Older D100 or Newer 10D - Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feinwerkbau

Deregistered
May 11, 2004
Hi friends,

Being new to the DSLR world, I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on this...

Please bear in mind that this was NOT started to cause a NIKON vs CANON war...PEACE!

I really need your honest advise.

BG:

I shoot various subjects, some static, and sometimes can be fast and unpredictable (can change direction quickly within a moderately defined area...like a water-polo game or children running and playing). I shoot outdoors more often, and speed and accuracy is important to me. (autofocus and writing/next-shot or burst-ready).

I am looking at several options, including an older D100 > 1 yr / 15K shutter actuations and a Canon 10D >1 yr / <6K shutter actuations.

Both are around the same price ($1,700) with slightly different packages. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to get intimately acquainted with either.

Based on PERFORMANCE and RELIABILITY, which would you choose?

Appreciate any and all opinions and help.

TIA! ;)

Flip a coin. Both are very capable cameras that produce great pictures in the right hands.

It might boil down to something as simple as how each feels in your hands.

You have asked me about D100....

The only advise I can give is go down to the shop, ask for 10D and D100 if they have, feel it yourself and see how comfortable you are with the control of the camera. Either you can also try D70 and 20D, both should have similar feeling.

Personally the D100 has been with me for 18 months without giving me any problems. Now is in the hand of another CSer. At the end of the day, it still boil down to how you take care of the camera and used it to it's advantages!

Lastly, search your feeling which 1 you likes most ... :sweatsm:

there're a few more choices around the price range to consider (some are not launched yet I think)..... Olympus E300, Pentax *ist DS and Nikon D70. If you're not already heavily invested into any system yet, the Olympus and Pentax offerings are interesting choices.

hard la, alot depends on whether u already have lens from either camp. 1.7k for a d100 isn't really that great either, could almost get a new d70 liao wor. the 10d deal sounds slighty better, but then i do not really know about the details on either deal.

~MooEy~

mpenza said:
there're a few more choices around the price range to consider (some are not launched yet I think)..... Olympus E300, Pentax *ist DS and Nikon D70. If you're not already heavily invested into any system yet, the Olympus and Pentax offerings are interesting choices.

mpenza, will have to disagree with you on this. It is hard to find 2nd hand Olympus or Pentax lenses or accessories, thus the owner might need to spend more $$$ buying new equipment in future. Furthermore, hard to find kaki that use the same system to borrow lenses/accessories to test/shot.

D100 or 10D? hmmm...I kind of like the 10D with grip. Very nice feel (metal built), though I am a Nikon user ;p

Let me add another choice for you, S2 Pro :)

yup, that's one big consideration. it's great being able to share equipment with friends and have a good second hand source for lenses and accessories. The two cameras I mentioned are interesting cos they are significantly lighter and smaller and the manufacturers have introduced brand new digital lenses which seemed to be pretty good quality.

The availability of lenses to fit the shooting style is another important consideration too.... both Nikon and Canon offer more choices than the other manufacturers if I may say so (two main reasons for me going with Canon was the 70-200 F4L and faster launch of a lightweight DSLR under $2k, hate the heavy flash (when compared to the sleeker Nikon ones) though ;p).

considering the shutter count, either get the 10d or a brand new d70 (~$2k)

I do got a 10D with grip+batts selling at $2k w around 2k shuttle counts only. Best of all, I bought it at CP less than 3 month ago! If interested, pls PM me.

popeye said:
go for newest, D70 :D

Ask yourself what does the D70 lacks compared to the other 2, and also, check out what the other 2 has that D70 lacks.

$$$ doesn't seem to be your concern.

Thanks you all for your honest replies! ;)

I'm pretty ok with the 'feel' of many different cameras as I adapt quite well to different makes, models and systems. I may be a little presumptious, but I'm fairly confident that given enough time, I would adapt to any of the options pretty well...with help from well-meaning and better-informed gurus like yourselves! :D

Moolah is a MAJOR concern to me, which is why I can only afford used equipment. Additionally, I have to bear in mind other peoples' experience with different cams and I would have considered the S2Pro, except that I have heard of a few CCD failures, whereas I have yet to hear of any with the D100, 10D and the D70.

More important, my main concerns would be the speed and accuracy of the AF system, speed (shooting, write and going on to the next shot/burst) and durability/dependability of the camera/system.

I'm not a sports photographer, but there are (some) times I need that kind of responsiveness from my camera. I would love to borrow equipment from kakis, but most of my shoots are done 'alone' as my subject matter(s) often require less distraction and some time for photographer-model bonding to occur.

From the responses, I do agree that I am 'leaning' towards the 10D, or a lightly used D70 (if there any for sale...anyone got 'lobang'? :D ) as well as used lenses (I'm used to shooting at the 35mm equivalent of 300 - 500mm, as well as doing moderate to extreme close-ups wide angle.

My question is:

If you did not have the time (like an entire weekend) to get to know each cam model better (a long visit at a photo-store would fall short I'm sure), and had to choose your DSLR from a more academic point of view, what would your criteria be, and why?

p.s. John, thanks for your offer. I have the 10D offered from another with extra batts and a 1G micro D at 1.7K. I'm afraid your offer, while it is a much newer cam, is out of my budget at the moment.

I would go for D70 with the kit lens that covers wide-angle. The warranty would come in useful if anything goes wrong with the camera. But if you want/need a vertical grip, it does not support one.

think about the lenses that you may want to procure in the future. it would be a headache to end up in a situation where you have all the lenses from one brand, while you long for the camera of the other brand. take your time and read around...

Wow, I feel flattered tha a master like sehsuan replied here!

Interesting and most valid point brought up.

Since I can't afford much, and my needs are generally covered with a few lenses only, manufacturers' lens choice wouldn't have too much a bearing on me.

Besides, I could never afford all the lenses I desire. I just need to purchase those that can get the job done for me.

Fast, accurate focusing...great responsiveness...preferable with some sort of IS, VR etc...no need for premium large apeture lenses but they would make life easier. Too bad no moolah wor!

Personally I would have a leaning towards Canon optics (from previous film experience), considering my options. If Zuiko produced a much wider range of lenses...ahh! ;)

But, reality intrudes and chances are I will end up with a OEM wide-to-short tele zoom, and a long zoom from Sigma or Tamron.

eh, no la, what master... i'm master of none... :p

take your time, really. it helps to clear up your mind, and lets you understand better. like my friend said too, when i was carrying my camera EVERYWHERE i went, anyday of the week, he said that it was a sign of a super eager beaver photographer, and up till a point of time, i'll not do it anymore, and will be quite a bit less willing to do the same thing again. similarly, you may want to consider what you're shooting first, as well. i'm not too sure how well the D100's AF-C mode can track moving objects, but i can testify the 10D can do that pretty well, given an equal lens for both cameras.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.