Oly E-500 out in UK


Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#1
Yesh, its finally out in england now but....

few hundred S$ more ex and it doesnt come with any freebies....

So, we should be thankful singapore still cheaper ya?

Though i do have ta wait like exactly one month before i touchdown to singapore

and il definitely get my hands on one of them immediately!
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#2
ernie_ng81 said:
Yesh, its finally out in england now but....

few hundred S$ more ex and it doesnt come with any freebies....

So, we should be thankful singapore still cheaper ya?

Though i do have ta wait like exactly one month before i touchdown to singapore

and il definitely get my hands on one of them immediately!
Congrats, but u may find its not worth all the hue and whistles given a high price point.
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#4
ernie_ng81 said:
do u mean high price point as in singapore or uk?
Anywhere, maybe more so if buying in UK. :bsmilie:
Btw when ur returning, the customs may imposed a GST on it.
Scarry purchase, i'd say
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#5
yeah, but still it seems like a good deal to get it back home anyway.

i would have ordered through u if i were goin back anytime earlier! haha...

Either way, been waiting for this camera for quite some time already.
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#6
ernie_ng81 said:
yeah, but still it seems like a good deal to get it back home anyway.

i would have ordered through u if i were goin back anytime earlier! haha...

Either way, been waiting for this camera for quite some time already.
After using it for awhile, its quite bland. If u dont have the ED lenses to drool upon.
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#7
chainsmoker said:
After using it for awhile, its quite bland. If u dont have the ED lenses to drool upon.
Hmmm...:think: really???

maybe i should get the 350D then??? :dunno: :bsmilie:
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#8
ernie_ng81 said:
Hmmm...:think: really???

maybe i should get the 350D then??? :dunno: :bsmilie:
Think if u can afford that extra few hundred on a better setup. Coz the kit wont do much.
 

khnglh

New Member
Dec 28, 2004
610
0
0
#9
so...I alreay saw it for sale in KL (KLCC Shopping Centre) last weekend...

:) BUY BUY BUY
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#10
chainsmoker said:
Think if u can afford that extra few hundred on a better setup. Coz the kit wont do much.
So if i cant? u suppose i should look for something else like a 350D or D70s?
 

Aug 7, 2005
451
0
0
GagalandCloud9
#11
ernie_ng81 said:
So if i cant? u suppose i should look for something else like a 350D or D70s?
They still have the same spending curve or more.
All im saying is the e500 kit wont do much. U'd be expected to dump more $ into it, so u ought to consider where the $ is goin? I guess for me its the lens from OM that influence my choice with the camera.
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#12
chainsmoker said:
They still have the same spending curve or more.
All im saying is the e500 kit wont do much. U'd be expected to dump more $ into it, so u ought to consider where the $ is goin? I guess for me its the lens from OM that influence my choice with the camera.
Hmm... for me, i just love olympus cameras and their lenses are great.

tats why still considering.

But comparing e-300 to the e-500, would u be saying the e-500 is not as good?
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#13
ernie_ng81 said:
So if i cant? u suppose i should look for something else like a 350D or D70s?
If you get the Canon 350D or 20D, you would have to get prime lenses or 'L' zoom lenses if you want lenses with optical quality equal to or better than that of the 'cheapo' Olympus kit lens or the 45-150mm zoom lens. So factor that into your budget too. ;)
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#14
tomcat said:
If you get the Canon 350D or 20D, you would have to get prime lenses or 'L' zoom lenses if you want lenses with optical quality equal to or better than that of the 'cheapo' Olympus kit lens or the 45-150mm zoom lens. So factor that into your budget too. ;)
Are the canon kit lens and all that bad???

And how about sigma/tamron/tokina lens?
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#15
ernie_ng81 said:
Are the canon kit lens and all that bad???

And how about sigma/tamron/tokina lens?
I only use a Sigma 105mm Macro or Sigma 50mm Macro or Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 with my Canon 20D. Can't afford 'L' zoom lenses and my EF 28-135mm IS and EF 75-300mm IS just plain sux compared to the 2 kit Olympus lenses though each of them costs twice as much as any of those 2 Oly lenses :(
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#16
tomcat said:
I only use a Sigma 105mm Macro or Sigma 50mm Macro or Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 with my Canon 20D. Can't afford 'L' zoom lenses and my EF 28-135mm IS and EF 75-300mm IS just plain sux compared to the 2 kit Olympus lenses though each of them costs twice as much as any of those 2 Oly lenses :(
Really? u mean the quality of the photos that come out arent that good?
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#17
ernie_ng81 said:
Really? u mean the quality of the photos that come out arent that good?
The photos from these lenses tend to be soft, especially the 75-300mm IS. I take a lot of photos of my cats. One would think that the IS would come in handy for such shoots but absolutely none of the photos taken with these 2 lenses 'can make it' by my standard, so much so that I don't even bother to use them any more. On the other hand, I could get acceptably sharp 'cat' photos with the Oly zoom lenses. :dunno:
 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#18
tomcat said:
The photos from these lenses tend to be soft, especially the 75-300mm IS. I take a lot of photos of my cats. One would think that the IS would come in handy for such shoots but absolutely none of the photos taken with these 2 lenses 'can make it' by my standard, so much so that I don't even bother to use them any more. On the other hand, I could get acceptably sharp 'cat' photos with the Oly zoom lenses. :dunno:
but isnt the 75-300mm lens meant for long range zoom shots and not macro?

Hope ur talkin bout taking macro shots of ur cat.
 

tomcat

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
5,515
11
0
63
Visit site
#19
ernie_ng81 said:
but isnt the 75-300mm lens meant for long range zoom shots and not macro?

Hope ur talkin bout taking macro shots of ur cat.
A 'Macro' lens is not just meant to be used to take extremley close-up shots. It is also a very high optical quality prime lens which is sharp from corner to corner unlike a normal prime lens. I am using the Sigma 105mm macro lens as a 100mm prime lens for my cat photos with the 20D. With the E300, I usually like to use the ZD 50mm f/2 macro lens for this purpose but could also use the 40-150mm zoom for greater flexibility if need be... like in this shot taken in ambient light without flash with the 40-150mm lens

 

May 26, 2004
343
0
0
Singapore
#20
geez....thanks for the info....hmmm...i dun usually play with lens so im quite new to it. great help
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom