old lens vs new lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
asking a general and rather individual question,
if you had a lens in the new market for ard 550, where else a used lens in B&S section is $450, the difference is like eq to a price of a warranty card.

are you still confortable to get the used lens? or rather 100 more to get a new one for the sake of the warranty coverage?

I always prefer new... even though price will be big different for some lens, i will wait, set my budget, save then go for new.....

very true, i agreed with mumson, but for the extra $100 and after checking up Tamron svc center is far far away from me..
but the $100 make some impact :)

In your scenario, the price difference is not great. However, I have bought used lenses and shaved off a good $200-300 off some lenses. You can even get up to $500 off with a lens in good condition, that is optically sound. It's just how much of a risk you want to take, and how good you are with checking lenses, plus how comfortable you are with using something used before by someone else.

And sometimes its whether the lens you want is available or not. Like when the 80-200mm L popped out at B&S, i know its out of production and that you dont get too many people letting go of it, then you buy old.

But then again there is no 'new' 80-200mm/2.8L anymore. ;p

Depends on the condition and if the product is hard to find in Singapore.

If the diff is only $100 buck, better to buy new as
(1) Warranty for safe piece of mind (w/o u pay more if the lens break dwn)
(2) Can choose from several pieces of the same lens @ the shop, get the best copy

Hi, out of my nine lens, only 1 is brand new from the shop.
In the used market, its more about trust and how rare the lens is.

If the diff is only $100 buck, better to buy new as
(1) Warranty for safe piece of mind (w/o u pay more if the lens break dwn)
(2) Can choose from several pieces of the same lens @ the shop, get the best copy

Agree with grazer that buying a brand new piece of lens is more worth if the price difference isn't that great. I bought a used copy of lens without warranty, n after a while it had a problem so I sent it in for servicing. The total cost for change of parts cost 300 bucks. End up the price like buying new copy.

Sometimes if u buy a used copy, and found out to have front/rear focusing issue, just performing the calibration cost $60 before Gst.

The pricing is quite subjective. In this case, for $100 difference, I would go for the new one instead. However, if say a 50mm f1.8D new costs about $190, and a used one costs $90 ($100 difference), I'd get it immediately, assuming it's in good condition and working well. In your case, I'd say, maybe get the new one. At least you know it hasn't been through any knocks/drops and stuff. =)

If you buy from one of the recommended shops, they'll usually give you 7 days to exchange a lens if you find that it's a bad copy. Plus, its a physical store so less likely they would skip out on you and you know where they are. :)

But it's all relative to what your needs are. Good luck shopping!

alike others who have replied, i'd say it depends on the price difference. if im saving only around $100, then i would go for the new one. if it's like $200-$300 or more, then its definitely worth considering. of course u have to do careful checks and ensure that you don't get ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.