Oly E1 shoots one picture :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancy

Dec 16, 2003
Northern Singapore
Visit site
Dear Oly Snappers,

Just to share one picture & taking to writing less for a change :) It's barely credit card size and obviously not-representative of the E1's capability (for good or bad) :)

For the gear curious, I was using an Olympus OM 135mm f4.5 (65-110mm auto extension tube) mated to my E1 using the MA1 adaptor. Focusing was by push-pull (for a change).

Just adding some colour to the Oly forum :)

Cheers,

hello chancy, nice one. :)

i think it can be renamed as "I want to break free". :bsmilie:

since u r using the adaptor, care to share if there's any OM tilt & shift lens from old times? i think the only accessoriy not available on the E sys is a T&S lens.

nightpiper said:
hello chancy, nice one. :)

i think it can be renamed as "I want to break free". :bsmilie:

since u r using the adaptor, care to share if there's any OM tilt & shift lens from old times? i think the only accessoriy not available on the E sys is a T&S lens.

Thanks Nightpiper,

You may be aware that Oly OM series provides shift but not tilt perspective controls in focal lengths of 35mm & 24mm respectively.

Personally I find tilt to be a useful facility for depth of field control particularly for macros by taking advantage of the the Scheimpflug effect.

A non-OM solution through the use of the MA-1/Kendai OM adaptor is a product called the Multi Focus System from Zork; a most interesting & innovative company. The product is rather expensive and makes use of an APO coated enlarger lens for imaging, so you can't choose your favourite manual lens. The other issue would be the focal length multiplying factor since the solution uses 80 & 90mm (35mm system) respectively.

A lower-optical quality but more affordable option but one which offers great artistic opportunities would be lensbabies which is available for the OM mount & Nikon mount (since you're getting the Kindai-F mount-E1 adaptor).

And finally, there's always the wonderful PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D which you can use with the Kindai-F mount-E1 adaptor as well, but the FL multiplier is an issue to consider.

I think one of the great features of an open-mount standard is the ability to mix & match interesting (hopefully useful) third party equipment through the use of adaptors (limited in function as they may be). Well, the E-system lens system is still in its infancy relative to the N&Cs. I too look foward to innovative lenses from Oly, but I guess it's high speed primes, zooms & macros to expect for 2005.

Well improvements in SW may offer new opportunities. Eg Olympus Studio SW takes EXIF info from the ZD wide-angle lens' built-in chip & applies optical distortion corrections to the corner-to-corner sharp image. That is a step in the right direction already :)

Cheers,

A non-OM solution through the use of the MA-1/Kendai OM adaptor is a product called the Multi Focus System from Zork; a most interesting & innovative company. The product is rather expensive and makes use of an APO coated enlarger lens for imaging, so you can't choose your favourite manual lens.

There's no necessity to use an APO enlarging lens, though, just as in the case with normal taking lenses, you'd expect APO lenses to have generally better performance. Most decent enlarging lenses will do fine on the Zoerk Multifocus System. I speak from experience, owning two and a raft of enlarging lenses, one APO and the rest not.

I think one of the great features of an open-mount standard is the ability to mix & match interesting (hopefully useful) third party equipment through the use of adaptors (limited in function as they may be). Well, the E-system lens system is still in its infancy relative to the N&Cs. I too look foward to innovative lenses from Oly, but I guess it's high speed primes, zooms & macros to expect for 2005.

What feature? The so-called 'open-mount standard' (which I take you're referring to the 4/3 system mount standard) is essentially to AVOID inconsistencies/problems in cross-brand operation for lenses with the same 4/3 mount by standardizing key design and engineering parameters. 'Lens-hacking' wasn't what the engineers who came up with the 4/3 system had in mind ;-)

BTW, some might say that the most favorable 35mm SLR mount for the die-hard lens hacker is the EOS mount which seems to accept almost any other lenses (but not all) via various adapters due to the (fortunately) more favorable flange to imager distance used in the EF system. But yes, the 4/3 mount is not half bad for this type of thing.

Well improvements in SW may offer new opportunities. Eg Olympus Studio SW takes EXIF info from the ZD wide-angle lens' built-in chip & applies optical distortion corrections to the corner-to-corner sharp image. That is a step in the right direction already :)

That's just erroneous. If the corners are not sharp in the first place, the Studio software cannot make it sharp as if by magic. The maxim is: If it's not there, it's not there.

What Studio can do is to correct for light falloff (often called vignetting or corner darkening) and geometric distortion. This is not unique to Olympus. Nikon's software can do the same for some of their lenses as well, but Studio is able to do this for all ZD lenses.

Any shots from the 135/2.8?

kahheng said:
A non-OM solution through the use of the MA-1/Kendai OM adaptor is a product called the Multi Focus System from Zork; a most interesting & innovative company. The product is rather expensive and makes use of an APO coated enlarger lens for imaging, so you can't choose your favourite manual lens.

There's no necessity to use an APO enlarging lens, though, just as in the case with normal taking lenses, you'd expect APO lenses to have generally better performance. Most decent enlarging lenses will do fine on the Zoerk Multifocus System. I speak from experience, owning two and a raft of enlarging lenses, one APO and the rest not.

What feature? The so-called 'open-mount standard' (which I take you're referring to the 4/3 system mount standard) is essentially to AVOID inconsistencies/problems in cross-brand operation for lenses with the same 4/3 mount by standardizing key design and engineering parameters. 'Lens-hacking' wasn't what the engineers who came up with the 4/3 system had in mind ;-)

BTW, some might say that the most favorable 35mm SLR mount for the die-hard lens hacker is the EOS mount which seems to accept almost any other lenses (but not all) via various adapters due to the (fortunately) more favorable flange to imager distance used in the EF system. But yes, the 4/3 mount is not half bad for this type of thing.

That's just erroneous. If the corners are not sharp in the first place, the Studio software cannot make it sharp as if by magic. The maxim is: If it's not there, it's not there.

What Studio can do is to correct for light falloff (often called vignetting or corner darkening) and geometric distortion. This is not unique to Olympus. Nikon's software can do the same for some of their lenses as well, but Studio is able to do this for all ZD lenses.

Hello Kah Heng,

Thanks for filling in the details. I should have been clearer in my writing.

- That the Zork's Multi Focus System in kit form comes with APO coated enlarging lenses. You can get the item without the lens to fit one enlarger lens of your own.

- That Olympus 11-22mm ZD (And All ZDs) produces sharp-edge-to-edge images to begin with. And Oly Studio puts a shine on the final image by performing geometic distortion correction (plus the vigenetting corrections mentioned by you).

My apologies for trying to put too much facts into too few words :)

Thanks for setting my 'facts' straight and correcting my perspective (pun intended) :)

thx chancy for dropping the links to lensbabies. :) it certainly sounds like lomo on 35mm to me. :bsmilie: when my fingers r itchy for some arty moves, i will definitely get that little baby. looks so fun!! :vhappy:

and also thx kahheng for the extra info. that clears things up a little. :thumbsup:

chancy said:
My apologies for trying to put too much facts into too few words :)

That's what happens when you're not verbose enough, kekekeke :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.