UK
Visit site
Final, properly edited set of pics:

web01.jpg

web12a.jpg

web13.jpg

web29.jpg

web31.jpg

Having tried to shoot crows (with a D30, not a shotgun), and getting maybe 2-3 good shots out of about 200, I can appreciate how difficult it is to do what you've done. Maybe if I had a 1D...

It's fun, though, almost like hunting, except nobody gets hurt.

Good stuff.

One thing about smaller birds is that I can't (at normal shutter speeds), freeze action... theres always some motion blur. Looking at your shots, I'm wondering what sort of shutter speed you're shooting at? Ducks at 1/2000 and Geese and 1/1000 or something like that?

I suppose dialing up the ISO to gain another stop of shutter speed has its advantages. The 2nd shot here was taken at a very humble 1/500 :)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=103083#post103083

think this week see alot of duck photos...

Edwin,

A lot of mine aren't actually frozen! My standard minimum is 1/500, but that's an absolute and frankly, I'd rather not if I can help it. Thing is, my own shooting habit stubbornly refuses to let me shoot on shutter priority, so I always am in aperture priority, wide open or one stop down (one stop down to hide focusing errors with the 400 cause the DOF is stupid), with one eye on shutter speed and one eye on the ISO. Usually, I am for an ISO that will give me 1/500 in the shade, and whatever it turns out to be in the light/against the sky. Usually that does hit 1/2000, but some of this lot of shots were taken at not much over 1/500. If you really want to know the specifics, tell me which one and I can dig up the originals and pull the EXIF information for you.

Originally posted by Jed
Edwin,

A lot of mine aren't actually frozen! My standard minimum is 1/500, but that's an absolute and frankly, I'd rather not if I can help it. Thing is, my own shooting habit stubbornly refuses to let me shoot on shutter priority, so I always am in aperture priority, wide open or one stop down (one stop down to hide focusing errors with the 400 cause the DOF is stupid), with one eye on shutter speed and one eye on the ISO. Usually, I am for an ISO that will give me 1/500 in the shade, and whatever it turns out to be in the light/against the sky. Usually that does hit 1/2000, but some of this lot of shots were taken at not much over 1/500. If you really want to know the specifics, tell me which one and I can dig up the originals and pull the EXIF information for you.

i see...my stubborn shooting habbit only leaves me in manual haha.
thanks for the info man.

Hi Jed,

web10.jpg and web12.jpg seem reasonably well frozen? (on another posting, but maybe better to maintain this thread...) Between 1/1000 to 1/2000? The EXIF would be nice....

Originally posted by Jed
Edwin,

Hmm... web10 I've pulled up and it's shot at 1/500. Web12 looks blurred to me (a pair of greylag flying into the distance; wingtips are blur).

Hey Jed, brillian. Do you have to wait quite a while before you can capture such marvelous shots. Kind of newbie question, wondering what is the effort required?

Not that long, I've been lucky enough to have this Wildfowl Trust near me, which helps. And also the nesting moorhen and mallards, and I've staked that pond out about five afternoons now. The other stuff doesn't take a huge amount of time, a bit of patience; this lot (as in all the current duck threads) has been accumulated with maybe 4 hours of shooting time in total, less the time spent on the nesting moorhen and toad-fishing mallards.

Status
Not open for further replies.