Oly DSLR flash system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one photo that shows the harsh and difficult lighting conditions. Yet, I don't think it would be correct to completely WB the photo without losing the skin tone under those conditions. My $0.02 worth.

PC170411_DCE1.jpg

wind30 said:
here is another shot of my dnd. In this case, the WB was spot on I think. But still the color drifted after processing.

I am using lightsphere IIPJ with FL36 + E1.

Comments Please :)

It's spot on, but a little warmth would be nice. :)

novello76 said:
thanks for response so far..not very convinced yet..can any other oly users share their expereince so fr?Thanks.

I have invested in the FP-1 bracket and the full accessories because I've seen and tested the results. It ranks with the best. Am using the FL-50.

Hacker said:
I have invested in the FP-1 bracket and the full accessories because I've seen and tested the results. It ranks with the best. Am using the FL-50.
whoa! u have everything my man! you have the batt pack as well? or just the bracket? how's the handling of the bracket?

Oly DSLR WB is pretty much screwed (as of current). using raw in warm lighting is essential in this area.

one way of getting better WB is to lower ISO which in turns up flash power to get better exposure on subjects but sacrificing the background.

to get better lit background is to higher ISO, which lowers the flash power and slower shutter speed but getting more of the warm colours.

conclusion: you are pretty much screwed! :bsmilie: J/king!

the fp-1 bracket is the one that takes 4 C cells rite? How much did the setup cost?

NMSS_2 said:
Oly DSLR WB is pretty much screwed (as of current). using raw in warm lighting is essential in this area.

one way of getting better WB is to lower ISO which in turns up flash power to get better exposure on subjects but sacrificing the background.

to get better lit background is to higher ISO, which lowers the flash power and slower shutter speed but getting more of the warm colours.

conclusion: you are pretty much screwed! :bsmilie: J/king!
haha. i agree with hacker/stephen. the colours that olympus gives are nice. natural. i used to shoot raw but i only shoot jpeg now and prefer jpeg for many reasons. i'm not going to start a raw/jpeg debate here though.

the issue that nmss brought up is common in all systems. flash is always white. ambient indoor lighting is usually not. how u make the best of it is another issue. some pple like it warmer.

wb w/o flash is bang spot on in outdoot daylight shoots. fill-in flash is great outdoors too. with a little play with the compensations harsh shadows can be dealt with easily.

another 2c from me :)

Hacker said:
The flash seems a bit too harsh and gives a flat feel to the faces.

Agree with both of your comment.

I tried again today, with ISO 200. I think is better with powerful flash, otherwise will be too harsh.

KrY0LiT3 said:
whoa! u have everything my man! you have the batt pack as well? or just the bracket? how's the handling of the bracket?

Did not get the batt pack, too heavy. Have not tested the bracket, but the feel is quite nice for indoor off centre flash use.

The FP-1 needs the cable to the camera, the shoe for syncing and I got the remote trigger. Oh, there is the hand grip also.

selamatlzh said:
Agree with both of your comment.

I tried again today, with ISO 200. I think is better with powerful flash, otherwise will be too harsh.

Did you bounce? I used to use a Metz 60CT4 and there is the main head to bounce and the smaller one for fill in.

Also, for situations like this, there should be more ambient light and less flash. The trick is to use a wide angle lens and use a slow shuttle speed. Flash for me is more to correct the color for the clothes, skin, etc.

hammer_400 said:
the fp-1 bracket is the one that takes 4 C cells rite? How much did the setup cost?

They quoted me $465. However, you will need a few more things and it all added up to $776.50 with some discount applied.

Still too expensive, but what to do :(.

WB is extremely accurate and can be too clinical when used indoors.

This is the actual situation as you can see from the light:

PC170397.JPG

This is with WB on Auto:

PC170403.JPG

You would have thought that there is a skylight somewhere coming through the stairs.

Sometimes it is very difficult to correct the Wb thing so I just covert the image to B&W.....and the image looks great.

Sometimes it is very difficult to correct the Wb thing so I just covert the image to B&W.....and the image looks great.

Hacker said:
I got the PJ at CP some time ago for I think $75, but this is the first time I am using it. I also have the Stofen, and it is way to harsh for my liking, since I primarily shoot people (candids). It however, has its use as it covers as wide as 15mm, suitable for my 7-14mm lens.

I have seen a lot of portrait shots in this forum. The "capturing the moment" is never mentioned, just boring discussions on sharpness and lighting. Skin tone for most of the shots look like cadavers in a morgue...seriously :).

I think we need more example of high ceiling shots with flash. eg. convntion centre, church, stage, live performance.

I think that will be interesting.

Low ceiling shots are easier to achieve. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.