Old film SLR what will happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-diddy

Nov 27, 2006
what do you think will happen to those film SLR cameras.. like nikon F6 the and canon EOS series. are people still going to use them...?? in another 5 or 10 years do stores still going to sell film rolls..?? whats the future for old conventional film SLR...
i remember the first time i bought a nikon f60, i was so happy i hardly couln't sleep, coz i save my money for almost 2 years to get that cam even though i bought a used one still it was rewarding. now that i have own a DSLR i also feel sad for the future of old SLR.

what do you think will happen to those film SLR cameras.. like nikon F6 the and canon EOS series. are people still going to use them...?? in another 5 or 10 years do stores still going to sell film rolls..?? whats the future for old conventional film SLR...
i remember the first time i bought a nikon f60, i was so happy i hardly couln't sleep, coz i save my money for almost 2 years to get that cam even though i bought a used one still it was rewarding. now that i have own a DSLR i also feel sad for the future of old SLR.

There will still be users, but I guess there will be much less as time goes by due to the high cost of developing and film...

I would go back to film one of these days too... ;)

Chemicals are getting hard to come by these days. Getting expensive too. It would be sad to see film die but it would most likely be relegated to the 'art' side, like how photography superseded painting as a medium when photography was first invented. =|

Nevertheless, the will still be groups of people partaking in shooting film. Hehe.

What is happening to the medium formats? They are still alive and kicking!! Yeah!

Film won't die off so soon lah.
Many of the photo studios where you take your wedding/family/graduation portraits are still using medium format film cameras and from the looks of it, these folks are not converting to digital in the near future, so there will still be labs around that will process film.

There will still be users, but I guess there will be much less as time goes by due to the high cost of developing and film...

I would go back to film one of these days too... ;)

Actually before i switched to Digital i wanted to learn how to developed films... start my own darkroom.... well i guess its just going to be a dream :(

Film won't die off so soon lah.
Many of the photo studios where you take your wedding/family/graduation portraits are still using medium format film cameras and from the looks of it, these folks are not converting to digital in the near future, so there will still be labs around that will process film.

all i know is some film manufaturer are stop producing.. i think its just a matter of time when we need to buy a roll of film we have to buy from a vintage shop.... and teh price also will be sky high.

why worry mate, enjoy while it lasts and cherish the memories after its gone.

for within the next 20 years film will still be around in small amounts, production of existing film bodies will slow to a halt. then you will hear announcements like - "CANON japan has officially halted the production of EOS 1v, etc..." then those existing film bodies will either be worthless or end up in museum or in other parts of the world where they auction it off at high prices to rich collectors

for the next 200 years..film bodies like EOS 1v will be briefly mentioned in textbooks. no surviving copy of an actual EOS 1v will be around.

for the next 2000 years..dunno. maybe cameras will ceast to exist?? replaced by dunno whatever high tech stuff

What is happening to the medium formats? They are still alive and kicking!! Yeah!
Not for long I'm afraid. A couple of studio photographers that I know overseas are slowly but surely selling off their medium format film equipment and very slowly switching to digital backs. I guess that's why one can find medium format stuff going pretty cheaply on eBay nowadays because for the working pro, time is money and the digital workflow is definitely faster. However the only negative so far are the high cost involved.

well if there is a passion, it will never die..

Even digital camera and film camera have same output, a photo.
but the path is really quite different.. i like mechanical camera, and i get cheap rangefinder and use it, i like their nice looking and clever design, that last for many years. i like the way of taking photo without anxiety to check the photo and delete and retake again.. i like to see my photo appearing on paper in a darkroom..i like darkroom instead of a imac..

If my purpose is just take to take a casual photo to show people, i will go for Digital camera.
But to me, film camera is really different with digital camera, ya the output is same..but sometimes.. it is not like taking picture anymore, more like 'image collecting'..

but how many ppl really love to take photo in those film SLR days? guess digital have explored an area that most people can take photo in the way they want it..

but why u still bike? when there is motorbike, car, bus..
why u still paint..when u can draw in photoshop..
why u still write letter, when u can email..

it is real passions, i guess..

I may switch again to film camera if they make a self processing film like polaroid one :bsmilie: .

I feel film are just more reliable and robust.

Regards,
Arto.

Technology changes and improves even as we are discussing about this topic.
Thou, some will continue to believe that digital will never surpassed film quality...but I am sure, in the next 1-2 years....it could just be on par.

The convenience of digital shooting and printing is just so hard to resist.
If the quality becomes the same, who wouldnt want to go digital?

Technology changes and improves even as we are discussing about this topic.
Thou, some will continue to believe that digital will never surpassed film quality...but I am sure, in the next 1-2 years....it could just be on par.

The convenience of digital shooting and printing is just so hard to resist.
If the quality becomes the same, who wouldnt want to go digital?
IMO, technically it has already surpassed most consumer 35mm film. That's why I get a little agitated when people complain about sensor noise for ISO1600 shots, just need to shoot a roll of ISO1600 and it's not difficult to see that digital gives a much better image technically for 35mm format.

And there's no need for film die hards to tell me that film grain is different, there's a more artistic feel.. yes, I know all those. But technically, I think it is undisputable that at high ISO (above ISO400), digital has surpassed film for 35mm format photography, even for cropped frame sensors.

IMO, technically it has already surpassed most consumer 35mm film. That's why I get a little agitated when people complain about sensor noise for ISO1600 shots, just need to shoot a roll of ISO1600 and it's not difficult to see that digital gives a much better image technically for 35mm format.

And there's no need for film die hards to tell me that film grain is different, there's a more artistic feel.. yes, I know all those. But technically, I think it is undisputable that at high ISO (above ISO400), digital has surpassed film for 35mm format photography, even for cropped frame sensors.
It might be improve, but maybe quality downgrade (in acceptable level) also in order to get the cheapest advanced technology for mass production.

Regards,
Arto.

It might be improve, but maybe quality downgrade (in acceptable level) also in order to get the cheapest advanced technology for mass production.

Regards,
Arto.
Is that why the prices of D200 has dropped so much? ;p

why worry mate, enjoy while it lasts and cherish the memories after its gone.

Too right, mate. When I was a teenager in the early 90s, I drooled over the Olympus IS-3000. It was like, soooooo cool, man! :lovegrin: But alas, @ almost 2000 bucks, there was no way I could afford it. :cry: Now, more than a decade on, I managed to score myself a 2nd hand piece. Very, very happy. Loaded it up with Sensia and the feeling is just so different from DSLR shooting! :D

But yeah, eventually it's going to be purely niche (isn't it already). Only a few places sell slide films now.

Status
Not open for further replies.