Ok to use LCD monitor to do DI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Nov 15, 2002
www.pixelpixie.biz
This is something I have wondered for a long time. I have heard that the quality of LCD screens is not good enough (not enough contrast, not sharp, etc) compared to traditional CRTs for photo editing. What do you guys think? Esp those of you who owns one.

Are LCDs monitors good enough now to do the job?

I upgraded from a 21" Sony tube CRT to 20" LCD

The very first thing that i can feel : Much lesser strain to the eyes

Personally I rpefer the LCD than CRT. I spend long hours in front of the screen and I find LCD to be less straining to the eyes. Maybe because of no radiation.:dunno:

Yes of coz, just beware that most LCD has less contrast than CRT, and is usually needs some calibration.

BTW, have been using LCD to do editing for years now.

Wai said:
I upgraded from a 21" Sony tube CRT to 20" LCD

The very first thing that i can feel : Much lesser strain to the eyes
What LCD do u get and how much? Sony 21" is a good tube, isn't it? Why upgrading?

tomshen said:
What LCD do u get and how much? Sony 21" is a good tube, isn't it? Why upgrading?

Look out for those with high contrast ratio (mine is 400:1), respond time doesn't matter unless you play fast shooting games (mine is 25ms only and i am ok with it, gamers will look for 16ms and below). But if you are using a laptop, then too bad, unless you are getting for a powerbook, else the contrast will be really bad.

Sony 21" is definitely the best CRT around, good colour and sharpeness, but u know i stare at the screen at least 12 hours a day and i can't afford to wear glasses in future (one can't shoot with glasses on), so in the end i invested in a LCD monitor instead (actually 2 sets for dual screen). Now my eyes won't get tired even after long hours, but bad thing is i can work until 7am without realised. :(

P.S. I know someone is selling his 20" LCD, u want? cost around an used 28-70L

Thanks Wai, but I am not into LCD for now. No more investment in hobby, need to save more for other stuff :D btw, which brand/model do u get? At present I use a 17" CRT (viewsonic diamontron tube), still ok for now.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like an LCD is a worthy investment... :think:

I'm using LCD at home, CRT in office. Seems like LCD shows noise & hot pixels very prominently.

I am using mostly my laptop's calibrated lcd. At home I am using a 17" sony crt. For long hours, the lcd is less taxing on the eyes. To me lcd also shows highlights better. But colors on the crt looks more natural.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.