Old European charm in S'pore


Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2005
512
0
0
#1
Sorry guys, just trying out how to get Pic pasted onto forum page.
As the saying goes, "Never try, never know" right?






Just took this pic on a casual walk around town. Like the light falling onto the spire of the tower.Can't help but to give me the feel as though I am in Europe except for the heat and the humidity:(

By the way, Comments good or bad, Just Shoot
 

kitkat

New Member
Mar 5, 2005
568
0
0
#2
NE clicks clicks said:
Sorry guys, just trying out how to get Pic pasted onto forum page.
As the saying goes, "Never try, never know" right?






Just took this pic on a casual walk around town. Like the light falling onto the spire of the tower.Can help but to give me the feel as though I am in Europe except for the heat and the humidity:(

By the way, Comments good or bad, Just Shoot

Nice feeling ... yellowish tint. Where is this place ?
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
#4
there are two major and conflicting points of interest in this picture, the lamppost and the building. both are fighting for my attention, seriously.

sometimes, giving equal 'status' helps in a picture, but in this case, it just serve as a distraction for me, personally. perhaps a re-composition might give a more 'pleasing' result.

to nitpick..there is barrel distortion and the perspective makes the building 'fall' backwards. we are always hindered by 'technical' limitations such as lens quality and availability of 'the nicest possible angle', but try not to 'highlight' such limitations. in this particular case..i just find the angle makes it 'not-here-not-there', it only serves to highlight the 'technical' limitations even more. explore the angles even more next time...i'm sure a 'winner' will show up :)

i do like the way the sunlight falls on the tower. nice timing and capture, great eye for spotting it!:thumbsup:

my two cents...not enough cash in my pocket :sweat:
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#5
I won't comment on the photo per se since this isn't the place for it... however its an interesting combination that does look foreign indeed. Nice observation!
 

Dec 5, 2005
512
0
0
#7
Stereobox said:
there are two major and conflicting points of interest in this picture, the lamppost and the building. both are fighting for my attention, seriously.

sometimes, giving equal 'status' helps in a picture, but in this case, it just serve as a distraction for me, personally. perhaps a re-composition might give a more 'pleasing' result.

to nitpick..there is barrel distortion and the perspective makes the building 'fall' backwards. we are always hindered by 'technical' limitations such as lens quality and availability of 'the nicest possible angle', but try not to 'highlight' such limitations. in this particular case..i just find the angle makes it 'not-here-not-there', it only serves to highlight the 'technical' limitations even more. explore the angles even more next time...i'm sure a 'winner' will show up :)

i do like the way the sunlight falls on the tower. nice timing and capture, great eye for spotting it!:thumbsup:

my two cents...not enough cash in my pocket :sweat:

Thanks Stereobox, for the detailed pointers, will keep them in mind when I go phototaking in the future. Especially so when I shoot buildins and structures. Cheers
Glad you like those light falling on the tower.
 

Dec 5, 2005
512
0
0
#8
solarii said:
I won't comment on the photo per se since this isn't the place for it... however its an interesting combination that does look foreign indeed. Nice observation!
Its ok to comment, friend...... I keep an open mind to others idea, than i can see if there anything I can improve on . Cheers
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#10
NE clicks clicks said:
Its ok to comment, friend...... I keep an open mind to others idea, than i can see if there anything I can improve on . Cheers
Thats not what I meant. Photo critiques/comments should be posted under the critique corner. This isn't the thread for it.
 

Dec 5, 2005
512
0
0
#12
schon said:
your photo did succeed in giving me the old european feel... :) nice.
Thanks, schon. That's actually what I saw in the tower and lampost combo.
 

zoossh

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2005
8,725
0
0
Singapore
#13
Stereobox said:
there are two major and conflicting points of interest in this picture, the lamppost and the building. both are fighting for my attention, seriously.

sometimes, giving equal 'status' helps in a picture, but in this case, it just serve as a distraction for me, personally. perhaps a re-composition might give a more 'pleasing' result.

to nitpick..there is barrel distortion and the perspective makes the building 'fall' backwards. we are always hindered by 'technical' limitations such as lens quality and availability of 'the nicest possible angle', but try not to 'highlight' such limitations. in this particular case..i just find the angle makes it 'not-here-not-there', it only serves to highlight the 'technical' limitations even more. explore the angles even more next time...i'm sure a 'winner' will show up :)

i do like the way the sunlight falls on the tower. nice timing and capture, great eye for spotting it!:thumbsup:

my two cents...not enough cash in my pocket :sweat:
on the contrary, i held slightly different opinion.

1. i thought if the lamp is to be separated from the building, or that they are taken without each other, it will make the picture less compelling and more boring.

2. the fall-back perspective of the building works for her, or are acceptable to me, except that the picture is indeed still tilted to one side, as even the lamppost is tilted backards.
 

Dec 5, 2005
512
0
0
#14
zoossh said:
on the contrary, i held slightly different opinion.

1. i thought if the lamp is to be separated from the building, or that they are taken without each other, it will make the picture less compelling and more boring.

2. the fall-back perspective of the building works for her, or are acceptable to me, except that the picture is indeed still tilted to one side, as even the lamppost is tilted backards.
I agreed with you on point 1, I have intentionally took the Lamp and the Tower together to project the old European feel, without which, I think i'll not project that kind of feel.
I believe for any pic. whether two subjects compliment each other or fights for attention depends very much on what one wants to their picture to tell.

Not too sure about point 2, mind elaborating further. Thanks
 

AngelZhou

New Member
Jul 12, 2005
1,415
0
0
30
HoUgaNg (Any stalker? lol)
#15
Perspective wise - i dont think it's work. Seems sengek. The perspective somehow looks wrong instead of being creative.

Composition between the lamp and the church - i think there is a better angle to compose it. Right now it seems like fights for attention instead of complementing each other. Perhaps you can consider to put some space inbetween. For sure this composition doesnt work on me.

However i do love the tone. Somehow give me very nice feeling.
 

zoossh

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2005
8,725
0
0
Singapore
#16
NE clicks clicks said:
I agreed with you on point 1, I have intentionally took the Lamp and the Tower together to project the old European feel, without which, I think i'll not project that kind of feel.
I believe for any pic. whether two subjects compliment each other or fights for attention depends very much on what one wants to their picture to tell.

Not too sure about point 2, mind elaborating further. Thanks
both the lamp and the building both lean backwards to the left, so whole pic looks tilted to the left.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom