Old Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
I have a 45 years old box camera Shanghai model 4 上海四型 in my store room. Took it out this morning. The shutter seems working but not sure whether it is accurate. The two lenses are covered with some stains. Don't know whether it is fungus or dirt. I dare not clean it.

Any idea where I can send it for some cleaning or servicing?

TCW at pennisula or can send to another cser called fatigue.Very popular amongs cs for his repair skills

I'm not sure if it's worth spending $$$ on this old 6cmX6cm camera.

Suggest you clean it up and use it as a display item.

Yes. Intend to keep it as a display item but need to clean the lenses or it looks awful. Looks like I have to take the risk and do the cleaning myself.

I am receiving my Dry Cabinet soon, wonder whether it is safe to put this old camera together with my newly acquired D40 in the dry cabinet. Or I have to clean and 'quarantine' it first?

Or I have to clean and 'quarantine' it first?

Is the old cam sneezing? :bsmilie:
Jokes aside, I don't see any issue putting both cams in the dry cabinet. Fungus is airborne and the spores are already at your D40, accept the fact. The dry cabinet is to prevent growth - and in return it could slow down whatever fungus is on the old cam. As long as the old cam is not overgrown with cobwebs I don't see any issue here. But get it cleaned asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.