Old lense new body

Status
Not open for further replies.

John E

Oct 5, 2008
I dug out my old lense Carl Zeisse f1.4 50mm and mount into a new DSLR body, with adapter it works! After 18 years in dry cabinet, it is still crystal clear.

I am not sure what are the limitation to this.

Auto focus off, no problem with manual focus. I set the camera in Manual mode, aperture, can set from the lense, exposure and ISO, manually set for every shot. Picture turn out really nice.

I wonder what are better way to do this..but if I have to set manual, set Aperture, ISO, speed in every shot would be cumbersome. If no choice, I would just have to live with it and enjoy the good old days style.

Appreciate if anyone can advise.

:D:D

Erm, what's wrong with Manual mode? The settings should not reset once you've set them...so I'm not sure what you mean :think:

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Actually nothing wrong with manual mode. I am just wondering whether I need to re-set every time the situation change. Quite a big task to reset the Apr, ISO and Speed. Or is there a fix setting for all situations.

Thanks

I have a 22-year old Minolta that works perfectly... I'd be surprised if your lens has issues.

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Actually nothing wrong with manual mode. I am just wondering whether I need to re-set every time the situation change. Quite a big task to reset the Apr, ISO and Speed. Or is there a fix setting for all situations.

Thanks

The settings you dialled in never changes...whether they need to change or not depends on what you are trying to achieve, but the don't change unless you want or need to. Those changes depends on you and your light meter.

I'm not sure what camera you put it on, but old manual lenses on a EOS DSLR can be used in manual as well as aperture priority mode (usually, with exp compensation).

Hi thanks for the replies.

I just wonder what settting I should put when I mount the lense into a DSLR (Canon 450D).

Is it Aperture Priority or Manual?

After the above the setting is done e.g Aperture Pr, is the exposure, speed all in auto mode or must I set them.

Thanks

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

just use the Aperture Priority mode..and base on the aperture you selected, the camera will automatically select the shutter speed.....compose, stopped it down to your desired aperture and click.......if you want to sell your CZ...pm me pls...

I have a 30 yr old Pentax 85mm F1.8 that has remained crystal clear when the rest in the same dry box has fungus growing. Dun think any other lens can be mine in age.

Aperture priority dun need to reset. Manual everytime you need to do it manually.

I have a 30 yr old Pentax 85mm F1.8 that has remained crystal clear when the rest in the same dry box has fungus growing. Dun think any other lens can be mine in age.

I have a 7.5mm FishEye that might be just as old! It even has internal, switchable color filters for the BW days... :D

Thanks very much. Appreciate your advice. Will play with it.

Bolbolito, thanks for your offer to buy, but this one got sentimental value. No hard feelings. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.