Okay okay, last "What notebook to buy" question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hi, this is probably my third thread about laptops, so I'll really try to get it settled by this thread. Basically, I've been juggling the idea of saving up for a laptop or more camera gear, but then my JC just started and I think a laptop will benefit me.

Here are sticky- questions from notebookreview.com forums, and my answers.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Anything S$2k and below (shouldn't even go near 2k if possible). About USD 1.3k

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

B, C or D.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No preference. Why does everyone not like dell?

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Office work. Photograph-editing (Adobe LR2 / Photoshop). Surfing / Online social sites. Bit of gaming (older games like CS Source)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Bit of both, more towards being mobile, so I'd think batt life and portability is a key concern.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?

Yes (but very seldomly I think). CS-Source will be the most graphics intensive. It's a 2005 engine game.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not too sure. As much as possible within my budget, really.

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'll probably be purchasing it during the IT Show '09.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows only please.

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

a. WXGA – 1280x800 or occasionally 1280x768; For people who like big text and icons that are easy to read. Less stuff fits on the screen, which translates into more scrolling.
b. WXGA+ – 1440x900; A modest bump over WXGA. Text and icons are a bit smaller. A little more stuff fits on the screen.
c. WSXGA+ – 1680x1050; The middle ground. Again, text and icons are smaller than WXGA+, and more stuff fits onto the screen. Good for having applications open side by side, like a web browser while playing a video.
d. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Very small text and icons, that can be hard to read. Lots of stuff fits on the screen, which means less scrolling. Good for applications that require a high level of detail like CAD or Photo Editing.

*** You tell me. I have no idea what's going on.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Either is okay with me.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not in the least.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

March's IT Show '09 @ Suntec, and last at least 2 years without having to upgrade again (or repair here and there)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive
?

250GB / 320GB should be more than sufficient. SSD's are too ex imo.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Definitely

-----

My eyes are set on the HP DV4:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/sg/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3747826-3818262.html

But it's so expensive (S$2k).

Also, I like how the Dell Studio 14 / 15 notebooks look and how they perform on paper.

Why is it that lots of people here don't like Dell in general, though?

Cheers,
Zexun

Last edited:
Dude,

the choice is really personal. Just like getting a camera :D

In the past I had a 14.1" notebook and I carried it around with me all the time.
Then I hated it because of the weight and size.

now i use a 12.1" with no CDROm but longlife battery, which is probablyonly 60% of the weight of the previous one but I still find it heavy.

So you hv to try and see which works for you.

is there any e-learning via the labtop if not, then no point in buying if is just use for microsoft office only.
once you move up to a uni, you will have the need to upgrade again.

Hi, this is probably my third thread about laptops, so I'll really try to get it settled by this thread. Basically, I've been juggling the idea of saving up for a laptop or more camera gear, but then my JC just started and I think a laptop will benefit me.

Cheers,
Zexun
boy, it's such a boring thread ....
buying laptops now is different from last time .... it's basically much cheaper and more affordable now.

Just decide on the size, and your budget ... all of the available models are capable machines.:bsmilie::sweatsm:

hopefully you wont be starting your fourth thread on this!

MacBook.

You mentioned photo editing and long battery life.

For long battery life, make sure you get the newest Intel processor i.e. the Centrino 2. These use much less power. The processor model numbers start with a "P" e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600. The older ones start with a "T". Unfortunately, there aren't many laptops using this newer processor.

For photo editing, get a fast processor and lots of RAM.

You can consider a dedicated graphics card instead of the usual integrated ones but I think it's not really necessary for the stuff that you want to use the laptop for.

Regarding the screen type, note that a glossy screen generally looks better. The colour is more vibrant and the image is more crisp. On the other hand, you will get a "reflection problem" i.e. it is very reflective. The reflections in the screen can be very irritating depending on where the screen is facing.

Buy & configure a laptop according to what you want to use it for. This should be the most important consideration in your selection.

As to why people don't like Dell in general, I can only say that I'm not one of them. I'm using a Dell and I have no complaints. Actually, I like Dell's after sales service. Their support has been very good. I had a problem once and they helped me solve it via online chat. At other times, I've asked for drivers and other techinical clarifications and they were very helpful.

Just get a Macbook.
You'll never regret it. . . Ever !

Hey Zexun,

Maybe you should start a poll.
What brand of laptop should i get???

Apple
Hp/Compaq
Asus
Acer
Fujitsu
Sony

And the list goes on.

Cheers,
JD

Eh? I don't know why I'd buy a macbook when other windows laptops should serve me just as well, right?

There's no E-learning in my JC I think, but there's project work and all that stuff, and while there really isn't a *need* for a laptop, I said that it'll certainly help what I do.

The New 13" Macbook.. Worth it?

2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB DDR2 Memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
* Standard keyboard
* White polycarbonate shell

I must be very "chin-chye" or simply IT-ignorant. :dunno:

I did'nt consider the above 16 points when I just went ahead to buy my first iBook a few years ago.

Yeah,
The specs may seem inferior to other Win Machines, but that's the good thing about Mac OSX.
Its not system resource hungry like Vista. My macbook has lower specs that but takes only 20 odd secs to startup. To me that's fast. Multiple apps don't slow down the machine.
Anyway since you have a Win desktop at home. Might as well try out a Mac.
Get it under the educational scheme and it'll definitely be worth it.
Plus good for photo editing too.
Just needs a getting used to. .

How the hell do you afford a notebook as a jc student??? you must be rich.

wait wait wait.

The new macbook non-pro has a video card that can be used for gaming?!

and it's 2.4ghz aluminum body set is sold for 2.4k?!

Dude I'm sold.

wait wait wait.

Dude I'm sold.

Welcome to the :devil:Darkside:devil:. . . Ha ha ha!

wait wait wait.

Dude I'm sold.
Let me be the spoiler here...

2.4k is no small sum of money. Frankly I would rather get something much cheaper, which does the job just as well too, and save up the rest of the $.

Maybe you could consider going the 2nd hand route as well?

wait wait wait.

Dude I'm sold.
actually the $1.5k one also has the same graphics card. Thing is in desktop terms, the 9500GT is considered very lite gaming and is more of a HTPC graphic card. What to make of a 9400 Mobile version???

from what i read, chop a Macbook and install windows either via bootcamp (recommended) or virtualization like parallels (geek-ness :))

i have been using the same macbook for so many years and so far the only thing i had to replace was the battery for a couple more years of life and my usage is mostly the same as yours.

i bought a thinkpad with 15.4 inch screen, 8600gt gfx card, 2gb ram, 2.2ghz with 3mb L2 cache, 160gb hdd for S$1400. i would say similar specs to a MBP but at half the price.

honestly, buy a small laptop, doesnt matter if editing photos take a long time on it, since you're not working from it on long periods of time. you go home everyday, so you can always wait to do it on the PC.

my high-speced laptop is now sitting at home mostly and i dread bringing it along for dive trips because it weighs a ton. im considering getting a netbook to replace it.

laptops should be light and portable so you will actually bring them out! pretty much like a tripod if you think about it.

but if it's going to be your only computer, then its a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.