Oly DSLR flash system

Status
Not open for further replies.

novello76

Jul 11, 2004
I am exploring the Oly system and am currently using D70 set up. Just curious and would like to find out how good the Oly flash system is? How are the results for Oly DLSR system for flash photography (esp indoor)? Also wonder whats the experience of oly users using the oly system for event coverage? I somehow have a perception that most photographers doing event coverage uses the typical Nikon, Canon, Fuji system Would be nice and impt to hear from Oly users perspective, since i do quite a bit of event coverage for my church. Thks.

event coverage with olympus is fine. as with any other brands. it's the photographer, not the brand! =)

anyway here're some shots i took with my e-1, 14-54, and fl-50. 2 pictures; one indoor (rouge), one outdoor (ndp'05), BOTH ISO 800. the indoor was bounced 90 degrees no compensation. it was before i got my stofen. and outdoor one was direct slow-synch.

nationalday2ul.jpg

rouge6ee.jpg

there is NO PP: only resizing and adding of borders in these pics. i chose these 2 to show that the whole noise issue is blown out of proportion at times and iso 800 CAN produce perfectly usable photos. and also to show how the flash setup performs in horrible lighting conditions. both pictures were taken in **close to pitch black** conditions.

the fl-50 does work wonders with the e-1. it's a hassle-free setup. wb is spot on. wonderful flash system and i cannot ask for more. the flash bracket might be a nice addition but i've no need for short flash cycles. an extra set of AA's usually suffice.

is the WB spot on? I think the second pic WB is off. my AMATEUR opinon. :)

wind30 said:
is the WB spot on? I think the second pic WB is off. my AMATEUR opinon. :)

hm. actually... u're rite and i agree. ;) u made me relook at the other pictures i took that day. they were taken on the 2nd day i got my cam (2+yrs ago?) lol. i suspect the warm cast is due to the mixed lighting and ceiling. i admit i should've used cwb to nail the wb. awb was used and it performs significantly better in exisiting light. o well.

it's under meh? i think ok lah.

my opinions of cos. overall, i'm happy with the results i'm getting. any others with experience with oly flash setup?

If you shoot in RAW, you'll have lots of room to adjust both the exposure and the white balance after the shot.

thanks for response so far..not very convinced yet..can any other oly users share their expereince so fr?Thanks.

my pics, at ISO400

dnd.jpg

the full res pic can be downloaded here

http://pisduck.com/e1/d&d.jpg

how come my picture appears as a link although I used the
tag?

No editing except neat image to reduce noise and tuning the EB. The auto WB was quite off

I agree that sometimes the auto WB is not accurate (E300 + FL36) and exposure seems a bit under at times. I prefer to use Sunpak 383 or my Metzt 45CT for bounce....more powerful

Very good results with the FL-50. Color is very accurate.

Thanks to win30 tips

Tried E300 on ISO400, pretty good result. Using Metz 44 on Auto.

PC156749a.jpg

selamatlzh said:
Thanks to win30 tips

Tried E300 on ISO400, pretty good result. Using Metz 44 on Auto.

PC156749a.jpg
I thnk its overexposed..

novello76 said:
I thnk its overexposed..

The flash seems a bit too harsh and gives a flat feel to the faces.

here is another shot of my dnd. In this case, the WB was spot on I think. But still the color drifted after processing.

I am using lightsphere IIPJ with FL36 + E1.

Comments Please :)

dnd1.jpg

Wind30, on my screen, it's a little under.. I mean the people.

Here's one of mine I took of my nieces just this evening to test the Lightsphere. The lack of harsh shadows is a surprise to me. I prefer some indication that the lights were incandescent, not perfectly WB.

PC170349_DCE1.jpg

novello76 said:
thanks for response so far..not very convinced yet..can any other oly users share their expereince so fr?Thanks.

The colors are not lost if the right amount of flash is used (see the relectiom off the table). This shot was taken after dinner was cleared from the table just now. I did not want to correct the WB too much as our naked eyes do not completely compensate like some of the photos I've seen. Too artificial.

Note: You can know that flash was primarily used for the lighting by seeing the shadows under the girls' chins.

PC170366_DCE1.jpg

very cute nieces! i agree too "perfect" wb is not nice at times. where did u get your lightsphere and how much did u get it for? is it the PJ? do you have the stofen for comparisons? i would think there's more significant light loss for the omnibounce.

KrY0LiT3 said:
very cute nieces! i agree too "perfect" wb is not nice at times. where did u get your lightsphere and how much did u get it for? is it the PJ? do you have the stofen for comparisons? i would think there's more significant light loss for the omnibounce.

I got the PJ at CP some time ago for I think $75, but this is the first time I am using it. I also have the Stofen, and it is way to harsh for my liking, since I primarily shoot people (candids). It however, has its use as it covers as wide as 15mm, suitable for my 7-14mm lens.

I have seen a lot of portrait shots in this forum. The "capturing the moment" is never mentioned, just boring discussions on sharpness and lighting. Skin tone for most of the shots look like cadavers in a morgue...seriously :).

Status
Not open for further replies.