Old School Photo Studios

aling

Sep 23, 2010
Hi there,

I have been tasked by MOTHER, for FATHER'S 60TH birthday, to bring him to photo studio to take a family portrait with the WHOLE FAMILY.
This means getting my family (2adults+2kids), brother's family (2adults+1kid) and MOTHER and FATHER = 9pax in all.
BUT she wanted an old school studio to take the photo.....and that stumped me!
I was thinking along the lines of Serangoon Broadway type of studio...may I know if there are similar ones out there, maybe in the Chinatown area?
The photo will be old-school with both of them sitting and the rest standing behind I think.
Thanks to advise.

even the studio will use digital

might as well set it up nicely at home yourself and DIY

so this one call "old school" har??

DSC_5283--rajesh-020711.jpg

Just get one of your friends to use a Rolleiflex TLR or Hasselblad 503CX or CW. Use film to shoot.

so this one call "old school" har??
No, you need rattan chair for matriarch & patriarch, and painted background of some scenery, preferably some place exotic. Like a garden in Europe or something.

Hi there,

I have been tasked by MOTHER, for FATHER'S 60TH birthday, to bring him to photo studio to take a family portrait with the WHOLE FAMILY.
This means getting my family (2adults+2kids), brother's family (2adults+1kid) and MOTHER and FATHER = 9pax in all.
BUT she wanted an old school studio to take the photo.....and that stumped me!
I was thinking along the lines of Serangoon Broadway type of studio...may I know if there are similar ones out there, maybe in the Chinatown area?
The photo will be old-school with both of them sitting and the rest standing behind I think.
Thanks to advise.

Find him: :)

4458635254_943bdb3da2.jpg

Last edited:
2 years ago when I had my family portrait done, I remember them using slide film... Not sure if things have changed.

Was just there a couple of months ago. Saw a Mamiya. Wondered if the photographer might be using a digital back, but he was loading/reloading film every now and then.

From their FAQ:

Do you provide a digital copy of my photos?
As our photographs are taken with film, we are unable to provide a digital copy of your photos. We regret any inconvenience caused.

Why do you not use digital photography?
Based on our years of experience and research, we found that the image quality of digital photographs does not match up to photographs taken by film. Despite the high costs of films, we choose the usage of film photography to fulfil our commitment in providing only the best quality products.

http://www.serangoonbroadway.com/faq/studio-photography/

You can take a look at my studio tho, vintage style but I don't do family or wedding photography, yet any photographer that wan'ts to rent it for the shoot you want to do is always welcome.

http://www.allumecreatiff.com/#!space/c1xot

No they are not.

Digital.

Was there for a family shoot two months ago, they are using film. The only digital thing there is a compact camera, which is set to the same FOV to get a preview of the lighting and composition.

I remember they changed to film to digital, and back to film again a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
FYI, photographers switch from film to digital have a long learning curve, for those who are not computer savvy, will be even worst.

they are so used to the look of the photo printed from film, some time it is much easier just to stick to film than learn about digital capture, digital assent management, color management, post processing, print management etc.
not to mention about investing on all the gears and gadgets also.

Was there for a family shoot two months ago, they are using film. The only digital thing there is a compact camera, which is set to the same FOV to get a preview of the lighting and composition.

Was also doing the same thing back then when shooting film.As was most of the time using 35mm and not
medium format so used a polaroid camera to test lighting setups sync to the lightings in the studio :)

Polaroid camera

Test shot

Actual shot

Last edited:
yes, during the film days, we have Polaroid backs for our Large and Medium format film cameras, take a couple of test shots before we shoot it on trans or neg.

we have 6 roll film backs and two
Polaroid backs for the Mamiya RB67, the roll film backs is 6x7 format 3 pieces and 645 format 3 pieces, so can shoot with transparency film, color negative film and black and white negative film on the same shoot, of course, the two Polaroid backs is loaded with color film, and black and white film.

and that is how we get instant feedback during film days.

yes, during the film days, we have Polaroid backs for our Large and Medium format film cameras, take a couple of test shots before we shoot it on trans or neg.

we have 6 roll film backs and two
Polaroid backs for the Mamiya RB67, the roll film backs is 6x7 format 3 pieces and 645 format 3 pieces, so can shoot with transparency film, color negative film and black and white negative film on the same shoot, of course, the two Polaroid backs is loaded with color film, and black and white film.

and that is how we get instant feedback during film days.

Guess the digital generation had it much more easier and convenient in photography. Image not good just delete but back in our days
we were not that lucky.

Guess the digital generation had it much more easier and convenient in photography. Image not good just delete but back in our days
we were not that lucky.

yeah, digital is so good, can shoot shoot shoot, delete delete delete, shoot shoot shoot, delete delete delete.......

still not as bad as some photographers shoot two three boxes of Polaroid film still don't know what's wrong during our time.

I remember they changed to film to digital, and back to film again a couple of years ago.

Wonder why?

During their film days, their process was so slow that it took them 3 months to deliver a family portrait.

Maybe film is a good excuse not to give out any digital copies? hmmm

Last edited:
Wonder why?

During their film days, their process was so slow that it took them 3 months to deliver a family portrait.

Maybe film is a good excuse not to give out any digital copies? hmmm

wondering nowadays still able to find retourchers do retouching on film or not..