Oly 3040 or Nikon 995

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybug

Apr 17, 2002
Visit site
I need advise from the “experts” out here…

I have been looking for a digicam for almost half year. After long hours of surfing the net, I narrowed my choice on 3-megapixal CDs:

Olympus 3040
Nikon 995

My question is to the experts:

1. which model is more suitable for me if I’m only an occasional photobug and just want to take photos for my 3-year-old daughter.
2.Which model is more easy to operate
3.which model is more power consumable

Currently, the price tags at CP are:

Oly 3040 @999 (inc GST)
Nikon @1020 (inc SGT)

Anyone have any comments on the 995 vs 3040 are much appreciated.

it seems to me that u are not an enthusiast.? U mentioned that u require easy functioning and only take photos occasionally, i feel paying that price is kinda high. Why not get a 2.1mp camera with more Point & shoot capabilities then these cameras here? I'm no expert but i was just concerned as to ur needs that's all. Cheers!

from experience, nikon 995 takes great pictures but there's a huge learning curve to take good pictures. I still haven't mastered the camera. also, there are some problems with the auto white balance indoors, so might have to play around with the manual features to get the best pictures.

Originally posted by kylelam77
it seems to me that u are not an enthusiast.? U mentioned that u require easy functioning and only take photos occasionally, i feel paying that price is kinda high. Why not get a 2.1mp camera with more Point & shoot capabilities then these cameras here? I'm no expert but i was just concerned as to ur needs that's all. Cheers!

Agree, if you do not intend to print photo larger than 8R, a 2.1 Megapixel camera will do. You may want to consider getting a smaller camera that you can carry around easily. My recommendation is Canon Ixus 330 selling at $710 at Alan Photo (I think).

I had a Fuji2800z previously and it is a very easy camera to use plus it always deliver good pictures (perform quite badly for nite shots tho). The strong point is that it has 6x optical zoom. Price around $630-650.

With you money you save, you could throw a party for your kid and take pictures during the party ;)

You are really reading my mind. Actually, I’m crazy in getting Oly 2100Z at first. When I approached to CP to commit, I found the size of the DC is much bigger than I was expected. Consider I’m not professional, I gave up this model. For me, a camera to be easily carried around is more important than the optical zoom. Since my budget is around 1,000, I’d better get the Oly 3040/N 995 than Oly 2040.
I need a camera with good night shots.

I think the Canon Ixus 330 can do pretty good nite shots since its max exposure is 15 seconds. Except that it is not 3MP DC. you reall want 3MP then, it think Olympus 3040 will be it.

i will go for C3040 , but not the cp995.
But if u have $200 extra, why not the olympus C-40zoom. small and compact and produce great photo. flash is good too. i brought in CP for $1,200. i have take 450 photo on it already.
i later brought 128 card at alan photo for $80.
the battery charger is from 110 to 240V and 2 pin plug, good for tour. the batteries charged can take up to 40 pic with the monitor on but no flash. most of the pic i take without flash trun out to be very impressive. go for the Olympus.

Oly c3040 lah, imho, better than 995. read all about it in depreview, imaging resource, dcresource, steve.... somehow, i don't like the non-traditional structure of 995, swivel here & there. not used to it.:cool:

one of the advantage of coolpix 995 is that it already comes with the charger and battery so there is less additional cost.

but I really don't recommned it as an easy point and shoot camera. It's more for a techie.

Originally posted by howie
i will go for C3040 , but not the cp995.
But if u have $200 extra, why not the olympus C-40zoom. small and compact and produce great photo. flash is good too. i brought in CP for $1,200. i have take 450 photo on it already.
i later brought 128 card at alan photo for $80.
the battery charger is from 110 to 240V and 2 pin plug, good for tour. the batteries charged can take up to 40 pic with the monitor on but no flash. most of the pic i take without flash trun out to be very impressive. go for the Olympus.

The C-40z is a good choice...full-featured and handy.

If u pefer something more full-bodied, u can try it's big brother with a fast lens, the C-4040z...think abt $1.3K.

oh another thing i noticed is that nikon images seems to be more natural while the other brand's images tend to look nicer but the colours are more unnatural and saturated. look at the galleries in dpreview.com to decide for yourself.

Originally posted by ultramagnus
Oly c3040 lah, imho, better than 995. read all about it in depreview, imaging resource, dcresource, steve.... somehow, i don't like the non-traditional structure of 995, swivel here & there. not used to it.:cool:

hey, man. Better don't draw your conclusion so fast.:p

I don't know about the Oly 3040 but somehow I didn't like the feel of the 995. Its zoom grinds laboriously into place, not smooth at all.

I Just received a quotation from Cathay Photo Store.

Nikon Coolpix 995 @ 930.00

Why the price drop so fast recently

check whether they are still giving the "free" 64 mb cf at nikon singapore. maybe it's because the promotion ended so time to drop the price.

No free 64MB SM this time.
They quoted 64MB @60.00

just to make sure, 995 uses cf and not sm. I hope u just mean storage media. ;)

Well, with the price drop, it sure makes it attractive. But remember, that it's not that easy a camera to use. The outdoor auto is great but the indoor auto needs a bit of work to get it good.

Many thanks Chaotic.

I've made up my mind.

Oh, it's my typo. 64MB CF @ S$ 60 (AT CP)

you're welcome. I hope you will enjoy your new purchase.

Originally posted by ladybug
Many thanks Chaotic.

I've made up my mind.

Oh, it's my typo. 64MB CF @ S$ 60 (AT CP)

lady,

don't buy the CF card from CP, get it from AP.
Get 128mb better.
equote before you buy~!

Status
Not open for further replies.