Old Tampines Road

Stingrayangel

Apr 30, 2010
1) In what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I felt that it would be a good combination if my wife stands at the centre of the road with trees and the straight white line forming the backdrop. The TV is 1/5000, Av is f/1.4, exposure compensation is -2/3, ISO speed is 200 and focal length at 35mm using canon prime lens

2) What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I love portraiture photography and had wanted to improve my skill. I hope to show the combination of the road side trees and the lone road with white lines may makes a good background for portraiture photography. I am not sure about how to improve the positioning of my wife to make this photo outstanding. And so hope the senior will help me to correct my shot and angle.

3) Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was driving around looking for something that would caught my eyes and just happened to pass this area when I suddenly had this thought of asking my wife to stand at the middle of the road because I feel that the road look very peaceful and may makes a good backdrop for portraiture photography.

4) what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, I like this picture because of the simple, peaceful background and hopefully would make my wife look stand out from the photo. But I do not know how to improve from here with different angle or better composition. Hope clubsnap members and experienced photographers would help me to improve my skill.

5245958464_8b823e6dea_z.jpg

Hi, to me the abrupt stop of the pattern of the trees at the left side of the road is distracting.
Just my 0.01cents, I'm still a newbie too so yeah. =)

Thks crystal.. I will take note of it.. Now then you tell me, I also couldn't figure it out why NPark Board stopped there without further planting on the left side of it.

Thks crystal.. I will take note of it.. Now then you tell me, I also couldn't figure it out why NPark Board stopped there without further planting on the left side of it.

Oh yes, I spent about 20 mins trying to compose different shots and positions.. because I am not a pro.. this is so far the best that I could come up with.. so I hope someone could point me out where my wife should stand, and where should I position myself to take the shot..

this is only my suggestion.

start with trees on both sides of the frame. (instead of the lamp-post on the left side.)

1) convince your wife to squat down in the mid of the road, compose with the horizon above her head.

2) with your wife standing, you bring the camera as low as possible(can try even putting it on the ground), positioning the horizon below her, as if she is standing on it.

3) using wide angle, your wife to squat down, positioning the horizon below her, as if she is on it.

these may give you different perspectives.

2 cents here.

Last edited:

start with trees on both sides of the frame. (instead of the lamp-post on the left side.)

1) convince your wife to squat down in the mid of the road, compose with the horizon above her head.

2) with your wife standing, you bring the camera as low as possible(can try even putting it on the ground), positioning the horizon below her, as if she is standing on it.

3) using wide angle, your wife to squat down, positioning the horizon below her, as if she is on it.

2 cents here.

Hi Fish,

Thank you very much... :) I will try the angles of positioning you have stated with my wife.. I have wrote it down...

Last edited:
It's actually not bad. I would do some drastic photoshopping if I were you. What I mean is I'd duplicate the scenery on the right side and fix it to the left, abit of minor adjustment so it wont look like an exact copy.

That way you have your symmetry!

On a personal note, I'd prefer a more unique title to your work. Naming it as Old Tampines Road feels like naming my newborn child as boy01.

Hope my comment helps!

If there are no cars, get the subject to pose on the road... go for a lower angle approach.

I would personally use a 24mm or a 85mm for this shot.

It's actually not bad. I would do some drastic photoshopping if I were you. What I mean is I'd duplicate the scenery on the right side and fix it to the left, abit of minor adjustment so it wont look like an exact copy.

That way you have your symmetry!

On a personal note, I'd prefer a more unique title to your work. Naming it as Old Tampines Road feels like naming my newborn child as boy01.

Hope my comment helps!

Hi,

Thks turtle, my photoshop skill not that great.. still learning. Will rem what you say.. Photoshop is a saviour to all photographers... :bigeyes::bigeyes:

If there are no cars, get the subject to pose on the road... go for a lower angle approach.

I would personally use a 24mm or a 85mm for this shot.

Hello senior,

Thks for helping me out.. I only got 35mm f/1.4 at the moment.. Yes I just bought 85mm 1.4 (Sigma).. I have tried using it today for the reshoot suggested by Fish.. Unfortunately, the angle is a bit narrow. When I moved further away, it was fantastic, but my flash power couldn't go further (and I am using 580ex !) and resulted in my wife's not sharp. Anyway, today sun was burning hot..!! Both of us got sunburnt.. I have to use .9 ND Hoya filter to toned down the sky and the brightness while trying to maintain my f/1.4.. after about 2 hours of trial and error finally got the results.. But not sure if it turn out to be nice.. Will do the post processing and repose it on here soon.. and yes I really love 85mm.. I must save more money to buy pocket wizards for that extra off-shoe power shot.. Thks senior, your suggestion is good! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow 2 hours, you sure got a supportive wifey.....

help me tell your wife... kudos to her pls.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hello,

I am a beginner too, so it's only a few suggestions:
When looking at the picture I wasn't sure if the road or the woman was the main subject, I would suggest to get closer from the main subject (either the road or the woman) and use then put the secondary subject in perspective with the first.
As you prefer to focus on the portrait I would suggest to get closer to the woman, and maybe place the eyes at strategic place on the frame (rule of third).
Also maybe when it get darker you can benefit from the public lighting to illuminate the woman face.

Cheers!

wow 2 hours, you sure got a supportive wifey.....

help me tell your wife... kudos to her pls.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ya lor.. I'm not a pro.. becuase I used a .9 ND filter, she's wasn't sharp when captured. Have to redo and reshoot... in between, many uncles' lorries, taxis passed by staring at two roasted pigs... then got one biggest problem.. one white car came along and parked right into the frame I am shooting... Argh.... in the end, I told my wife still carry on and hopefully with my beginner's photoshop skill to wipe the car off.. Going to pose the 3 shots you have recommended...

Hello,

I am a beginner too, so it's only a few suggestions:
When looking at the picture I wasn't sure if the road or the woman was the main subject, I would suggest to get closer from the main subject (either the road or the woman) and use then put the secondary subject in perspective with the first.
As you prefer to focus on the portrait I would suggest to get closer to the woman, and maybe place the eyes at strategic place on the frame (rule of third).
Also maybe when it get darker you can benefit from the public lighting to illuminate the woman face.

Cheers!

Hello eqesg,
thks for your suggestion, I did use the 'rule of third' , but somehow seems a bit weird unless there's two more main subjects in the frame to balance things up.. and you are right! This time, I bring forward my camer towards my wife and the shots look ok to me though, not sure if others like it.. will be reposing now..

2 cents here.

Ok...

First shot..

5256588343_87caf9fe54_z.jpg

Second shot..

5256587919_7ac184e30b_z.jpg

I couldn't lay down any further because the road was too hot.. I got skin burned within secs just lying on the road...

Third shot..

5257199178_bee4f2a2e0_z.jpg

Hope these passed your standard.. Tired and exhausted after these 3 shots.. Now I know to seriously take one shot isn't easy.. Oh yes.. hope nobody could see the car!! But I am happy that I learnt something that day.. Thks everyone for pointing me out!

Last edited:
Ok...

First shot..

5256588343_87caf9fe54_t.jpg

Second shot..

5256587919_7ac184e30b_t.jpg

I couldn't lay down any further because the road was too hot.. I got skin burned within secs just lying on the road...

Third shot..

5257199178_bee4f2a2e0_t.jpg

Hope these passed your standard.. Tired and exhausted after these 3 shots.. Now I know to seriously take one shot isn't easy.. Oh yes.. hope nobody could see the car!! But I am happy that I learnt something that day.. Thks everyone for pointing me out!
Stingrayangel - didn't read the thread until a few mins ago.. Could have given you more things to try..

Fatfish highlighted three possible angle for such shoots.. glad you tried them.. Also glad that you move further down the road.. at least that remove most of the buildings on the left (in the original shot)...

Now, more things for you to try (if you want to).. You have taken the shot during lunchtime.. which is a no-no (especially for protrait shots - human subject).. 1. your wife can hardly open her eyes and 2. direct sunlight on cheeks are not very flattening... You can try again early morning or late afternoon..

What is the purpose of using ND filter in this shot? ND filter is not used to kill off afternoon sun... it is used for long exposure shots to give a cotton light effect on sky/sea and also to give a soft water flow for waterfall shots..

Still want to try the shoot :)

Stingrayangel - didn't read the thread until a few mins ago.. Could have given you more things to try..

Fatfish highlighted three possible angle for such shoots.. glad you tried them.. Also glad that you move further down the road.. at least that remove most of the buildings on the left (in the original shot)...

Now, more things for you to try (if you want to).. You have taken the shot during lunchtime.. which is a no-no (especially for protrait shots - human subject).. 1. your wife can hardly open her eyes and 2. direct sunlight on cheeks are not very flattening... You can try again early morning or late afternoon..

What is the purpose of using ND filter in this shot? ND filter is not used to kill off afternoon sun... it is used for long exposure shots to give a cotton light effect on sky/sea and also to give a soft water flow for waterfall shots..

Still want to try the shoot :)

Hello,

Thks for the advise.. Ya you are right. I actually went there at around 2pm.. Yes my wife couldn't really open her eyes because of the bright sun... Thats what I learnt that day as well... as I was eager to find out the angles suggested by fish... Thank you Clemc.. I must also take note of the day and brightness for shooting.. And yes you r also right.. spent so much money for ND filter is to maximise its uses correctly.. I was actually wanted to go Changi Sailing club to shoot the rock with this ND filter to see the result.. unfortunately, by the time I reached there, the sky doesn't look too good anymore..

Hi ClemC, ND filter can also be used to tame the shutter speed in order to achieve shallower DOF in bright daylight.

Last edited:
Hi ClemC, ND filter can also be used to tame the shutter speed in order to achieve shallower DOF in bright daylight.
Yes .. can be used to "tame".. but tame mildly...:) (I am also assuming you are not talking about taming Bright Sunlight for Protrait taking)

Using a 9-STOP ND?... (if TS meant to say..? .9 or 9?).. CPL can "tame" a bit and you get blue sky as well...

Yes .. can be used to "tame".. but tame mildly...:) (I am also assuming you are not talking about taming Bright Sunlight for Protrait taking)

Using a 9-STOP ND?... (if TS meant to say..? .9 or 9?).. CPL can "tame" a bit and you get blue sky as well...

Yes, taming bright sunlight to achieve very shallow DOF. Some camera fastest shutter speed is 1/4000s and at f/1.4, shutter speed could be beyond the camera ability. So with a nd filter, u can shoot at f/1.4 below 1/4000s. Some even use nd filter for shallow DOF flash photography within the sync speed. Like u said, cpl can tame also...it all depends on how bright is the day.

Technically, TS is nt wrong to use nd filter unless he dunno what he is doing.

Last edited: