Old External Flash (Manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steplim

May 11, 2005
One North
Hello

I have problem with flash recharge rate for continuous shots when I cover events.
One alternative is to use a better recharge-rate rechargable battery like enelope.

My friend recently passed me a old external flash with external battery pack. (it is very heavy). This flash is manual flash (wth one contact) as compared with Canon hot-shoes with 5 contacts.

My questions are:

1) Can I use this on 300D/30D but in Manual mode?
2) Will this flash cause long term probelm to my DSLR
e.g. incompactibility
3) What other problems?

thanks much!:)

if the trigger voltage of the flash is too high, it may deep fry your camera. if it is border line case, it may have some adverse effect on your camera. you might want to see this site

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Thanks Dennis :)
I am a little worry about adverse effect too. I will check. thanks.:)

Just found out that the brand is Metz 60CT4 and is having the trigger voltage of 5V and is EOS safe. thanks

#1, you want fast recharge rate should consider using batteries with high mAh, like 2700 mAh, not enelope batteries.

#2, You also can use a battery pack for your canon flash, it will help you on the recharge rate and capacity.

#3, without know what old flash unit and the battery pack you are talking about, the Made and Model, can't give you suggestion on it.

Thanks Dennis :)
I am a little worry about adverse effect too. I will check. thanks.:)

Just found out that the brand is Metz 60CT4 and is having the trigger voltage of 5V and is EOS safe. thanks

This is not a "manual", but an automatic flash.

I have a manual flash, a Suntax. Works very well on my 400D but a little bit underpowered. :)

Thanks catchlights, LittleWolf, ditikolon for your reply and advise.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.