Old Zoom Lens on Nikon D600

blueblood

Oct 21, 2012
West
I used to play with my father's film camera, FM2. After quitting for almost 20 years, I have decided to rekindle my relationship with DSLR.

I've decided to go directly to FF, but a bit nervous due to the great advancement of the photography technology. Currently I'm waiting for a while before jumping into the D600.

Some of my questions :

1. I believe that the old AF 35 - 70 / f 3.3 - 5.6 can be used on the D600. What is its limitation on D600?

2. Should I get the AFS 24 - 85 to get the most of D600?

I was in the same shoes. FM2 with manual or AF-D lenses before making the jump to D700 with a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 AF-D.

There's no limitation with AF-D. In hindsight, I regretted not getting AF-S lenses from the start. They are faster, swifter & comes with VR, opens up lots of low light opportunities not available with older AF lenses and film.

The AFS lenses are obviously more expensive than older AF but they come with ED, Nano coating and other technologies. My older AF-Ds are gone, now are mostly the modern Nikkors.

24-85AFS good starter lens. There are also better AFS zooms out there if u know what u want to shoot

blueblood said:
I used to play with my father's film camera, FM2. After quitting for almost 20 years, I have decided to rekindle my relationship with DSLR.

I've decided to go directly to FF, but a bit nervous due to the great advancement of the photography technology. Currently I'm waiting for a while before jumping into the D600.

Some of my questions :

1. I believe that the old AF 35 - 70 / f 3.3 - 5.6 can be used on the D600. What is its limitation on D600?

2. Should I get the AFS 24 - 85 to get the most of D600?

Hi, yes the 35-70mm f/3.3-5.6 still able works with D600, only the lens IQ not as good as 24-85mm VR and 24-85mm widen end can be reach for 24mm via 35mm really quite tight at all.
If you don't mind and used the 35-70mm 1st and you got time and get 24-85mm for suit your shooting confident.

Last edited:
I was in the same shoes. FM2 with manual or AF-D lenses before making the jump to D700 with a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 AF-D.

Bro FourtyNine, so you have converted from FM2. How was the learning curve? Does it take a long time before you get the most of your D700? The digital technology may take quite a while to get use to it, as FM2 is a manual camera.

So the new AFS lens are faster than the old AF lens.

Hi, yes the 35-70mm f/3.3-5.6 still able works with D600, only the lens IQ not as good as 24-85mm VR and 24-85mm widen end can be reach for 24mm via 35mm really quite tight at all.
If you don't mind and used the 35-70mm 1st and you got time and get 24-85mm for suit your shooting confident.

Bro Rain, I have been looking at your replies and feedbacks on the Nikon posts, learn a lot from them. My old lens has some moulds on it already, not sure is it worth to service it? Any good Nikon service shop to recommand? Otherwise might just get the 24-85mm for my walkabout lens.

One more question, if I'm looking for a tele-zoom lens for animals (eg in the zoo / safari) or birds (eg sungei buloh), which is a good one (not too expensive) ? Is the range 70-200mm sufficient ? Or need at least a 70-300mm ?

Last edited:
blueblood said:
Bro FourtyNine, so you have converted from FM2. How was the learning curve? Does it take a long time before you get the most of your D700? The digital technology may take quite a while to get use to it, as FM2 is a manual camera.

So the new AFS lens are faster than the old AF lens.

Bro Rain, I have been looking at your replies and feedbacks on the Nikon posts, learn a lot from them. My old lens has some moulds on it already, not sure is it worth to service it? Any good Nikon service shop to recommand? Otherwise might just get the 24-85mm for my walkabout lens.

One more question, if I'm looking for a tele-zoom lens for animals (eg in the zoo / safari) or birds (eg sungei buloh), which is a good one (not too expensive) ? Is the range 70-200mm sufficient ? Or need at least a 70-300mm ?

Hi, the 70-300mm VR is a individual lens and cheaper price, if you wanna that focus length can consider for 28-300 VR all in one. Just the price is slightly higher, at lease you can shoot from 28 ~ 300mm Tele distance.

But you can consider the 24-85mm non VR version to be grab 1st & learn to shoot more and later you won't need Telelens again and found some prime lens is more suitable for you.

Cheers.

Hi, the 70-300mm VR is a individual lens and cheaper price, if you wanna that focus length can consider for 28-300 VR all in one. Just the price is slightly higher, at lease you can shoot from 28 ~ 300mm Tele distance.

But you can consider the 24-85mm non VR version to be grab 1st & learn to shoot more and later you won't need Telelens again and found some prime lens is more suitable for you.

Cheers.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't think will be considering the 28 - 300 VR, as the IQ may not be as good as the 24 - 85mm.
Will probably getting the 24-85mm for my learning curve, then consider to get either the 70-300mm, or the prime 300mm for taking distant objects.

BTW, any reputatable service shop to check my old lens ? PM me if not appropriate to post here.

If u can shoot a manual FM2 with manual exposure and focusing, u can shoot any digital camera as they are auto everything. Just set D600 to JPEG and treat it like a point & shoot. There's lots of youtube tutorials on Nikon cameras to get u started and having fun with D600. :)

Only when u start shooting RAW, then the learning curve is steeper. One step at a time