Old Flash

alwaysjerricky

Mar 30, 2013
+65
Hi CSers,

I have a starblitz 3600 DFC flash in working condition. I was wondering if it could be used together with my canon 550d. Will it fry my camera? Thanks!

A quick search revealed this:
Powershot Posts
It lists trigger voltage at 4.35V, which is safe for modern DSLRs, IF it is correct. You can (and SHOULD) test it yourself if you can get hold of a multimeter (or any form of voltmeter -- should be a high-impedance device to be on the safe side).
Older flashes had high trigger voltages in the 100s of volts which would fry modern DSLR circuits (in theory)

A quick search revealed this: Powershot Posts It lists trigger voltage at 4.35V, which is safe for modern DSLRs, IF it is correct. You can (and SHOULD) test it yourself if you can get hold of a multimeter (or any form of voltmeter -- should be a high-impedance device to be on the safe side). Older flashes had high trigger voltages in the 100s of volts which would fry modern DSLR circuits (in theory)

Ok thank you for your help! Will check!

usually only flash build for the FULLY MANUAL film camera in the 70s has high trigger voltage.
modern Dedicated flash with TTL function are generally safe to use.

usually only flash build for the FULLY MANUAL film camera in the 70s has high trigger voltage. modern Dedicated flash with TTL function are generally safe to use.

Thanks! Got it!