Ok to store ur camera in a air tight container?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1kid

Sep 22, 2008
as above... I bought a D90 on last saturday just wondering if is it ok to store the DSLR on the air tight container and inside put thristy hippo? I wanted to buy a dry box but at Tk photo there they dun sell le and i went to supermarket to look for it also dun have... Cos my budget also very tight after buying up the D90 plus a DSLR bag no money le therefore no money to buy cabinet.

as above... I bought a D90 on last saturday just wondering if is it ok to store the DSLR on the air tight container and inside put thristy hippo? I wanted to buy a dry box but at Tk photo there they dun sell le and i went to supermarket to look for it also dun have... Cos my budget also very tight after buying up the D90 plus a DSLR bag no money le therefore no money to buy cabinet.

ya u can.

but in the long run this may be even more expensive then u getting proper dry box or cabinet. thirsty hippo are not cheap.

thirsty hippo maybe a little too dessicating also. i don't suggest u use this method in the long run.

u can do it..
i think no much different with dry box

also good if you put thirsty hippo. some stores sell it at $1/box

i just bought a dry box from Lord's Camera (#01-79 at Lucky Plaza) for $30. it is big enough for a body and 2 lens. comes with a manual hydrometer built into its lid (very useful). but you have to buy silica gel too ($4-$5 per bottle). i've just used 1/10th of the silica gel in a Body Shop scrub container. its been 2 days now and the silica gel still look bright blue, not sure how long before the whole bottle is exhausted though.. ;p

i'm new to DSLR too and only have a D80 w/18-135 kit lens. ;)

if u want to save some money and in the end your new camera get fungus its your choice, afterall, you already spent so much on a camera why want to save that $105 (price based from paris silk) on a dry cabinet?

Tight container doesn't means safe, it means moisture are trapped.

Yes you may want to use thirsty hippo, but i had read that it's really thirsty and it can dry up the oils in your lens (depending on the size of your container, the smaller means more drier and if box is big, may not achieve the dry level).

How about using silica gels? wat if you forget to change? I am sure you will, cos soon you will heck care.

Dun risk lah, just get a basic entry dry cabinet.

ya u can.

but in the long run this may be even more expensive then u getting proper dry box or cabinet. thirsty hippo are not cheap.

thirsty hippo maybe a little too dessicating also. i don't suggest u use this method in the long run.

ya i agree too but now my cash really tight. i just a student... eh any cheap cabinet to intro?

ya i agree too but now my cash really tight. i just a student... eh any cheap cabinet to intro?

either try some 2nd hand ones in B&S,
or, just get a simple dry box for the time being ($20-$30).

Work within your budget and let not photography be a burden. Importantly, shoot more keeps the fungus away.

either try some 2nd hand ones in B&S,
or, just get a simple dry box for the time being ($20-$30).

instead of spenting this $20-30 to get a dry box, i rather he spend more now.

cos the cost is going to be $105 (price for getting a new dry cabinet) + $20-30 (redundant after buying dry box) :)

too dry = cracked rubber = bad

Sorry whats the difference between a dry box and those air tight tupperware container?

Must you still put silica gel into the dry box?

I just got one of those plastic air tight container from isetan while it was on sale and put some silica gel in.

Sorry whats the difference between a dry box and those air tight tupperware container?

Must you still put silica gel into the dry box?

I just got one of those plastic air tight container from isetan while it was on sale and put some silica gel in.

dry box is just the same as tight tupperware container? except there is a hydrometer on it?

regardless which type, u still need silica gel to suck the moisture.

if your equipment is DSLR + lens i wun recommend using a dry box or tight tupper ware unless its a pns camera. Otherwise dun risk it. why scrimp a $100 odd dry cabinet when u can jolly well afford a DSLR and lenses, then later you pay more more or worst still unrepairable due to fungus infestation on your equipments?

Last edited:
I used to do this... it's definitely fine. Just have something in there that sucks in moisture. Thirsty Hippo works well, but takes a lot of space.

Do not put thirsty hippos with your camera. When they become wet, your camera may drown.

Air tight.. doesnt mean no moist.. u still need to get rid of the miost inside the box..

Do your maths, and use a little common sense, see which is more worthwhile.

cost of lens and camera clearing > $150.00 and it is not cover by camera warranty

cost of small dry cabinet ≤ $120.00 and dry cabinet have 3~5 years warranty.

long term cost of dry box plus drying agent including effort of maintenance > dry cab

Does tupperware provide a hygrometer? Hardware shops sell them, of course. Heard about the cheapest being 10 bucks, usual prices are about 20+. Thirsty hiipo might be dirt cheap but you can't really control humidity. Silica gel is also cheap but less healthy. Add this to the catchlight's calculation then and the option "dry cabinet" becomes even clearer.

Last edited:
Buy a dry cabinet as soon as you can. Put off buying other accessories for the time being if money is that tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.