Old Lenses


Status
Not open for further replies.

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#1
I was figuring a fleasible way for me to get a decent lens, yet not spending too much. My provision for camera expenditure is getting lesser and lesser ( an immediate effect of O levels :( ), and I desperately wants a new lens to supplement my kits lens, the EFS 15-55mm.

By the way, I am using Canon EOS 300D.

So this came to my mind: What about getting those old manual lens (most probably used), get a converter or something (pardon me, I am noob in this field)? I know there might be lost of functionalities, and problems that may arise, but is this fleasible and economical compared to getting a modern Canon mount lens (even if used)?
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#2
It might be helpful to know what lens you wish to buy to supplement your kit lens. By itself, it is actually already a useful piece of equipment, but do you want to replace it with something else, or buy something wider...or longer? What types of photographs are you planning to shoot?

Also, what's your budget? There are plenty of good lenses selling second-hand in the B&S forums, and they don't cost exhorbitant amounts of money. An old manual lens may be cheaper, but you'll need to consider if it'll be enjoyable to use in the long run. Buy something that you're comfortable with, otherwise you won't enjoy the hobby.
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#4
why would you want an old manual lens? :think:

waht range are you lookin for anyway? the kit lens already provides a useful range of 28-90mm equivalent.
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,353
8
38
sing
#5
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
why would you want an old manual lens? :think:

waht range are you lookin for anyway? the kit lens already provides a useful range of 28-90mm equivalent.
I want.
Anyone feels they have no use for their old manual lenses, especially Leica, Hasselbald, Carl Zeiss can pass them to me. Better still if 35mm F1.4 Aspherical or 180mm APO. :bsmilie:
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#8
hehe in the past got ppl sell at $220. now studiolabmaster selling MK1 version for $250. only that daviddino sells at $480:bigeyes:
 

JediForce4ever

Senior Member
Aug 16, 2005
3,157
0
0
Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
#9
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
hehe in the past got ppl sell at $220. now studiolabmaster selling MK1 version for $250. only that daviddino sells at $480:bigeyes:
yeah...but the price is really worth the money...great piece of lens.....:thumbsup:
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,858
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#10
Slivester said:
I was figuring a fleasible way for me to get a decent lens, yet not spending too much. My provision for camera expenditure is getting lesser and lesser ( an immediate effect of O levels :( ), and I desperately wants a new lens to supplement my kits lens, the EFS 15-55mm.

By the way, I am using Canon EOS 300D.

So this came to my mind: What about getting those old manual lens (most probably used), get a converter or something (pardon me, I am noob in this field)? I know there might be lost of functionalities, and problems that may arise, but is this fleasible and economical compared to getting a modern Canon mount lens (even if used)?
depending on which old canon lenses u're referring to. any of the EF-mount lenses can be used on ur 300D. however, if u're referring to the much older FD-mount canon lenses, then u can't use it on a 300D. dunno if there's a FD to EF mount converter tho... also, using manual lenses means u cannot meter from ur lenses.
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#11
nightwolf75 said:
depending on which old canon lenses u're referring to. any of the EF-mount lenses can be used on ur 300D. however, if u're referring to the much older FD-mount canon lenses, then u can't use it on a 300D. dunno if there's a FD to EF mount converter tho... also, using manual lenses means u cannot meter from ur lenses.
Oh alright, thats something I learned now. :) I saw some online store selling FD-EF converter - out of my budget, and like what you mentioned, FD work so much differently.

I was thinking of getting a lens with further range, like a 70-300 kind, and also I am very interested to start portrait photography. This second lens I am getting will most likely a supplement, as said before; I will use my kit lens for primary uses.
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#12
I have this vague uncertain query lingering in my head: Manual lens such Canon's FD mounts have sort of an entire different mount, and I read that the diameter of the mount is much smaller. So is it worth it?

So maybe FD is off my list, I don't want to spend so much on learning or on a converter just to get an used lens to work, and to at last realise I could be suffering, as what fWord said.

My budget is probably around $100 to $200 for a start. I may be picking up a job or 2 in December.

Anyway guys, thanks for those new concepts and advices. :)
 

tingchiyen

New Member
Jan 28, 2004
295
0
0
40
Central
#14
There're FD-EF convertors, but you lose all metering capability, and of course, it's not autofocus. You also lose 1 f/stop, if i'm not wrong... FD lenses are also NOT cheap, contrary to belief, nor are they easy to find. Go get some cheap EF lenses instead. Or, you can go find some compatible sigma or tokina lenses.
 

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
1,028
0
0
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
#15
tingchiyen said:
There're FD-EF convertors, but you lose all metering capability, and of course, it's not autofocus. You also lose 1 f/stop, if i'm not wrong... FD lenses are also NOT cheap, contrary to belief, nor are they easy to find. Go get some cheap EF lenses instead. Or, you can go find some compatible sigma or tokina lenses.
Hey thank you for that advice, and yeah like I said before, I came to realise its not too economical anyway hehe.

And so I am looking for second-hand EF mount lens for now. :)
 

user111

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
4,702
0
36
#18
get a prime

100 f2 USM :thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom