ok
150mm X2 = 300mm x1.4c = 420
420 x 1.4 = 588

I dont know what happens to the aperture, I think
it should increase only slightly as the Zuiko TC
is very good.

So If I am wrong how do you calculate?
I thought a 300mm f2.8 on an E1 is actually 600mm? because
of the 2x multiplier?

Softvoice.

kahheng said:
1. In Iraq? Interesting (if true). Where did you read that
from?

2. E-300 weatherproof? False.

3. The D70 and the VR lens combo is a very weak one to compare against an E-1 with a 300/2.8. Better to compare say a D2H with the VR lens or a 400mm Nikkor.

4. If you use your camera in the rain, you might get raindrops on the front of the lens :bsmilie:

search Dpreview oly slr forums and you will see many ref
to iraq

http://www.conflictpics.com/Iraq/index.htm

some other thread quoted a photojournalism poll that states
the E1 is one of the most used cameras in Iraq.

2. Ok evolt is not thunderproof - will try the E2 after getting warmed
up with the evolt

3. I dont own the D2h but I would say that any F2.0 prime lens on
any camera can beat any VR lens unless that VR lens has a matching
aperture..

4. Not if you have a sealed long hood and face your backside against
the wind.. anyway I do hope the 150MM F2.0 is weatherproof.

softvoice

Hello Softvoice,

I'm afraid I have to speak for the facts, even as an Oly user.

A sublink on equipment at the conflictpics website, shows the photographer to be a Leica & subsequent Canon 1D user, at least as current as that webpage is.

All of Oly's lenses except the latest consumer lines are claimed dust & drip proof. Dpreview has some use of E1 in inclement weather here.

In your calculation of focal length in arriving at the focal length of 588mm for the Digital Zuiko 150mm, the focal length multiplication factor of 1.4was made twice when it should only be done once. That's because the Olympus 1.4 teleconverter doesn't support stacking as mentioned in the instruction sheet. So the maximum effective focal length & aperture after the teleconverter mount in 35mm system equivalent is 420mm F2.8. However, I agree with your point that image quality is reasonably maintained due to the high quality optics used in the teleconverter.

In my view, where Oly's E1 would suit the battlefield conditions in Iraq are its dust filter to facilitate lens changes & compact size without the vertical battery grip in cramped combat conditions. Weather seals are great features on Canon, Nikon & Olympus top marques DSLRs.

Cheers,

softvoice said:
Hi

lenses..

Softvoice

Hahahaha. I wanted to reply in detail, then thought about it, this could just be flamebait since the nick is just newly registered. There are so many things wrong with the post that one just doesn't know where to start :)

Everyone knows that Sigma SD10 is the best DSLR in the world. duh. I can handhold with one hand a Sigma SD10 and 800mm f/5.6 HSM EX and my pics will blow away anything the Oly E-1 can produce.

softvoice said:
search Dpreview oly slr forums and you will see many ref
to iraq

http://www.conflictpics.com/Iraq/index.htm

some other thread quoted a photojournalism poll that states
the E1 is one of the most used cameras in Iraq.

2. Ok evolt is not thunderproof - will try the E2 after getting warmed
up with the evolt

3. I dont own the D2h but I would say that any F2.0 prime lens on
any camera can beat any VR lens unless that VR lens has a matching
aperture..

4. Not if you have a sealed long hood and face your backside against
the wind.. anyway I do hope the 150MM F2.0 is weatherproof.

softvoice

1. The link you gave...... digging about (under "Resources" http://www.conflictpics.com/Resources/index.htm), I see "He is now equipped with three Canon EOS-1D bodies, 17~35mm f2.8L, 85mm f1.8 and 80~200mm f2.8L lenses. In order to send the images back from any location, a IP satellite phone (Regional BGAN) is connected to a laptop." :bsmilie:

[Dream on about any other brand beating Canon in the mainstream PJ photo market now - they are just so far ahead that it's not even worth trying - once again, the keyword is "MAINSTREAM" as in the big wire services, stock, newspaper, mags. It really isn't about weatherproofing alone that makes this brand and it's PJ cameras stand out. It's about the quality, speed and proven-ness of the entire package.]

3. Beat? Beat in what sense? What aberrations, what criteria?

Comparing an ZOOM vs a PRIME is, er, screwy, VR or no VR. That VR lens will no doubt 'beat' that prime in many other ways. Not forgetting the fact that cost of ownership is sometimes, erm, a consideration as well :what:

4. "Not if you have a sealed long hood and face your backside against
the wind.. anyway I do hope the 150MM F2.0 is weatherproof."

But what if the subject is in the direction of the wind :bsmilie:

erwinx said:
Everyone knows that Sigma SD10 is the best DSLR in the world. duh. I can handhold with one hand a Sigma SD10 and 800mm f/5.6 HSM EX and my pics will blow away anything the Oly E-1 can produce.

Absolutely! :rolleyes:

Softbox, actually at first i thought you were trying to be funny. But later after reading your responses i guess maybe not. Anyway, let us all continue nicely. :)

With a 1.4x TC, generally you lose 1 stop. With a 2x, you lose 2 stops. With a 1.7x, not sure. ;p

Nikon and Canon bodies like the D2H, 1D are good enough to AF till f8 (after you put on all the TCs), so no problems with putting on a 500/4 + 1.7TC if i am not wrong.

With 12k (Oly 300/2.8), you can get a D2H + AF-S 500/4 for that kind of price. Actually, 3k gets you a sigma 120-300/2.8 and is pretty good for wildlife/birds (use TCs, or you can stick to 300mm) and telephoto uses like sports, even fashion shows. :) Pretty heavy and bulky though.
Remember, Nikon and Canon has 1.5 and 1.6x crops respectively too.
And sometimes you need a deeper DOF for some shots (even for wildlife), even people with 500 or 600/4 may shoot up to f8 even though they are sharpest wide open. Then you need to bump the ISO coz you need the shutter speed, and that is an area where the 4/3 system does not shine.

There are other factors too....but just to point out some info for starters, besides i don't really like to compare brands lar. There are good and bad points for each and every system.

Come to think of it, even if you mate your current D70 to a sigma 120-300/2.8 HSM, you will find that the AF is very fast. The 80-400VR is not only slow due to being motor driven by the body, the gearing itself is slow (purposely by design). Even a sigma 50-500HSM which is one of the slower AF lenses for birds, is noticeably faster than a 80-400VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.