Old man Cycling at Paterson Road

showstoprakesh

Mar 12, 2011

I must keep pedaling!!! by Rakesh Ravikumar, on Flickr

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I am looking to find out How I could improve the composition of this image and if any editing more than what I have done will help it!!

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was trying to portray the flow of his stress in pedaling the bike through the streets at this point of time when even the youngsters prefer cabs or motored rides. And along with it his simplified lifestyle.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was walking with my camera hanging on my neck one afternoon after a small downpour and found this man pedaling towards me crossing the signal diagonally, but I couldn't set my camera to a correct exposure at that time. He was minding none of the vehicles that horned or braked near him as he thought it was his right of way as he is in a bike and others must consider!

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally find this very motivational on subject matter and makes me wanna roam the streets more!

Thanks for your time and all the response you will give!!

I believe you missed the moment. There's not even a vehicle near him to be seen, so the photograph really doesn't tell much of a story.

This fella stays around my neighbourhood.

Back to the photo, i think when we take the rear view of a person, there must be a strong meaning to it. Because rear view does not capture emotions and expressions, so the lack of that means there must be something else to make up for it so that the photo will not seem to lack a little bit of something. So ask yourself, why do u want to capture his back view, is it because u cannot run faster than his bicycle? After all an old man on bicycle might mean alot to you but it might not mean anything to a person from china since there are plenty of such.

I'm not too sure about "missing the moment", since i've seen this fella many times and i'm not too sure there is any moment at all. More like u need to find the right moment. And btw i dun think he is quite that stress, i see him cycle always quite relax one leh.